Need a warm and slightly darker than average headphone.
Jul 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the PXC450, so I can't compare the Shures to them, but I can't think of anything in that $350 range that will meet all your requirements as well as the Shures - they are well-tailored for your needs and most who have heard them agree that they punch far outside their price range.

You can spend up to $350 on closed Denons (not particularly dark, lots of leakage, no isolation, not portable), Ultrasones (based on what I read, not particularly dark despite somewhat overemphasized bass), or ATs (ESW9/10 aren't over the ear, other than that I don't know much about their sound but I don't think they're dark/bassy) but, as you can see, none of them will be as complete an accounting of your needs as the Shures.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Denon D2000/D5000, Ultrasone Pro 700/900/HFI780, and AT ESW9/10 are the only closed headphones that are more expensive than the Shures but still potentially in your price range - and I think there are good reasons to take Shures over all of them, despite them costing less.

Alright. They're nr. 1 on my list, but ill wait quite a while before i decide. And i looked at some pictures, do they touch you ear a lot when they're on?

And what about the beyer DT series I know theyre semi open but other than that.

Oh nvm, found out they're quite bright

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 33
They do touch your ear a decent amount - it's not a huge opening for your ear, so depending on the size of your ears you may touch a great deal.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 33
This must be the first topic I see where the benefit of an amp is needed...
tongue.gif

No offence, but why did you buy that P3 in the first place if you have no headphone that needs it?

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This must be the first topic I see where the benefit of an amp is needed...
tongue.gif

No offence, but why did you buy that P3 in the first place if you have no headphone that needs it?

My PXC 450 benefits good/great from it..? I'm upgrading, not getting my first pair. The former ones i had were too bright for my taste. It made fans etc. on the recordings sound louder than they should and didnt alwaus get my foot kicking. Ill wait half a year to see if anything else has joined the market. Right now, there probably isnt a headphone that contains exactly what im looking for.

Ive seen people wanting high impedance and not caring bout the SQ, just knowing that theyøø have their amp doing its full potentual

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 33
Some suggestions:
Kenwood KH-K1000
M-Audio Q40 with Beyer leather earpads or DT770 velour pads.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some suggestions:
Kenwood KH-K1000
M-Audio Q40 with Beyer leather earpads or DT770 velour pads.

I read in another post where us aid the k1000 have uncontroled bass, could this be sorted out with a good amp, possibly roll some OPamps?

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read in another post where us aid the k1000 have uncontroled bass, could this be sorted out with a good amp, possibly roll some OPamps?

I have to admit that to me, the bass of the Kenwood was too much.
But at the time I listened to them, I had only a amp suited for higher ohm headphones. The K1000 have a low ohmage.
So maybe a good amp will solve the bass problem I had with them.
I know Headfi-er's Kees and Skylab didn't had any bass problem at all.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 33
So now whats appealing to me are

Shure SRH840
Audio Tec... ATH - ESW10
Kenwood KH1000

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT250 (80 ohm version)-doesn't have exaggerated bass or recessed mids like many closed cans do.
ESW9 (though they are not circumaural)

I'll second the DT250-80 rec. They're a little sibilant fresh out of the box, but that disappears quite quickly. Overall a very dark/warm sound signature, with emphasized, but very controlled bass. It also scales well with amp/DAC upgrades IME.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you ruling out Senn 650s? It's exactly what the thread title calls for...

Yeah that makes the most sense, i guess, but just wanted something i could actually use in public. Will it be driven decently from the P3+?

Ill have to grab some IE 7s to use in public..and then a good cd player for home and then some tube amp to go with it...

****, i just got the headflu.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Yeah that makes the most sense, i guess, but just wanted something i could actually use in public. Will it be driven decently from the P3+?

Yeah they should run fine on that, obviously they will improve from an upgrade but it isn't necessary.

You might be a candidate for Ultrasones, very involving fun headphone indeed. I've heard people say they have a bass emphases but for the music I listen to; electronica, trance, vangelis types it's absolutely spot on. I suppose you could say this gives them a slightly darker sound, however they are not laid back like the Senn 650s or Denon D2000s.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Will it be driven decently from the P3+?

No. It needs a stationary amp. The HD600 will be better from a portable amp but it may not be worth the money compared to something that is more easily driven, i.e. ESW9. I think that one is your best bet.

Alternatively, you can try the Stax SR-001 especially if you want warm sound on the move while carrying an amp. Probably the best sounding system you can get on the move short of custom-molded IEMs but the comfort could be an issue if you don't get the right fit.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 33
D5000. It may not have noise isolation etc but its pretty decent. Heard it at the recent NJ meet and its better than a lot of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back