Need Advice on Headphones for audio engineering (recording, mixing and mastering)
Jul 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Averruncus

Head-Fier
Yes I know, I should never mix on headphones in the first place, my lecturer has warned me about this before.

But what can a poor pre-university student do? It is possible anyway...

Back to the question, I need recommendations for a good pair of headphones I can use for my audio engineering work. Since I figure I won't be able to use the recording studio as much as I would like, I would like to do rough mixes (or complete mixes if i'm desperate) on my laptop before bringing it to the studio. If possible i would like to use them for causal listening too...

What I'm looking for:
- Neutral or flat (I don't really know the difference...) response.
- Detailed
- Easy to drive (If possible... I have an Arrow HE ordered if that helps)
- Large soundstage with good seperation
- Anything else i might have missed (Still a newbie...)

Currently looking at:
ATH-M50 - which I have auditioned before and love - the bass worries me though... its seems too strong to be neutral, but I read somewhere that professionals have used these to mix (can anyone confirm this?).
SRH440/880 - which I have auditioned and hated - more neutral maybe?
DT770/880/990 - which I wanted to audition but the shopkeepers seems reluctant to let me =(...
HD600 - Same as above (well... its my fault for being timid anyway...)
FA003 - Not available in Singapore ATM... will be in 1-2 weeks time...

Anyone have any recommendation/advice/comments?

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 5
K-702 + Duet (if you are a Mac user). Other options will be the GMP 8.35, or the K-271MKll. The M-50 I'll keep for the last choice. The second group of hps are more for tracking and not relay for mastering. About the professionals and the M-50, I know that GML promote the M-50 as studio hps.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Unfortunately I'm not a mac user (too high price to value ratio) and have to go for more cost efficient laptops. I believe I read your review for GMP 8.35 before but didn't pay much attention to German Maestro since they aren't really as popular, will do more research on them though.

I have considered the AKG K701 which more ppl seem to recommend (and a lot of ppl are selling 2nd hand) but I had a gut feeling I would prefer Senn HD600/650. Don't know much about K702 or K-271MKII. Will see if my local stores have them for audition...

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Sony 7506 Good entry level..DT100/DT48 (But best used as a monitoring tool) I'd also look into the Maestro/Fischer line.. &, of course, you can't go wrong with the HD600, which many prefer over the 701 for studio use..

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Never heard them, but I'd add the mdr-7509. Supposed to be a nice step up from the v6 and easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back