Need advice for my first serious headphones; Sennheiser HD558/RS220/RS180/RS170
May 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mumer8637

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I currently own a Corsair Vengeance 1500 gaming headset so I am officially a Noob at Head-Fi.
atsmile.gif

After reading a lot, a lot, a lot of reviews and forums posts (for the past two months), I have decided to buy a serious headset; or my first serious headset to put it this way.
I'll try to clear everything I can in this one post but apologies if I am unable to do so.

I own an Alienware M18xR2 because I need serious performance and mobility at the same time because I am a student.
It has a 'Creative Sound blaster Recon3Di' which is (seems) pretty decent.

Open cans are new to me but since they are more natural and better in most ways and since my living setup allows me to use it, I might give it a go.
At the same time, I'd prefer wireless freedom; not that I like to move with headphones, just that it helps maintains a clean desk (which is important to me).

My current short list is:
Open cans:
Sennheiser HD558
Sennheiser RS220
Sennheiser RS180

Closed cans:
Sennheiser RS170

While I don't have a fixed budget, I'd like to keep it under £200 / $300.
And yeah, the headphone should visually look good as well which is why the AD700 (ugly; in my mind) and HD598 (horrible color; in my mind) are not in the list.

My use would be 33.3% gaming, 33.3% movies/tv-shows, 33.3% music and 0.1% windows sounds.
biggrin.gif

I prefer deep bass but not extreme. For a reference point, something a little higher than my Corsair 1500 with custom bassy EQ would be perfect.
My music sources aren't that high-end. Usually 256kbps AAC variable and 320kbps MP3 variable. I do listen to FLAC sources but very rarely.

From the reviews and my requirements, the HD558 is a masterpiece (within price range obviously) for gaming, music and movies because of wide sound-stage and decent bass but like I said earlier, I would prefer, I'll repeat prefer, wireless!
The RS180 doesn't seems to have good reviews so there's a low change if it'll stay in my shortlist and the RS220s are a bit too expensive - I wouldn't mind buying them if they are worth the extra.
On the dark side of the moon, the RS170 are the best closed headsets that seems to fulfill my job and are my only choice if I decided to go with a closed can headset.

The questions:
1. How far would you prefer open cans over closed cans given I can use open cans in my living environment?
2. How would you rate the headphones in my short list?
3. Would you recommend anything else for my requirement (I would prefer to stick with Sennheiser for my first serious headset)?

EDIT:
4. Would you recommend any DAC for my shortlist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back