NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Mar 29, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #331 of 424
For that kind of money, the best DAP on the market (from an audiophile standpoint) is the Fiio X5, which is due out in just a few short weeks. The trick will be to find a dealer who's not price-gouging when it's released, but the SRP is $350 (note, that's dollars).

Also consider the aforementioned Fiio X3 (but X5 is substantially better), and also consider iBasso's DX50, which, with it's more expensive brother, the DX90, about to be released, will be sure to fall in price, and thus will be an absolute steal.

There are a couple of excellent X5 and DX50 threads here on Head-fi, should anyone require more information.

There will be dissenters, but, broadly-speaking, I would say Fiio X5 > iBasso DX50 > Fiio X3

Plenty more options if the budget can be stretched, but these are still damn-fine sounding players.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #333 of 424
Thanks both to JGW and Flysweep as usual! I am keen on the JDS ODAC...then there's the storage issue and here comes along the Fiio X-5 not quite out yet and not fully reviewed by HF community. But it has STORAGE in multiples of 128g cards and can out directly to my V4 which should be like jam on toast friendly!!!  Course the X-5 is much dearer than the ODAC but it has storage! Me no got Android or Applephone. Sure seems like a nice set up.  thanks for your aid gentlemen.  alejandro

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #335 of 424
Not me gdourado, I only have the V4 and Little Dot 1+ (not portable). Both of THOSE sound vastly different because of the warmth tubes of the LD1+ give and also the slight edge on speed/accuracy of the V4's SQ. These are very small differences. The V4 cost more than 2X the LD1+ but of course is portable. Good hunting. I'm scheming for the Fiio X-5 as a DAP for lossless and portability.  cheers, alejandro

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #337 of 424
Not me SkyBleu...I got the OPA627 and may be the only kiwi with one (V4 that is). I can only tell you this little amp really brings out the detail and leading edges on the jazz instruments I love (bass, piano, trumpet). I don't roll opamps. Not yet.  A

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #338 of 424
Not me SkyBleu...I got the OPA627 and may be the only kiwi with one (V4 that is). I can only tell you this little amp really brings out the detail and leading edges on the jazz instruments I love (bass, piano, trumpet). I don't roll opamps. Not yet.  A

That's alright, and thanks for your input. :)

I heard the OPA627 tends to thicken up the sound for a more richer experience, but I'm not sure if this means a warmer sound. Do you find yours to sound warm in any way?

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #339 of 424
Negative SkyBleu....if thickening the SQ means wooly, fatty, or dense I would say no. The V4s definition of the instruments and, in live jazz the obnoxiousness of chatty background audience, the clarity of their talking; the instrumental variations of wood or brass or reeds and the wordplay of vocalist is just fine by my ears. I know I'm getting older (70 in June) but with better recording gear now and playback equipment to highlight older jazz music, I can make the sounds out more clearly. Maybe I'm just LISTENING better but I think the gear plays more of a factor than when I first heard great jazz (miles davis 7 Steps to Heaven, bill evans [live at Village Vanguard 24 bit cd] this in the 60's and 70's on vinyl). As for my ranting above on the audience, to paraphrase Paul Motian, Bill Evan's drummer on the July '61 VV performance, he says the audience becomes a part of the musical experience as it was for him. Get that cd,hear it either through your main speakers or on yer 650s or whatever you like, and you will be transported. My fav tracks are My Man's Gone Now and Alice in Wonderland (take 2). Quantum head rolling. Beyond bliss. Oh the question of thickening I cannot object to warmth (as in tube sounds) as long as it doesn't step over to muddy. Cheers, alejandro

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #340 of 424
  Negative SkyBleu....if thickening the SQ means wooly, fatty, or dense I would say no. The V4s definition of the instruments and, in live jazz the obnoxiousness of chatty background audience, the clarity of their talking; the instrumental variations of wood or brass or reeds and the wordplay of vocalist is just fine by my ears. I know I'm getting older (70 in June) but with better recording gear now and playback equipment to highlight older jazz music, I can make the sounds out more clearly. Maybe I'm just LISTENING better but I think the gear plays more of a factor than when I first heard great jazz (miles davis 7 Steps to Heaven, bill evans [live at Village Vanguard 24 bit cd] this in the 60's and 70's on vinyl). As for my ranting above on the audience, to paraphrase Paul Motian, Bill Evan's drummer on the July '61 VV performance, he says the audience becomes a part of the musical experience as it was for him. Get that cd,hear it either through your main speakers or on yer 650s or whatever you like, and you will be transported. My fav tracks are My Man's Gone Now and Alice in Wonderland (take 2). Quantum head rolling. Beyond bliss. Oh the question of thickening I cannot object to warmth (as in tube sounds) as long as it doesn't step over to muddy. Cheers, alejandro

Hmm, I wouldn't consider thick SQ to be associated with wooly, fatty, or dense audio. I'd say thick refers to the richness of the mids, how it sounds full and strongly pronounced - more realistic instead of thin. So to me, thick mids is a good thing. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

But that aside, I appreciate your description of what the OPA627 V4 can do:) I'll look into those songs soon enough, and it's good to hear that it doesn't have that warm, tube sound. As you mentioned, it's all good as long as it doesn't step over to the muddy side of things.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #341 of 424
And you're right again SkyBleu...the thickening you refer to I can think of as a depth or fullness in the midrange indeed. Yep the V4 fits that quality well. And that's where that full snap exceeds the quality of my LD1+ which is a very close second in SQ. Remember, if you get a copy of Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard on cd make sure it's the newer 24 bit version. This version is much more well defined than the original 16 bit one. Can't say that AT ALL for the work of engineer Rudy Van Gelder's (RVS) newer 24 bit transfers on his Blue Note catalogue. In nearly all cases on those, Ron McMaster's older 16 bit versions trump them. For BEST cd IMHO go for anything done by JVC in the Japanese versions of Blue Note, Fantasy, Riverside, even Warner, etc... They just have the magic be it 16 bit, 24, or those spendy JVC 20 or 24 bit XRCDs which are, as the fat lady says, to DIE for!   So much detail. Sorry, alejandro

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #342 of 424
Portable V4 owners! I need your help:) 

Do any of you happen to have compared the V4 to the Tralucent T1 in the past before? Or own both? I won't ask for a battle of the two, but just plainly, which you you find is superior. Cheers!

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #344 of 424
Dearest Shakur I have not heard the earlier models...I have the V4 (not the newer V4.1 which has a different opamp from mine which has the OPA627). I am quite happy with this amps ability to take what I put in my computer drive and hear in my HD650s. I know I could get a different sound with a dif opamp...but really I focus on getting more jazz in my collection. My 70 yr old ears are quite satisfied with this hardware. I THINK my Lil Dot 1+ has a warmer richer sound through my Meridian CD player (508.24) but then that setup is not near my computer screen but in primary stereo room where Dynaudio speakers live. I'm sooo spoiled. Sorry I can't be of help with your query. Best to you mate,    alejandro

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #345 of 424
thanks, alejandro. average_joe highly rated V2, so I'm wondering whether V3 and/or V4 could be even better. I'm looking a very good companion to my modded iPod (and probably in the near future for dx90) and the combo will driver my CIEMs. again, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back