NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #347 of 424
Reluctant sale in the classifieds but need to raise some cash.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742467/neco-soundlab-v4-portable-dual-mono-headphone-amplifer-superb-condition

May 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #349 of 424
Hi, does anyone use the V4 with the HD600/HD650 regularly and can tell me roughly how many hours this amp lasts with those headphones? It would be helpful if you could also let me know whether you operate the V4 on low or high gain for those headphones, and with which opamps. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #350 of 424
Im thinking of selling the V2 if anyone is interested - its the Audiophile upgrade version:

AD8610 upgrade

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #351 of 424
Been waiting a while and was considering a Bossfet 3 but I really need a new portable more.    The V3 clobbers the stock amp in the Ifi IDSD micro I am running.  I know that a V4 will do even better...so having Neco build me one with Long life Lipos and B version 4627's since they are supposeded to be better than the standard A's.  Can't wait.   The V3 will be my Son's Xmas present to go with
the modded Fostex T50RP I gave him last year.   Merry Xmas... and to all

A GOOOOOOODDDDD  Listening!

jgwtriode

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #352 of 424
My V4 has been shipped with 4627 B's.  May try to see if I can squeeze some Burson Opamps into them.  I will make my own wire harnesses
since the Burson versions are way over priced.

Have been tuning the suspension under my IDSD Micro.  Oh my gosh got it working.  Wow is this  Dac ridiculous.  It is quite sensitive to tuning.   Two Bubinga boards sandwich rubber tunning discs and a hard damping squaring with some squishy foam.    So no name brass cones and then a single ceramic cone in back under the IDSD V3 stack.   And massive brass cones from my old speakers weighting the whole thing down.    Unbelievable improvement in the sound.  Like a whole new setup.  The Slants are even better than I thought...man are
the dynamic fast and huge in their ability to throw sound all around you.

With the V4 oh my word....can't wait.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #354 of 424
V 4 with 60 hours of burn...idsd micro dac running battery and 5vcc on my ultrafi usb cable taped over.  Oh gosh.  The Slants are so real it is uncanny.  Power drive subetly.   This is ridculous heaven for far less than you might imagine.  More enjoyable than systems i have thrown far more bucks into.  The Neco is effortlessy powerful and solid from silent black backgrounds and realistic sense of space and staging. I will post a photo of my weirdly kludged system one of these days.   Nice cables I am running Daves Cables, now Zenwave, custom D3 cables between the idsd micro and the V4.   

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #355 of 424

This is my current temporary setup...a bit kludged as it is not permanent.  Watefall Bubinga end caps for my unbuilt gainclones temporarily
used as isolation blocks between brass and ceramic cones and rubber and bluetack damping layer.  Works quite well sits on my desktop
computer.  I7 Sager laptop with Jplay in hibernate using flash drive sd card combo.

Happy listening,

James

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #356 of 424
I've had my v4 for a couple of months now and enjoyed it with different headphones at home, also as a preamp for a tube amp.
Second hand so I didn't have a choice of op amp's it came with ADA4627 which is standard, so I was looking for a pair of OPA627ap
and found a vast difference between prices. I found some but in the listing the seller pointed to "Ultra Analog THE-1 single OP AMP"
so for a little more I gave them a shot and I am so glad I did.  Since I never ended up with the OPA627AP's I can't compare but words don't do the happyness justice the Ultra Analog's are a solid choice.  

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #357 of 424
Neco has upgraded the virtual ground on the V4 which increases the current to the opamps.  Supposed to particullarly improve lower impedance headphones.  Better Bass and dynamics I would assume.   Should make my new Paradox Slants sound even better.  Still breaking them in.  But the V4 is back to Neco for the upgrade.  Should be back in a couple weeks and I will post my impressions.  Meanwhile I have to listen with the amp section of the IDSD micro.  Fairly good but much better as just a DAC into the V4!   Running an uptone Regen and two Audioquest jitterbugs prior to the micro.

Happy Listening

jgwtriode

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #358 of 424
The latest version of Neco's V4 is quite improved...more low frequency weight and punch.  Darker background and a lower noise floor as well.  Everything has a bit more sense of ease.  A bit more detail...but I had Neco install soundcraft silver plated berylium copper 3.5mm input.  I believe standard is a brass or base copper alloy and then nickel plate.   That may have something to do with it as well.  Anyway it is noticeably better and the new virtual ground IC's definetly are worth spending a few more dollars and sending it back for an upgrade.

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

May 19, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #359 of 424
  The latest version of Neco's V4 is quite improved...more low frequency weight and punch.  Darker background and a lower noise floor as well.  Everything has a bit more sense of ease.  A bit more detail...but I had Neco install soundcraft silver plated berylium copper 3.5mm input.  I believe standard is a brass or base copper alloy and then nickel plate.   That may have something to do with it as well.  Anyway it is noticeably better and the new virtual ground IC's definetly are worth spending a few more dollars and sending it back for an upgrade.

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Still loving my Portable v4.1(?) with 4627 opamps, here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back