Need advice for ~Audiophile~ cans with good sound.
Jun 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cutless009

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm new here, signed up and been poking around, and finally decided to post.

I'm in the market for some new headphones.  Right now I have SteelSeries 3H headphones and I hate them.  They have a hinge at the top that doesn't open wide enough for my head, so the stress eventually broke that piece, and they press really hard on my ears which downright hurts after a while, and the sound is just nothing to write home about.

I've been considering either the Denon D2000 or Audio Technica ATH-M50S as replacement, but I hear something about them sounding "flat" because they are studio headphones?

My needs are as follows:

Comfortable enough for pro-longed used (4-8 hours a day)
Rugged enough to be transported via backpack 5 days a week
Good sound (I use them primarily on my MacBook Pro, which has an equalizer, if that even helps)
Most importantly, I need them to block out outside noise.  I use these when coding, and I need the outside world to go away while I do my thing.  The more "in my own little world" I am, the better my work is.  This is the point of these headphones entirely.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 12
The M50s will definitely work for blocking out a lot of sound, though I don't know if they could muffle a baby screaming or something like that.  However, I found them to be a little uncomfortable even after stretching them out.  They clamp so they don't fall off your head, but some find them pretty comfortable.  For me, the comfort paled in comparison to Denon D1001, which sounds pretty similar except the M50s have a bit more treble.  I sold my Denon D1001s a long time ago to try out many other different headphones including the M50s, but found myself coming back to the Denon D1001 (in the form of Creative Aurvana Live! which is the same thing).  With any fairly neutral headphone, some songs may sound like crap without using an EQ, others will sound great.  More often than not though it will sound good unless your entire music collection is lo-fi music like punk or black metal, then I don't think it'd make sense to pay a lot for a pair of headphones.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 12

You would not want to toss around a D2000.  The connection of the band to the earpiece is their weak point.

Denon 1001's are a little more solid, but still mostly if not all plastic and don't fold into a more compact shape.  They are very comfortable and the Creative version is cheap enough you might risk them in a bag without worry.

M50 folds up and most find it durable.   Guitar center i believe has them out often for demo units.

I don't recall reading either the M50 and D2000 being flat.   I believe it is recessed mids on the d2000 and don't recall the knocks on the m50.   Most like/enjoy the m50 sound.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 12
So for ruggedness the M50 is best, and they have good sound as well?  I can pick them up for $107 shipped atm, and Im ready to pull the trigger unless somebody can suggest something that would fit my needs better.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 12
A couple other options to research:
Sennheiser 25-1
AKG K81 or K181
Shure SRH 840 or 750DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back