Need a reccomendation for Closed Headphones
Nov 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

myztikal47

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy some closed headphones mainly for listening to music and pretty much the only music I listen to is trance. Currently I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-202's which I've had for 7years if not more, although they aren't bad headphones I can't use them for extended periods because the cups rest on my ear and after I'd say about 2hours or so my ears really start to hurt.

I was thinking about getting the HD 650's but I really want something closed to prevent too much noise from getting in or out. The only headphones I've really looked at are the AKG K272's but I'm not sure how they would do for the type of music I listen to. Budget wise I'd really like to keep it between $200-300 and not require an AMP, I'd like to plug them straight into the laptop, I'm not an audiophile so I'm sure upgrading from the 202's will sounds amazing to me even without an AMP. Thank in advance!

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Nov 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks guys, M50's look good, seems like a lot of people like them for their price. Also I'm thinking I could up my budget to like $300 since I figure if these cheap Senn 202's lasted me 7years, hopefully any new pair I buy will last me that long, if not longer so I don't really have an issue of investing a bit more money. BUT if there is nothing out there with too much of an improvement of soundquality/price ratio vs the M50s then I'll just stick to them. Like I mentioned, I'm no audiophile so a minor improvement in sound quality wouldn't really be worth $200 more for me. Thanks again for the help everyone!

P.S. I just realized my join date was in 2005 and this is my first thread/posts ever lol.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Thanks guys, M50's look good, seems like a lot of people like them for their price. Also I'm thinking I could up my budget to like $300 since I figure if these cheap Senn 202's lasted me 7years, hopefully any new pair I buy will last me that long, if not longer so I don't really have an issue of investing a bit more money. BUT if there is nothing out there with too much of an improvement of soundquality/price ratio vs the M50s then I'll just stick to them. Like I mentioned, I'm no audiophile so a minor improvement in sound quality wouldn't really be worth $200 more for me. Thanks again for the help everyone!

P.S. I just realized my join date was in 2005 and this is my first thread/posts ever lol.

In that case, I think you should be satisfied with the m50s..im not an expert on amps but someone else might suggest an afforfable one for you just to get a little more of a boost. Also if you listen through your laptop/computer it might have a bad soundcard so a DAC or soundcard would fix that problem. GL

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Thank you and thank you and everyone else for their help!!

BTW the headphones are pretty damn sweet. They are better in all categories compared to my HD202's, but I did some testing and the HD202's aren't that bad, they definitely lack the bass that the M50's have but in the treble department they are somewhat close to the M50's in terms of clarity. Either way, I love the M50's and now I think I'm gonna make myself go deaf because I can't help but turn the volume up high when using them at home, it seems they have almost no distortion no matter what the value is set to. Noise isolation is good, definitely better than the HD202's in terms of sound-leakage but I still wish they had less sound-leakage so that if I wanted to use them at school no one would be able to hear me.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Thank you and thank you and everyone else for their help!!

BTW the headphones are pretty damn sweet. They are better in all categories compared to my HD202's, but I did some testing and the HD202's aren't that bad, they definitely lack the bass that the M50's have but in the treble department they are somewhat close to the M50's in terms of clarity. Either way, I love the M50's and now I think I'm gonna make myself go deaf because I can't help but turn the volume up high when using them at home, it seems they have almost no distortion no matter what the value is set to. Noise isolation is good, definitely better than the HD202's in terms of sound-leakage but I still wish they had less sound-leakage so that if I wanted to use them at school no one would be able to hear me.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!

Glad you're enjoying them but do me careful..you want to be able to enjoy music for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back