Need advice for gamer/music lover
Sep 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

colon

New Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying I am a big gamer (PC) and music listener specifically shooters and electronica : drum n bass specifically. I have little to no experience with audiophile set of cans. I have read the forums here to try to find the right pair of cans, but I need some advice to find the right pair.

1. I need something I can wear for hours without too much discomfort (Over the ear: Closed or Open)

2. Something with a great soundstage especially great lows but not too overpowering where its the only thing I hear

3. I want something well worth the investment. Basically mind = blown

4. Current budget is $150 few weeks can push it to $200 if needed

5. Also a soundcard/amp or even portable amp for the pair of cans

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 5
ATH AD 700's. Great for gaming. Dont know much about amps, but I do know that for a littlle over your range you can get the astro mix amp, which is fantastic for gaming.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 5
AD700 is notoriously lean on bass, which doesn't bode well for its future in DnB.

Maybe something in the beyer dt series would be better.
The problem is that bass that you can feel is also really bad for competitive gaming,
where detail and positioning matter more than immersion and atmospherics.

If you don't need to track foot steps and listen for other small details, I would shy away from the AD700 for your music tastes.
The lower impedance beyers can be run on Mobo sound without problems.

Closed headphones generally have more of the kind of bass that's good with electronica;
open headphones generally have the soundstage that's good for gaming(competitive). 

Note: wow prices for the beyers on amazon have skyrocketed since I was last paying attention. Used be like ~220 or so. You might want to look at ebay and the for sale forum here.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
3. I want something well worth the investment. Basically mind = blown

Nope, perhaps my third pair of expensive headphone and no "mind blown", except for very specific genres / songs.
You might prefer good speakers. I  like the "intimate" aspect of headphones.

If you are interested by DNB, then I  would look for  hfi-780, xb-700
I guess having the "mind blown" in this case would mean ton of quality bass.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion extrabigmehdi, I'll look into those, although I guess what I was trying to imply about mind = blown, is just the fact that I want to move up into a nice pair of audiophile cans. Going from cheap to a quality pair, to really distinguish what it means to have a audiophile level headset.

hfi-780 seem uncomfortable for extended periods of time.

xb-700 seem worth a shot although they seem to get a bit hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back