NBA Playoffs!
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #796 of 827
LeBron provides the officials with a unique set of challenges
wink_face.gif

OKC brought out the best in the Miami heat, and the best team won.

Better luck next year Thunder!
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #801 of 827
What, a two-time all star feeding two of the best seven-footers in the game plus a legendary shooting guard and the ultimate enforcer won't be fair?

I sure hope not, because it's still gonna be hard to knock out the Thunder!
We'll se what he has left in the tank, that's for sure
popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #802 of 827
Quote:
What, a two-time all star feeding two of the best seven-footers in the game plus a legendary shooting guard and the ultimate enforcer won't be fair?

I sure hope not, because it's still gonna be hard to knock out the Thunder!
We'll se what he has left in the tank, that's for sure
popcorn.gif

Do you really think Bynum is a top-notch center? Gasol I'd agree, but Bynum is a bit shoddy IMO. Limited outside game, inconsistent performance, injury problems. He's just a big body at the end of the day, and there are plenty of big bodies in the NBA to counter him.

On paper, the Lakers look pretty great. But so does every other team in the league. The real question is how they play together. Everyone's got talent but a team needs to be greater than the sum of it's parts if they want to go far.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #803 of 827
Quote:

Do you really think Bynum is a top-notch center? Gasol I'd agree, but Bynum is a bit shoddy IMO. Limited outside game, inconsistent performance, injury problems. He's just a big body at the end of the day, and there are plenty of big bodies in the NBA to counter him.

On paper, the Lakers look pretty great. But so does every other team in the league. The real question is how they play together. Everyone's got talent but a team needs to be greater than the sum of it's parts if they want to go far.

He is immature and a bit inconsistent, but I do think he's tied with Howard ATM as the best center in the league but Chandler is right up there too. If Bynum and Howard switched teams, their stats would pretty much switch as well IMO. At this point I think Bynum has a bigger upside than Howard looking forward.

Did you notice Bynum's 30-rebound game, or another one with a triple-double without assists (13 blocked shots)? He also had his first 20-20 game this year and was third in the league in both field goal percentage and rebounding. He even tied for 10th with Westbrook in player efficiency, the guy is a beast plain and simple. But his biggest stat was that he missed only one game all season. He's getting the German knee procedure that Kobe had instead of going to London, and I think he will lead the Lakers back to the promised land next year.

There was actually a good article today comparing the two:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1255013-dwight-howard-or-andrew-bynum-which-all-star-center-has-bigger-maturity-issues

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #805 of 827
I don't think anybody will get Dwight this year, because there's no guarantees he'll be around a year later.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #806 of 827
Quote:

He is immature and a bit inconsistent, but I do think he's tied with Howard ATM as the best center in the league but Chandler is right up there too. If Bynum and Howard switched teams, their stats would pretty much switch as well IMO. At this point I think Bynum has a bigger upside than Howard looking forward.

Did you notice Bynum's 30-rebound game, or another one with a triple-double without assists (13 blocked shots)? He also had his first 20-20 game this year and was third in the league in both field goal percentage and rebounding. He even tied for 10th with Westbrook in player efficiency, the guy is a beast plain and simple. But his biggest stat was that he missed only one game all season. He's getting the German knee procedure that Kobe had instead of going to London, and I think he will lead the Lakers back to the promised land next year.

There was actually a good article today comparing the two:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1255013-dwight-howard-or-andrew-bynum-which-all-star-center-has-bigger-maturity-issues

You make a good point. But I think if you dropped Howard into the Lakers, he would perform much better than Bynum. Everyone has big games and good years obviously; no one gets into the NBA with out a healthy dose of individual talent. Problem is, they both have immaturity "superstar" issues. In fact now that I think of it, neither are particularly good offensive post players, but that's not always a necessary (or desirable) trait for a center. The real difference I think is that Howard is an incredible athlete where Bynum is just "long". I'd also say that Howard's defensive presence (shot-blocking and footwork) supercede Bynum's.

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #807 of 827
The reason I don't think Howard would do better in LA is the fact that Howard is the lone superstar on his team. He would just be another superstar on the Lakers and wouldn't be the focal point of the team that he is with the Magic.

I don't think that Bynum is just long. Howard may be a better pure athlete, but Bynum has better post moves thanks to Kareem's tutoring. Even though he's never pulled in 30 boards or blocked 13 shots in a game, Howard is definitely no slouch as he led the league in both statistics twice.

Their one on one matchups have also been pretty inconclusive. From another great article comparing them:

...due to their individual body makeup, they are complete opposite players. Dwight Howard is an athletic big man in the sense that he is more capable of playing a face up game, rather than just playing with his back to the basket game and relying on position. A position game is where a player battles to get to a certain spot on the floor, and to have a specific body alignment that allows him multiple different scoring moves to beat his opponent. Bynum uses his height and size to his advantage to establish position against his defender. He is more comfortable and effective with his back to the basket than Dwight Howard.
The Great Debate: Dwight Howard vs. Andrew Bynum

They both have issues, and not just with their attitudes. Bynum's knees and Howard's back are both suspect. But if they both remain healthy and productive Bynum will definitely catch up, and I think next season will be a real breakout year for him where he will pass Howard statistically, for a few reasons:

1. Brown will get a full training camp and a real pre-season with him for the first time.
  2. Bynum has only had one full season in the NBA, which still wasn't a proper season.
  3. Even with all of his injuries Bynum has shown improvement every year statistically.
  4. That knee surgery in Germany will finally allow Bynum to play without pain.
  5. The Lakers finally have a true point guard that will have as much leverage in the offense as Kobe.
  6. Steve Nash will FIND HIM with pinpoint passes and lobs to the rim!

Having said all that, I would sure like to see them go up against each other in an NBA finals (or any best of seven) series sometime, shades of Russel and Chamberlin!
popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #808 of 827
One area that the Lakers stand to improve in as a team next season is Free Throw shooting. With Nash being a true PG, he'll have his teammates in a better position to score or get fouled trying. And that he himself is an outstanding Free Throw shooter, will demand they take this aspect of the game with more discipline. This will be an early El Segundo contribution by Nash. 
biggrin.gif

The Lakers are not alone, the entire league seems content with leaving points on the table. Many Pro's are just flat out lazy about this aspect of their game. If a team goes out and dominates play of another team, offensively and/or defensively, ends up losing the game by 4 points yet, went 13-28 from the line...why bother?! All of this at the risk of injury, mind you. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #809 of 827
The free throw disparity was huge between the Heat and the Thunder in the finals, IMO it helped change the momentum of the series in a big way.

But the Lakers managed to win a few games back when everyone was "hacking Shaq", and this bunch are all better FT shooters than he was!

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #810 of 827
And it was nerve racking, wasn't it?! I simply want our team to be mentally stronger and smarter. The NBA season, not to mention the other BIGs, is w-a-y too long. And far too many unknowns lurking around each turn. 

So, if a team has a chance to excel they'd better get what they can while they can. You never know when a team's strengths on the floor will be matched or eliminated. And this is where professional player's attitudes should be challenged by the organization. If you recall, Free Throws take place with the action stopped and potential points awarded. Why not take it more serious? Not really hammering the Purple & Gold but was merely pointing out this part of their game will be (should be) enhanced with Steve's arrival. And many players in the league really should take this aspect of the game more serious. 
smiley_thumb.gif

I have no doubt that I could have been more eloquent after delighting in a bowl of HD Dulce de Leche. Ran out last night! 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back