NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Mar 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #317 of 424
Sure - that could also be a great DAP - but I haven't had a chance to listen to it here in Germoney so I can't recommend it.  

But of course it is fair to do so s I recommended the AK100 which also blows his $200 limit. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #318 of 424
Hi AfterSack,
Thanks for the input...nope I have not bought the NANO yet. So I'm going to investigate the two units you describe above...with an eye to storage. 32GB seems plenty to store lossless. I will prob get an outboard 1T WD Passport or the like to download my favorites...then a couple of 32 or 64 cards makes good sense for travel. Sad that most DAPs have an amp attached. What a gem this V4 is to me. It completely fills my head with good music on 650s or older 420s. And yes I am horny to try the HiFiman 500 or the Audeze LCD-2...but really it's the music for me. Watch this space. If I win lotto I'd be inclined to get HD800s....never thought I'd move off of 650s until I heard THOSE. Next trip to Singapore and I'll hear them all again incl your models.  So thanks for the tips again.  Alejandro

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #321 of 424
(apologies to Neco users - I am not intending to derail the thread; just trying to assist a Neco-user, in the broader sense than just the amp itself)

Alejandro, as I'm sure you've noticed, there has been a trend with the Chinese DAPs, recently, to dispense with on-board memory entirely (except for a tiny quantity to operate the firmware), in favour of storing all music files on memory cards only.

This would apply to the latest Fiio and iBasso DAPs.

I'm not sure I entirely favour that approach, but, happily, in the past couple of weeks, Sandisk have finally got their act together and released the long-awaited 128gb capacity microSD card.

Therefore, whatever DAP you choose, as long as it has at least one (and preferably 2, if possible - e.g. Fiio X5) microSD card expansion slot, you will be OK for Hi-Res music playback without excessive compromise in number of albums.

64gb is usable, but 128gb is properly usable for hi-res.

Happy days are here, at last!
beerchug.gif

BTW, back to the Neco... I'm seriously interested in hearing a V4 at some point in the near future - it appears to be a great value amp.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #322 of 424
Thank you again Mython!  I am searching out a portable or semi-portable DAP such as you describe with the 2 slot idea and min in the capacities you describe. Glad to hear of Sandisk's development of the 128gb card. My idea is to put on 10 or less "albums" and then rotate them off from a dedicated file source such as the WD Passport since the price is getting lower. Have to look at the FiioX5 and others. Back to the NECO for this thread's sake, I can assure you that the V4 has it all great SQ, heaps of overhead, easy to charge, and you would be very happy with it as a portable. Most of it's duty is just here aside my Asus sound card...which is just a plain vanilla on the motherboard. Soon I think I'll get a dedicated separate sound card and Asus makes several as does the other brands. 24/96 is plenty good for my ears...but who knows there may be better. Also, on the V4, Neco gives great customer service. You would be chuffed to have it.  cheers,  alejandro

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #323 of 424
One last thing readers who can suggest a DAP for me: I have the Neco V4 headphone amplifier. Excellent! I use it after my computer card. So I want a DAP with no built in amplifier so I can go portable. There must be one under $200 of good quality which has storage possibilities such as Mython describes above. In looking at the new FiioX5...it too has a Built in Amp....anyone suggest a good quality Player sans amp? With the Neco me needs not an amp just DAP. Thank you. Alejandro

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #324 of 424
Flysweep suggested a while back Neco's amps sound better in high gain.   Too right...mate...I just found that out!!!!!!
Just yanked the jumpers on my v3 to see how it worked with my new Paradox Slants. Verdict this is a better amp with out the jumpers, which means the gain jumps from 2.3 to 6 and you can't turn the know as far to the right.   But the sound opens up, gets clearer, their is subtley less grain and better dynamics, it is not night and day.  However it is immediately apparent with the Slants, their resolution is amazing.  You can hear everything.  Know the v4 is better but the v3 with 8610's is still amazing and scales up  like crazy on my Jplay computer set up with Ultra Fi  Dac 41.  Will do gainclone headphone amps when I can get a few more dollars to work on cases, but hot damn.  The difference between running my QLS QA 350 and computer setup is ridiculously better and the V3 lets that all come through.  Thinking about throwing some 4627's in to replace 8610's.  But need to finish my jplay audiostreamer setup so maybe not. The high gain might not be the best with sensitive iems but is worth trying.  I can now hear a hint of fuzz when i have no input and rotate the volume all the way up, but that isnt really noticeable at all until 3/4 + on the knob.   But honestly its a better amp in high gain mode.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #325 of 424
Anybody got a suggestion for a portable DAP which does NOT have a built in amplifier....or is that just not going to happen, meaning that they always build in an amp of some kind? Well maybe those can be bypassed but it seems a waste!  I am still VERY happy with my V4. Cheers,
Rather Newbie Alejandro

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #326 of 424
 Switched my basic nickelplated brass 3.5mm into my V3 with a valabs tellerium copper rhodium plated one.  Busted one and was unable to replace jack on my slants, but I jury rigged the other two accept  my interconnect pair working as a lod from my dac. Guess what you can hear the difference almost immediately.   The v3 is so good you can even hear connector differences.  Damn amazing.  Envy those of you with V4's

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #328 of 424
Envy indeed...the damn thing LIGHTS up my 650s...! Any tips on a good portable DAC/DAP ?  Not prepared to spend over $175-200. thanks, Alejandro

WHY NOT A JDS LABS ODAC. Fits the budget. ..Flysweep has praised it highly and I trust his ears!

I plan on one for my Samsung note 3 as replacement for my QLS portable after I finish my desktop system!

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #329 of 424
Thanks James.. I think alejandro is looking for DAP and DAC functionality in one unit.. how's about the Fiio X3? I've read a lot of good things about it.. but admittedly don't know much about it since I'm out of loop on the latest and greatest DAPs of the day. I think iBasso is supposed to have a nifty DAP, too... no?

As a standalone DAC, the ODAC is very nice.. especially for the money.. and the fact it can be used with Apple tablets/phones (running iOS7) as well as many Android based devices (i.e. Galaxy s3/s4, Galaxy Note).

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #330 of 424
Thanks James.. I think alejandro is looking for DAP and DAC functionality in one unit.. how's about the Fiio X3? I've read a lot of good things about it.. but admittedly don't know much about it since I'm out of loop on the latest and greatest DAPs of the day. I think iBasso is supposed to have a nifty DAP, too... no?

As a standalone DAC, the ODAC is very nice.. especially for the money.. and the fact it can be used with Apple tablets/phones (running iOS7) as well as many Android based devices (i.e. Galaxy s3/s4, Galaxy Note).

OOppss!   Indeed...your right...you usually are!  LOL!   Slants are devastatingly good in case you haven't gotten to my PM's... found out Luis hardwired them with his 8 wire 7N braid when I was swapping 3.5mm plugs.  Damn Luis is great!

Well Alejandro if you have an Android you could check to see if it will output usb digital and then an ODAC!  Pardon the late night brain cramp.  Brain is starved for blood after a good leg workout.
Waiting for some music downloads so hit headfi for a minute and well obviously old age and late night dont always agree....hehehe...hahaha!

Hope your well Fly!

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back