Need advice on great set of headphones. Please
Dec 2, 2010 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

trackfiend88

New Head-Fier
Just joined head fi.
But been reading threads for about month researching on a good pair of headphones.

But it seems the more I read the more indecisive I get.

So I am asking you guys with more experience on this subject to help me out.

Everyone is different and has different tastes
So Ill explain alittle about myself.

I listen to alittle of everything. Really depends on my mood at the moment.
But I do lean more towards these 3
1. House/Electric/Dubstep
2. Hip/hop
3. Rock---From Jack Johnson to Incubus to Killswitch Engage.

Headphone wise---- Im looking for something closed not to disturb others if I am using them public.
Price Range.  Pretty open --Im going to guess the most is 200

I will be plugging them into either my laptop or my iphone 4.

This will be my first set of Good over ear headphones.

Futur plans.  Im growing a interest more everyday with DJ/Mixing/Producing
 And I know after I use my first pair of headphones I will want something that focuses more on mixing and producing.

Some headphones that I have looked at recently are:
HD 280 pro
SRH 840

Thanks in advance for your advice

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Hello and welcome 
smily_headphones1.gif

The shure headphones seems to be good, they are very balanced. How important is the bass for you? 

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Another vote for the SRH840.  They are also considered studio monitors, and they have great tonal balance and incredible detail.  They also sound good out unamplified sources (but do improve with an amp).  Their only downside is their limited soundstage and slight emphasis on the mid-bass.  Great headphone for the price imo.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 12
So you don't like bass? You listen to hip hop with highs boosted and bass down? Kind of strange because I always found electronic cymbals to be painful to listen to when emphasized.

For djing, the sennheiser HD 25 looks to be a top competitor

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 12
to wind016
its not that i dont like bass...i just dont like being in cars when the bass is way to high for the song itself.  If that makes sense. I like a balanced sound. where the bass feels strong but isnt overpowering the rest of the sound.

And for the treble high for house music.  Maybe your right I never really tried lowering it when listening to house. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
to wind016
its not that i dont like bass...i just dont like being in cars when the bass is way to high for the song itself.  If that makes sense. I like a balanced sound. where the bass feels strong but isnt overpowering the rest of the sound.

And for the treble high for house music.  Maybe your right I never really tried lowering it when listening to house. 

Even the bassiests of headphones which are acceptable by audiophile standards are nothing like the car sound  system bass. trust me nothing like that is possible or pleasurable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back