Need amp for HD650 - PLEASE HELP
Jan 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TomKure

Head-Fier
Hello there, this is my first post here, so please, be kind... :p
Here's my story. I'm form the Czech rep. (so excuse my English) and I'm 21 (or more precisely will be - on 25th january).
Since my approx. 10 years I have been wandering "How can anyone listen to 128 kbps MP3?" - yes, in that early age 128 kbps mp3 wasn't enough for me (high frequencies full of artifacts and poorly interpreted sharp attacks...). I started dowloading music in 192 kbps joint-stereo, buying originals, downloading OGG Vorbis, lossless etc... Recently I started to upgrade my audio equipment as well. I bought M-Audio AV40 and ESI U24 XL, they weren't enough, so I bought M-Audio BX5a Deluxe and E-MU 0404 USB (along with Cowon D2, Sansa Fuze, Senns PMX100, PMX200, CX95, HD280 pro, ...) and finaly the mighty HD 650. I listed this stuff here just to make you believe that I HAVE ALMOST NO MONEY LEFT, it's quite hard for me even to buy food & clothes... The thing is: The headphone out on the 0404 usb has maybe a little weak bass (not exactly sure about this) and too sharp heights (sure).
I have read a lot about the 0404 usb's headphone amp and what I have read mostly confirms my feelings. Sometimes the sharp agressive heights tear my eardrums and sometimes I can't notice anything (maybe volume/genre-dependant). Mostly the 0404 usb's max. volume is enough, but on some quiet songs I have to turn the volume all the way up.
The HD650's are 300ohm and the 0404 usb's headphone amp is only 20mW. I would like to ask ANYONE who could advise me a little:

1) Is the 0404 USB's amp really that weak/aggressive?
2) Is the amp really NOT powerful enough to drive the Senns properly?
3) Is Graham Slee Novo good choice for the 0404 usb (as a DAC) and HD650 combination? -or-
4) Is there any other £230 amp, which would fit my situation better?
5) Can I connect the amp to the 0404 usb's headphone-out ('cause I'm using the line-out for my monitors and don't want to be switching the plugs all the time...)

I really cannot spend any more money on the amp, because I'm planning to buy new laptop, bike, upgrade my desktop computer etc etc.... and finally I'm leaving my job in 7 months to fully focus on university study, and I really would like to EAT something once a day at least
smily_headphones1.gif

PLEASE, GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE, I want to know if the Novo is really as great as everyone mentions... I have read at least 100 threads on at least 5 forums about this, but I couldn't find a specific answer for my case.
The music I like to listen to is: 90's alt. rock/grunge, thrash metal, 90's pop-rock, Drum & Bass, Psychedelic trance and sometimes even classical...

Thanks all of you in advance!!!

Tomas

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 25
Hi, I am new here too, I picked up a Dugood EA600 yesterday, it said on the brochure that is uses the Senn HD-600 for tuning, so I guess it is close enough for HD-650. I have only tried it on my Alessandro M-Pro and it is not bad for the price, only HK$450 or US$58

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 25
The 0404 is not a very good amp for the 650's in my opinion. I use a darkvoice 332 with my 650's and it sounds great.

I saw this thread about a couple found in storage, drop them a line and see how much they will let you have it for. I paid approx £270 for mine but if its the last one you never know.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 25
Get a woo or a darkvoice, just be prepared to buy lots of tubes to try out

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a woo or a darkvoice, just be prepared to buy lots of tubes to try out

May I ask, do you know some good places that offer a variety of tubes at great prices?

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I started to upgrade my audio equipment as well. I bought M-Audio AV40 and ESI U24 XL, they weren't enough, so I bought M-Audio BX5a Deluxe and E-MU 0404 USB (along with Cowon D2, Sansa Fuze, Senns PMX100, PMX200, CX95, HD280 pro, ...) and finaly the mighty HD 650. I listed this stuff here just to make you believe that I HAVE ALMOST NO MONEY LEFT, it's quite hard for me even to buy food & clothes... The thing is: The headphone out on the 0404 usb has maybe a little weak bass (not exactly sure about this) and too sharp heights (sure).

I really cannot spend any more money on the amp, because I'm planning to buy new laptop, bike, upgrade my desktop computer etc etc.... and finally I'm leaving my job in 7 months to fully focus on university study, and I really would like to EAT something once a day at least

My advice would be to slow down. Sell off some of the excess gear, might take a little bit of loss doing that, but also be patient and don't sell it off too cheap for an instant sale.

I don't know much about the 0404 usb unit, but make sure some of the sound characteristics you've found not to your liking from it are from the headphone amp section and not from the DAC section too.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 25
You can always join Team Ramen and eat more than once a day!

But seriously if you are having problems buying food I would put hobby stuff on the back burner. Headphone gear is something you buy with your savings account, not your wallet, despite what many say here about wallets!

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you

I like doing business with TubeWorld but you wont get a break on prices. You can get lucky on eBay if your patient.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 25
Wow thanks for so many replies!

1) I cannot use RCA splitters, because my monitors are connected with a balanced TRS to the 0404 USB. There is a 1/8" stereo TRS alternative output next to the main 1/4" outputs, maybe I could use this and turn the monitors off while listening to headphones. But I'm so lazy and damn monitors have each it's own power switch
frown.gif

Would it really be so bad to use the 0404 USB's headphone out to connect the headphone amp to? Because I just love having separate volume knobs for each speakers and headphones at the same time... :p

2) I'm not really starving, it was a little hyperbole, but it's true that since I'm buying audio equipment, I have been eating not-so-healthy food (read: a little cheaper food). And after I bought the HD 650's I was wery close to being eating bread only
biggrin.gif

I don't like spending money on clothes...it's not like I look like a hobo, I just don't wear latest fashions...

3) Tubes? I know the best amps are the tube-y ones (from what I've read), but I don't know if I would like the messing around with different tubes... Or is there some "good" tube amp for say £240 or $320 (including all the necessary tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
)? (I remember my grandfather had a garage full of old tubes, don't know whre they're gone to...)

Sorry but £240 or $320 are my limits, I hope the shipping form the UK to CZ is not more than £30 and from USA to CZ not more than $60... If it is, my spendable maximum would drop adequately.

4) I would sell my older equipment, the AV40's and the ESI U24 XL, but I plan to use these with my future (hopefully near future) laptop (as I am a starting psytrance DJ). I don't like selling anything I ever bought (until really necessary or useless) anyway...
I don't think the sound of the 0404 USB's DAC is an issue, because the sharp and aggressive sound signature appeared only when I set the wolume to the max (or near the max - approx 4 'o clock). When I tried to listen with the HD650 directly to the card's line-out, the sound was weak and quiet, but not sharp or aggressive.

5) I really like what I found on the internet about he GS Novo, so I would like to hear your opinions on it, I like it's looks, it's price and would like to know how it sounds. I know there are threads about it, but noone directly wrote anything about combination 0404 USB -> GS Novo -> HD 650... I believe it would sound better than the 650's directly from the EMU, but...is there anything NEW (no second+ -hand) for +- the same price, that would sound better? (I want to get rid of the sharp heights at least a bit and a little more control over the bass + 20Hz at not less than -1db @ 300 ohms...; I'm not looking for warm or cold or whatever sound, just something noticeably better than the EMU's amp, with good value for the $$, that could be called "Good headphone amp for £230" - new)

Thanks again
Tomas

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 25
Hi Tomas,

I have had a similar experience to yours with the EMU-0404 USB and the Sennheiser HD-650 and I always found that the combination lacked bass and was too bright. Also, while the sound is detailed, it is very fatiguing.

In fact even a Zero DAC (with OPA627 in the DAC section and LM4562 in the head-amp section) is a step up using headphones : it has a much better driving capability.

If you are looking into to tube gear, Little Dot seem to make good ones. I own a little Dot MKIII and I found that it smooths the sound of the EMU-0404 USB but you loose in resolution.

Or if you are looking into solid state gear, Audio-gd makes excellent gear. You can look at my review of the DAC-100 and ST-3 headphone amp, the review of the C2C by Currawong or read the thread obout the upcoming compass. Untill now, everybody seems to be satisfied with Audio-GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back