Need DT770 advice (was it my fault they broke?) (beyer repair experience anyone?)
Jan 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ebmp19

Head-Fier
I got a pair of beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250OHM headphones for christmas. If you didn't know already they have a coiled cable. They have recently become broken. They constantly make a static kind of noise and I found if I move the cable it goes away or one of the ears stops working. They didn't make this constant noise before (although I thought I could hear a bit of static and I even posted a thread before). The coiled cable seems to put weight on the connection to the ear, but I am guessing it should be build to handle that (and from what people say even a bit of abuse over the years). The only other thing I can think of is my brother played with the cable with his finger sometimes (I even banned him from listening to them just so he didn't damage them over time), but  I don't think they would be that weak. Are they just faulty and bad luck, or do I need to be super careful with them? Maybe I should try and get a refund and get the 80OHM so the cable weight doesn't hurt the headphones? 

One more thing - Has anyone ever dealt with Beyerdynamic before concerning repairs? I bought them from a shop in Melbourne called 'Addicted to Audio'. I really hope I don't have to wait for them to be shipped all the way to Germany and back as that will take like a month... :frowning2:    Also particularly bad because I pre-ordered the fiio e17 for my birthday and I wanted to use it with them. Now I guess I will have to use it with the RE-0 that I ordered as well but I don't think it will improve the sound too much for them.

Thanks  guys

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Either you've been doing some major tugging on the cables on there's some shotty soldering. The latter happened to my DT880 when I first received. Their repairs is very good, but I dealt with the NYC branch. Fixed it for me and sent it back promptly and covered shipping on both ends.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Well that sounds good to me. I hope they cover my shipping too! I definitely have not been tugging on them, I try take take very good care of them. I haven't pulled on them or anything. The worst I would have done was twiddle the cable a bit or move away a bit so the weight of the cable wasn't resting on my lap. How long did they take to repair yours? I doubt they have an Australia branch 

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 7
I agree it probably took an hour when they got to it. I think soldering takes a bit of practice though, and it probably needs to be a bit precise here. not to mention I would probably crack the headphones into 10k pieces trying to open them LoL

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Haha I recently purchased the 250 ohm version as well, I have to agree the coiled  cables weigh quite a bit. I was very paranoid about the connection coming loose due to the weight or accidental tugging so this is what I did, I reinforced the cable connection at the left can with L-shaped acrylic tape against the can itself and attached a clip on where the coil starts to distribute the weight of the cable to my shirt whenever I'm using them. Haha I hope this really helps to prolong the cable life ><

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 7
I use a straight cord extension to my amp and keep the coiled cord part on my lap.  If you want to go whole hog you could probably cut the cable about a foot away from the left cup (removing all the coiled part) and add a 1/4" fitting here.  Then use a straight cable extension all the way to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back