Need a warm and slightly darker than average headphone.
Jul 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
I messed up buying my first one, NC was not at all something I needed, and what can i say, i bought them before i knew of this site. Anyways Now im prolly just gonna pass them on to my brother for like 100 bucks and be done with it.

Help me figure out a better match for me and have me not trying to justify my purchase, or atleast help.

Budget: -$350, oh and please stay close to this. Telling me about 50 $ headphones is just supid, as i am actually upgrading.
Source: 160 gig iPod Classic / iPod Touch G2 16gig [Lossless]
Amp(iPod - LOD): - iBasso P3+
Type: Over, or if you can convince me, on ear, Closed
Comfort: Very important, replacable earpads would be nice.
Isolation: Its got to be worth getting a closed pair for, and the less leackage the better.
Signature: A little bit of everything. No exaggerated bass, treble or mids for that matter. I want it to sound as natural as possible. I find the P3+ a bit bright and cold, so if There is a slightly warm and darker 'phone, that would be great.
Genres:
40/100 - Rock/Alternative
40/100 - Electronica/Dance/Breakbeat/DnB/Trip - Hop/Lounge
10/100 - Soul/(RnB)
10/100 - Pop, Late 80's early 90's

So judging from that i want a pretty balanced sound. Still though I do believe that I need some good, noticable bass.

For the headphone it self, its SQ>Signature>Comfort

The P3+ should be able to power some pretty heavy cans. As its amp and power is arguably the same as the D10.

Of course i understand that for 350$ these goals are hard to reach. I feel like i need some darker and warmer headphones as i find the ones i have now to amplify hissing noises of fans etc. because of the treble. Ive tried equalizing but then again, that just sounds boring and lifeless.

PS: Do you think pairing a warm darker headphone with what i find bright and
quite cold headphone amp will do good or not?
Hope this was enough info. If not, I'll add whatever you request.

Sincerely

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 33
You could look for a used ESW10 or new ESW9. it is on-ear, but pretty comfortable to me up to an hour or two. The smaller size makes it more suited for portable use and the sound seems to fit your wishes. Easily driven but improving with separate amp.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could look for a used ESW10 or new ESW9. it is on-ear, but pretty comfortable to me up to an hour or two. The smaller size makes it more suited for portable use and the sound seems to fit your wishes. Easily driven but improving with separate amp.

Well really i want to get as much use of my amp as possible. In the future ill prolly buy a mid end sacd player and a home amp, and dont really want to get 1 set for each use, atleast not now.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 33
Up new title

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 33
They were selling these for $350 not too long ago- give 'em a call.

Plus, they'll improve nicely as you upgrade your amp.

EDIT: Forgot the closed preference.
frown.gif
Still, it looks like you light like the 650s.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 33
DT250 (80 ohm version)-doesn't have exaggerated bass or recessed mids like many closed cans do.
ESW9 (though they are not circumaural)

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 33
my K272s sound a little warm to me - much warmer than the K701 and a little warmer than the HD800. and they run just fine without an amp off my Sony A729.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 33
If you know of a quite popular headphone which i can get used, thats fine. Meaning that i dont have to buy at amazon etc.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Shure SRH840 fits all those requirements (closed, no leakage, good isolation, warm, slightly dark) and is well within your budget - I use it with a P3 at work and am very happy.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH840 fits all those requirements (closed, no leakage, good isolation, warm, slightly dark) and is well within your budget - I use it with a P3 at work and am very happy.

Ill look hardly into that, hows the bass on it? And does it benefit some from having an amp?

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES7. If you have family in the USA, ask them to buy it for you and send it over. They cost $55 @ buydig.com refurbished

I am actually upgrading here...

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 33
Bass on the Shures is very good - deep, punchy, impactful. Biggest difference I've noticed with an amp is that it opens up slightly and the bass is a little more controlled. The improvement with amplification isn't huge, but it's there.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass on the Shures is very good - deep, punchy, impactful. Biggest difference I've noticed with an amp is that it opens up slightly and the bass is a little more controlled. The improvement with amplification isn't huge, but it's there.

Seems great for me theres just 2 things. I would want something to prove and justify my purchase on my P3+, and since i have almost 350 bucks, and am upgrading, id want to get something a bit more in the higher end of portable phones. And im not saying that high end is just price and blah blah, but when i first am purchasing this, i wont there to be a great difference in SQ to my previous headphones.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 33
I've never heard the PXC450, so I can't compare the Shures to them, but I can't think of anything in that $350 range that will meet all your requirements as well as the Shures - they are well-tailored for your needs and most who have heard them agree that they punch far outside their price range.

You can spend up to $350 on closed Denons (not particularly dark, lots of leakage, no isolation, not portable), Ultrasones (based on what I read, not particularly dark despite somewhat overemphasized bass), or ATs (ESW9/10 aren't over the ear, other than that I don't know much about their sound but I don't think they're dark/bassy) but, as you can see, none of them will be as complete an accounting of your needs as the Shures.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Denon D2000/D5000, Ultrasone Pro 700/900/HFI780, and AT ESW9/10 are the only closed headphones that are more expensive than the Shures but still potentially in your price range - and I think there are good reasons to take Shures over all of them, despite them costing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back