Neck too weak to hold up full sized headphones
Feb 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
This is kinda embarassing to admit (especially since I work out) - but my neck gets really achey after as little as 2 minutes with something the weight of a Grado SR60 on it. I've tried all sorts of neck positions from forward to back to sideways (that messes with the soundstage somewhat). The pain is coming from the back of the neck (neck extensors) - I don't have bad posture in general.

I'm ok with IEMs.

When running my neck also gets sore with Koss PortaPro's.

It's annoying because I need to take about a 2 minute break after every 2 minutes of listening just to stretch my neck out. I don't even have a pencil neck!!

Are there any strengthening exercises I should do? Have any of you guys experienced this?

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 26
That's pretty unusual.  Do you have trouble wearing hats or anything like that too?  In my experience the SR60's aren't very heavy.  Try and look up some strengthening exercises on google maybe?

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 26
yeah it's strange. For neck workout i only know about shrugs and deadlift for the trapezis. However it seems unlikely that your muscles or even a structural problem of your neck is in cause, considering how light something like the portapro is...

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 26
If you have to do neck exercises to be able to listen to headphones...well...I'm really not sure what to say.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 26
Have you tried AKG?  I think those are pretty light on the head.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
Have you tried AKG?  I think those are pretty light on the head.

It's not like the SR60 is a heavy headphone...in fact I really can't imagine one lighter.

OP...Do you really think your neck is that weak or it is possible that the headphones are in someway putting pressure against a nerve or muscle that is causing the pain? I know that I cannot wear certain glasses/sunglasses because there is a spot behind my ears that if the arms hit the spot after a short time I start getting a headache.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 26
I agree. I think you should see a doctor. How can your neck support your head correctly if it cant carry 2 lb. headphones? Your head is about 10 lbs. I cant imagine any headphone being over 2.5 lbs. There is something wrong there. It is not an emergency, but left untreated, this could cause problems over time, i believe.

Keep us updated,

Duheee

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 26
haha I don't think I need to see a doctor just yet... I'm not dying. I CAN fight through the discomfort and wear the PortaPro's when running but that's cuz when running I know I'm gonna be uncomfortable anyway. But when sitting down and listening to music I can't deal with the discomfort, but would like a better sound quality than IEM's can give... Plus sitting down seems to make the neck pain worse as compared to standing. I've checked my posture and everything but my back is straight and can't find anything wrong with it. I'm not an old due either, I'm 20.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 26
Just keep wearing the headphones, gradually longer each time if possible. This should gradually strengthen your neck or w/e the problem is, and eventually they may be comfortable to wear for long periods. I hate going to the doctor as much as the next guy, but I would rather go to the doctor and get my problem sorted out than struggle to enjoy my headphones 
gs1000.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 26
I think your problem is not one of strenght, but you are tensed up because you are worried the headphones will come off.  Just relax, and sit normal.  The headband should do it's job and hold the headphone in place.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back