need advice with 100€ - 160 € range
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Calcifar

New Head-Fier
Heya,

First off, i hope this is the right Sub- forum to ask for advice, if not, then my apologies.

So recently i decided to replace my crappy onboard- soundcard and 30€ Headset with something good.

I purchased a Asus DX from Amazone aswell as a Audio Technica ATH A700.
The difference in sound quality is stunning and Im finding myself going back to older music and re- listening to it, just wow.

That said, I have never been very informed about audio configurations and the things which come with this.

My problem is though, that the A700 are not only frackin huge and slightly too heavy but also the leather- cups actually really annoy me. It just gets too warm under them and im feeling much pressure on my head from them.

So, while I am very satisfied with the sound of the phones, I just find them quite uncomfortable.

I am planning to return the ATH A700 for something else but I am very unsure what that should be.
So far Ive red good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770 but red they are heavy on the base, which worries me that other ranges would suffer from this, the A700 seemed quite balanced so I would prefer something similiar.

Of course, I am going to state what Im actually intending to use these headphones for :

Music

I listen to electronic music quite alot, such as ambient but also some house and other sub genres.
Then there is orchestral music which i also listen to quite a bit and alot of Audiobooks.

As you can see, quite the mixed bag here. I honestly dont know much about mid- ranged, low- ranges and such things but the ATH A700 seemed quite balanced to me with a slight emphasize  on the bass ?
Im no "basshead" as constant base just gives me a headache but some rich base would be nice of course, without losing out in the other ranges ? again the A700 seems good here.

Gaming

Well yeah, I do game alot on my comp, Goes from RPGs, with much vocal from characters and orchestral music and sound effects, to strategy such as Civ and whatnot. So im guessing solid high- and- mid - ranges would be important here.

Voice programs

I make us of voice chats heavily, on a daily basis, think ventrilo, mumble, Teamspeak, skype;

Im really happy with the A700 but the comfort just isnt there and I need to look for something a tad smaller and no leather- cups.

Im certain there are some helpful Audio-philes here who can point me to the right direction ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back