NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Sep 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #241 of 424

I don't mean to be a downer but has anyone read about the batteries that Neco is using on these... From Amazon reviews, the ultrafire 3.7 V seem to be kind of unstable. Of course, I'm a worry wart. It seems like having the dual mono set up would lead to channel imbalance if one of the batteries started losing juice quicker than the other. 

I still wish there were an external gain switch. 

Very relevant questions, Isaiah.. if you don't follow up with Neco on them, I will.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #242 of 424
Hello Flysweep and other HeadFiers: It may be too early but can anyone comment on the V4 with the other op amps: AD8610 or the OPA627. I would take the trail you lead here Fly and get the ADA4627s installed on my purchase. Any feedback on the other two and do you know what the additional cost factor is for the ADA4626 op amp you had Neco install? Pardon my drool but those 800s sure look nice. I have 650s and older 420s. Thanks.  alejandro

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #243 of 424
Still loving my v2 Neco :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #244 of 424
Yeah, I have to say...I was listening to mine last night (don't know whether it is v2 or v3...I think v3) and I was super-impressed by it. I think I'll have to get the v4 eventually...

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #246 of 424

I've plagued Neco enough! If you go to his facebook page, you see my profile all over it :) Maybe you should... 

Never mind. I plagued Neco. Here is his helpful (as always) response: 

"18650 batteries are very standard. Many manufacturers do make them. Best one being Sanyo. In this amp you do not need very expensive type as headphone amps do not require high currents. The batteries I use are very easily available from ebay around £6. You can choose to replace them to higher quality ones but in my opinion its not necessary. I can not fault these batteries myself. They hold good charge and with headphone amps they work great.

In my tests both batteries discharge at the same time and even if they don't this will not effect the volume level. Volume level is same regardless of the voltage differences. higher voltage level is required for lesser distortion but levels are always same."
In other news: Has anyone tried Neco's amps with MrSpeakers Mad Dog?

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #247 of 424

In other news: Has anyone tried Neco's amps with MrSpeakers Mad Dog?

My Paradox should be back this week.. since both it (and the Mad Dog), are based off the T50RP, both should have similar amping requirements.  I'll report back once it arrived.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #249 of 424
Thanks to imackler's suggestion some months back I got myself a V3, which I've used with a few different headphones. Very happy with it. But what I really came here to say is what others have already said: Neco is a pleasure to deal with and provides superb customer service. This thread deserves a bump for that reason alone :)

Also: I should receive a pair of Mad Dogs(3.2) next week, can't wait!

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #250 of 424
Hi Neco fans. I bought the V4 a few weeks back. Still breaking it in. So far it sounds wonderful....very powerful too. Chose the AD627 op amps and he installed Samsung batteries rather than Sanyo which he seemed to prefer. The batteries are taking 10-12 hours to fully charge which I guess is normal. More news on the sound. My HD420s (600ohm) have never sounded better. HD650s have yet to try this out. More news later.  alejandro

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #251 of 424

Hi Neco fans. I bought the V4 a few weeks back. Still breaking it in. So far it sounds wonderful....very powerful too. Chose the AD627 op amps and he installed Samsung batteries rather than Sanyo which he seemed to prefer. The batteries are taking 10-12 hours to fully charge which I guess is normal. More news on the sound. My HD420s (600ohm) have never sounded better. HD650s have yet to try this out. More news later.  alejandro

Great to hear.. I've logged well over 200 hours on my V4.. IME, it smoothed out noticeably after a few full charge cycles of use.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #252 of 424
Good to know that Fly....yep it seems to be quite a nice unit. There are sounds from my MJQ "Pyramid" cd originally recorded in mono that I have not heard on my full speaker system which I am now starting to hear with this amp and my older Senn HD420s. Next week trying the 650s with the V4. By then the amp will be close to 50 hrs. Wonder how your HE500s sound. Different world as I am reading about them.    alejandro

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #253 of 424

Good to know that Fly....yep it seems to be quite a nice unit. There are sounds from my MJQ "Pyramid" cd originally recorded in mono that I have not heard on my full speaker system which I am now starting to hear with this amp and my older Senn HD420s. Next week trying the 650s with the V4. By then the amp will be close to 50 hrs. Wonder how your HE500s sound. Different world as I am reading about them.    alejandro

Very cool.. it's always rewarding when something in your chain allows you to rediscover your music collection.

This is my second time owning the HE-500, actually.  The first time, I had the HE-500 about a year ago.. and many said the HE-500 is the logical upgrade to the HD600.  I couldn't entirely agree with that sentiment.  The (first) HE-500 actually sounded inferior to the HD600.. I found the HE-500's midbass too forward, midrange too "grado-ish," and the treble too rolled off.  So I sold it and re-acquired the HD600.  I decided to give the HE-500 another shot about a month ago.. and I'm much more satisfied with the HE-500 this time around.  Maybe it was a QC issue or who knows what.. but this pair sounds significantly more balanced.. and matches with the measurements I've seen.  After having spent time with both the HD600 & HE-500 daily, I can definitely say the HE-500 is the ideal 'upgrade' to the HD600.

The HE-500 sounds terrific with the V4, btw.  Understandably, it can't deliver the gobs of current that an ortho-friendly amp is capable of.. but what it does deliver is clean and more than adequate.  Most importantly, the bass extends deep.. remains linear, well controlled, and lacks distortion.  I checked with Neco and he mentioned the V4 delivers 150-250 mW @ 50-75 ohms.  Come to think of it, I've been running my V4 in low gain this whole time.  I had Neco lower the gain on my V4 (to 1.5x/4.5x) since I planned to use it with some very sensitive customs (and a DAC that outputs ~2 Vrms).. so even at 1.5x gain, I've never needed to alter the gain.. even for the HE-500 (I rarely go past a third on the pot).  I'll pop it into high gain tomorrow and see how it sounds.  Also, everything else it offers (namely, the terrific stereo separation) is excellent

The HD600 pairs wonderfully w/ the V4.. so I'm confident the 650 will, as well.  Hope it works out for you.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #254 of 424
BTW Senor Fly: Is it normal after a day's use that as the amp "empties" it's charge, on listening, I notice the right channel goes out. Then I put the charge on it and the red light appears indicating it needs charging. Is this just a newbie duh on my part? Over the past week I've noticed that the second and then the third charges took less time. Initially the full charge seemed to take 12 or more hours b4 the red light went out indicating fully charged. The second and now third times to charge took noticeably less time, closer to overnight. Seems like a silly question. And even in these maybe three or four listening sessions, under 3 hours each, I noticed that the music is getting fuller and cleaner. Amazing or just a newbie with a new toy?  thanks for your input,  alejandro    PS As a Sennheiser devotee am I perverting myself by entertaining thoughts of getting a  Grado 225i for walkabouts? I LIKE that the upper grados have 1/4" outs for hps. Fits with the V4 quite well!

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #255 of 424
  BTW Senor Fly: Is it normal after a day's use that as the amp "empties" it's charge, on listening, I notice the right channel goes out. Then I put the charge on it and the red light appears indicating it needs charging. Is this just a newbie duh on my part? Over the past week I've noticed that the second and then the third charges took less time. Initially the full charge seemed to take 12 or more hours b4 the red light went out indicating fully charged. The second and now third times to charge took noticeably less time, closer to overnight. Seems like a silly question. And even in these maybe three or four listening sessions, under 3 hours each, I noticed that the music is getting fuller and cleaner. Amazing or just a newbie with a new toy?  thanks for your input,  alejandro    PS As a Sennheiser devotee am I perverting myself by entertaining thoughts of getting a  Grado 225i for walkabouts? I LIKE that the upper grados have 1/4" outs for hps. Fits with the V4 quite well!

What version do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back