Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Dec 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aidenator

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of HD650's for Christmas and love them when I am listening through our system, however much less impressed when listening through an iPod or my laptop. I am looking for a good portable amp on them, for under 150 (I would hope anyway) Thanks!

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 15
The fiio e9k would be an option for your laptop use.  You could try the fiio e11 for your ipod.  Not sure if they would be a good fit though as I have read the 650's don't play well with some audio equipment.

Here's a thread with a similar discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628846/fiio-e17-to-drive-sennheiser-hd650

Hope this helps.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 15
Or if you want a nice all in one, you could try the fiio e7. I think it's very close to the point of diminishing returns and probably indistinguishable from something like the O2+ODAC, but I'm not certain of that. Haven't heard it myself.

*shrugs*

Those are the two things I'd look at myself, e7 or O2+ODAC.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 15
plug your 650 into the DacportLX ...clear,  energetic, straight off your laptop
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 15
save up for something decent like a RSA P51 or Hornet.  WAY better than that Fiio chinese crud.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi guys.

I have a similar question. I would like to improve the sound of the ipod. I will get the rockbox and a dac+amp.
First - can we bypass the ipod's dac?
Second - can a portable amp like fiio be used with the ipod, on the laptop and finally as a dac connected to a desktop amp?
Thanks.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 15
The only portable dac that i know to date that can bypasses idevices are Centrance M8, Fostex hpp1, NuFore iDo and CLAS (dac only - need external amps).
Yes, Fiio can be used with the ipod but it will not bypass the ipod internal DAC. Some Fiio products it has DAC function (such as Fiio E17) but only be paired with laptop/pc (not ipod).
I hope this help :)

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 15
One approach is to invest in a portable amp and a LOD cable.
The LOD bypasses the iPod's amplifier circuit (but not its DAC),
giving you a more clarity.  That's how I do my portable setup
and really quite enjoy it.

I'm sure a combined DAC/AMP unit would be nice and I 
may go that way in time.  But to start I wanted to put as
much into the amp as I could.  Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back