Need advice to choose between the beyerdynamic T1 and audio technica w3000anv
Mar 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

azureaura

100+ Head-Fier
Can a horizontal slider rating be done to assess the sound of these in different aspects. Is the treble on the T1 not a problem, as long as the source is good enough? which of these is scalable, and responds to upgrades in source components? Is the w3000anv's detail retrieval good, though behind the T1?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Can a horizontal slider rating be done to assess the sound of these in different aspects. Is the treble on the T1 not a problem, as long as the source is good enough? which of these is scalable, and responds to upgrades in source components? Is the w3000anv's detail retrieval good, though behind the T1?

I have both now.  Get the:        Drum roll please...............................

HD800..

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 19
^ this,      Drum Roll    and a tish/boom  

in spades. Especially when the HD800 has the anax mod.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 19
havent heard the W3000ANV, but the T1 is a very good headphone, can't go wrong with it when paired with a nice tube amp 
wink.gif
, also look into the HD 800 which is very nice as well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 19
1 month bump 
wink_face.gif

If the OP is still interested, I've had the W3000ANV for around half a year and although they are very source picky, their detail retrieval is subpar at the price IMO.  That's not to say that they're bad, their sig is one of the most seducing I've heard, but don't buy them expecting anything remotely close to an HD800 in terms of detail retrieval.

As for source upgrades, these do respond fairly well to upgrades, but from what I've heard between 2 or 3 amps the difference isn't phenomenal.  These don't need a lot of juice to power and most of the amp improvements I've heard have been in the upper range and in the treble.  Hope that helps

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 19
The w3000anv focused more on mids while the T1 very broad wide and open, more so than the T90, wich had more intimate vocals. Both had slight level detail increase but I found myself turning up the volume more on the others to get similar level of midrange involvement as I got with the w3000anv.
They are very different sonic signatures and I prefer the w3000anv, then T90, then T1. I was amazed at the HD800 yet it is not necessary to go that high to get musicality wich all mentioned provide it in spades..

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 19
this is a great step forward. The W3000 is a really attractive headphones on many aspects. The best mediums I heard. I sometimes find it a little lack of dynamics and control in the bass. My source is not very good, may be a better amp in the future but I do not know which one to choose.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 19
W3000 is better (as always stated, great mids/vocals, but I think the overall tonality, even the bass, is top notch and supremely natural and also well defined and well balanced).
The T1s are more comfortable though (in fact the T1s were extremely comfortable to me, light and friendly).
The W3000s have the strange AT wing system that makes them feel like they are falling off sometimes and the pads can annoyingly press lightly on your ears if they are too big or
stick out. The W3000s seem to feel much better if I am sitting up at my desk.
But the W3000s sound great, right up there with all flagships.

I sold my T1s but I am keeping my W3000s.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 19
I owned both at the same time on the same rig. An AGD dac (can't remember which) and AGD C-2 SA amp. The T1 trounced the W3000 in every single aspect other than vocals imo. I absolutely LOVED the T1 vocals fwiw, but  the ANV's were simply angelic. Vocals aside, those T1s easily sounded a tier above the AT's, which I would probably not have kept even if they were $500. YMMV.

-Daniel

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 19
The T1 is technically a better headphone, but the W3000 has its own magic that a lot of people love. It comes down to accuracy vs euphony IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back