NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Nov 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #286 of 424
Indeed Flysweeper!  I am keen to stay small for portability. The Stoner UD110 is indeed SMALL. I think I'll take your advice and get a 16gig Nano. I would prefer to have a smaller unit with selections from a lossless-ish source which I can rotate in and out as the mood dictates. I'm keen on the 16gig as it is the size of a Graham cracker it seems. The only weird aspect is that I'll have to get one of those lightning connectors that goes from the tiny nano out to the (3/8 in. or USB) DAC ...looks like a project that is not too daunting. thanks,
alejandro

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #287 of 424
Hey guys,

Was just wondering what the output impedance of the V4 was? And with the battery issue...Did you guys notice a change between each channel, or something?

And lastly...what's the battery life?

(I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before)

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #288 of 424
Sorry Sky I haven't researched the V4's specs recently...maybe FlySweep will answer the output impedance question you have. There really is no battery issue. Because the unit is a dual mono, at the end of a long listening session or two lasting probably 10 hours total, one of the channels poops out. This is, for me, usually the right channel. No worries say I and Neco and others. It's just another way to tell that it's time to recharge this fine lil amp. Most of the time I run my HD420s (1981!) at my computer through my Aesus sound card into the V4, playing whatever cd I want to hear. Occasionally I'll substitute my HD650s. Tho that's a bit of a bother because I have a 10' Cardas Cable. I save my 650s most of the time for main music salon, using them with Lil Dot 1+ (rolling Russian, Mullard, and USA military tubes) and Meridian 208.24 cd player. I am old and creaky so, as yet, I haven't taken the time and expense to go the FLAC, WAV, lossless dance with some form of dac/player. But I can tell you that the V4 just lights up both these Sennies. Old as it is the 420 is a great hp for my acoustic jazz preferences. Yes I am teetering at the edge of HeadFi madness wondering what life would be like with a pair of Orthos...i.e. HiFi Man HP500. But I think I deserve it to get a Nano and learn how to use it lossless with my V4....get a Slappa case and a Zu Mobius or Canare something of 5' length so I can trot around with a shorter cable in me backpack. You can see I'm getting the symptoms of audiophillias headphonus maximus tho' to some it may seem to be a mild case. Shorter answers: batteries no issue, charged it will go 10-14 hours I reckon. (Did you know that the 420s are rated at 600 ohms and the 650s at 300 ohms? That help?)  Cheers,  Alejandro

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #289 of 424
@alejandro7 I have PM'ed FlySweep about this, and although he has yet to reply, I have already dug up some information on the amp:)

Thank the lord that there isn't anything wrong with the channels nor the batteries! I was a bit worried about that when I pulled the trigger on it. 

From what you say, it sounds like a great amp, that can power high impedance cans:) 

One more thing, what amp would you say the V4 is comparable to?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #290 of 424
Yes the V4 seems quite powerful. I have yet to run it past 11 on the gain knob and usually 10 is more than these ears need. Sorry I can't really compare it to others. When I read feedback here and reviews on Ray Samuel's site about his RSA 71a or b it seems comparable. But no actual experience with his amps. The price for RSA's amps is quite up there compared to the V4.  I have only a local NZ cmoy altoid and the wonderful Little Dot 1+ (not portable, of course). The latter is a tube hybrid as you may know and the sound is warm and tubey but fast enough for my tastes on 650s. I once heard the HD800s on Lehman Linear Black Cube but that's a mere golden memory of a sound stage from Jupiter. It was so vast. Reckon I need to hear a lot more before I can leave the ranks of the Gaa Gaa Newbies.  Good hunting.  cheers,  alejandro

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #293 of 424
Infinity650...I have a manual but having printer/scanner issues. Contact Neco via his site and he's such a nice guy I'm sure he'd send you the info on jumper positions, etc.   Cheers, alejandro

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #295 of 424
Is there a manual especially for the jumper Positions and its effects? I am a new owner of a Used v4 and have no manual. Sorry for Bad Writing, Using a mobile.

This is the manual.
Sorry bad picture.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #298 of 424
Sure SkyBleu, RE: sound of V4. I can only compare to the tubed Little Dot 1+ with best HP on hand (Senn HD650s). The sound is less warm than the tubed sound...but from there everything is betta regarding speed and bass. Latter is tighter and has more impact. Seems to flesh out just a bit more detail than LD1+. The decay of notes is about the same with V4 and tubes of LD. The convenience of portability brings the V4 way over to mo' betta status. I think it's a dead heat for my jazz tastes.  cheers,  alex

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #299 of 424
Sure SkyBleu, RE: sound of V4. I can only compare to the tubed Little Dot 1+ with best HP on hand (Senn HD650s). The sound is less warm than the tubed sound...but from there everything is betta regarding speed and bass. Latter is tighter and has more impact. Seems to flesh out just a bit more detail than LD1+. The decay of notes is about the same with V4 and tubes of LD. The convenience of portability brings the V4 way over to mo' betta status. I think it's a dead heat for my jazz tastes.  cheers,  alex

Thanks for that:) still sounds like a promising amp!

Anymore impressions from anyone is always appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back