NBA Playoffs 09
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 258
The Celtics game was painful. The Bulls looked much more composed and together. Rose has my pick for ROY, I love his game and demeanor.

Barring some serious upset, I don't see how the Lakeshow or Cleveland could not make it to the Finals when Orlando/Boston/San Antonio have serious injuries. Based on past head-to-heads, the only team that I think has a chance of dismounting the Lakers is Portland, and they have a seriously tough match up right now with the Rockets. No one in the East is going to beat Cleveland.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 258
Boston was surely a surprise.

I think it'll go down like this...

Lakers over Jazz, Houston over Portland, Lakers over Houston
Spurs over Mavs, Nuggets over Hornets, Nuggets over Spurs
Lakers over Nuggets

Cavs over Pistons, Hawks over Heat, Cavs over Hawks
Magic over Sixers, Celtics over Bulls, Celtics over Magic
Cavs over Celtics

Cavs over Lakers

Boring choices... If I had to pick a big surprise, I'd say Hawks over Cavs :O

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 258
x2 for rose as roy. with the media favoring lebron i think the mvp discussion is a wrap. its funny how nobody mentions that on the two meetings of la and cavs, kobe owned the king and gave him his first lost at quickenloans. anyway, i believe it will be la vs cavs in the finals. seeing todays results, i believe the celts can kiss their 2peat hopes goodbye. the dark horse in the east for me will be orlando. i just cant see anybody beating la in the west, neither on the east.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 258
WOW!! Celtics are done. They can't bully anyone around anymore and Stern doesn't give them love so they won't be going anywhere this playoffs. Stern wants a Cavs/Lakers matchup so be it. I think the Nuggets will have a tough matchup against NO and there's no way they beat the spurs.

The playoffs have always been scripted somewhat, but in '06 when they basically gave Wade the championship, it was time to call it quits. The day when stern dies/retires and stops trying to resurrect Jordan's image in one of these young stars will be the day the game goes back to it's skilled old school style of play.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 258
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW!! Celtics are done. They can't bully anyone around anymore and Stern doesn't give them love so they won't be going anywhere this playoffs. Stern wants a Cavs/Lakers matchup so be it. I think the Nuggets will have a tough matchup against NO and there's no way they beat the spurs.

The playoffs have always been scripted somewhat, but in '06 when they basically gave Wade the championship, it was time to call it quits. The day when stern dies/retires and stops trying to resurrect Jordan's image in one of these young stars will be the day the game goes back to it's skilled old school style of play.

that was cold. so will stern hand the championship to bron? the best move as far as marketing is concern. kobe will be out of the discussion in 3-5 years. while this future knickerbucker has light years ahead of him. but seeing the boring spurs won several titles these past few years i highly doubt its scripted. but yes the superstar treatment and "mj" officiating do exist. not to mention the great exxagerated announcers of the nba. oooooohhhhhhh lebron james with no regard for human life. btw he is also a great asset to the community,for the nba cares.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 258
The Celtics vs Bulls game earlier today was fantastic! Derrick Rose is truly a special specimen. I'm rooting for my hometown Rockets, but honestly don't think they have enough to win it all. If it comes out to the Lakers vs Cleveland, which I think seems pretty likely, I'm definitely throwing my support to the lakers. For some reason I've never really enjoyed watching the Cavs play. I guess it's because I really really dislike anderson varejao and his extremely annoying flopping ways. Anyways, I'm just excited that the playoffs are finally here. There's some great basketball to be watched in the next month!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 258
I'm a Celtics fan, but our entire 2nd half of the season has been poor. No one should be at all surprised at the Celtics' performance yesterday. All we've been doing really is hanging around and fighting out wins when we're fortunate enough to come out on top. The guys are injured and tired from this. Rose had a great game. He apparently learned plenty from high stakes NCAA and was able to transfer that to this level, which makes sense but isn't always the case. Props to the Bulls.

Having said that, LeBron and his supporting cast are on a war path. It could well be his year.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 258
Hyper-Biased Celtics fans take here...

-Nobody can stop the Cavs in the East...

-Nobody can stop the Lake show in the West...

Other than the World Champion Celtics as underdogs!

True enough, it has been a long slog of a regular season with obvious setbacks due to injurys, yet with the further growth and experience (PT) for the deepest bench in the league, as well as at the all important positions of gaurd and center!

No one(fans) should have expected the Bulls to be anything other than a battle in these playoffs; Which reminds me of Atlanta (500. team)last year, making that a 7 game series, this is playoff hoops. Young upstarts often play outa their minds as did the very tallented/skilled D.Rose as a case in point as well as the Bulls supporting cast.
In my opinion, they need to continue that same pattern and need to expect Ray Allen to shoot the ball 1 for 7 on open shots and not adjust on D etc. BTW, Rondo was and has been atrocious in the task and putting out the extreme energy to stay in front(more often) of his 1/1 assignment Rose, which puts our bigs in either foul trouble, or the choice of playing soft. This takes effort and will which he is capable of, yet that energy is being spent on his O as a trade off IMO. With the adjustment of putting Tony Allen on Rose for 18 minutes, and playing small ball may be one option/adjustment etc. lowering Roses offensive total, as well as run him around picks softening him up, being beat up and more tired out etc.

Long hard slog for my Cs... And fortunately I love the game first and foremost, so I love the drama and not just the wins or die with every loss upon the path to the big dance...

Perhaps Ray and Paul are spent due to the 82 game season, but I don't think so at this point; I believe way to many options and adjustments as well as will and effort is yet to be tapped within this teams proven and yet to be proven potential, is my greatest hope.

/ Takes off the Green glasses*
Yet I'm still impressed with the competition and look forward to each and every play and game in appreciation of the tallent, skills, effort and will on disply in this postseason, in the game I loved as a player and now exclusively as an interested observer. What a treasure trove of wrttings and opinions both professionally and fan base, this series of tubes
wink.gif
provides...

I do acknowledge the validity of the posters above in terms of the variable of how "calls" are made, or not, and the influance this has in a particular players head and on the outcome of games. Star treatment on carrys(Rose 3 times clearly did in game 1, for instance), or moving picks by Noah and his camping out in the paint at least 6 times etc... LeBron's "crab dribble" is a travel, which they have now even given a nomenclature. *eyeroll*

Granted, the refs have a very difficult job, at these speeds the game is played etc. with holding,grabbing and scratching that goes on in nearly every play in the contemporary NBA game, is a departure from the game most folks grew up playing, indeed leaves one suspect to "the fix is in" thinking, unfortunately... In practical terms, it is Big Bussiness and as that, its influance cannot be denied as to what is witnessed on the floor, IMO&E as a player, albeit on a whole other level and speed to the common game some of us played *shruggs*

Fun, fun, fun on the run for #18
wink.gif

Go Celtics ~

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 258
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stern wants a Cavs/Lakers matchup so be it..

Its a real NBA thread now!
k701smile.gif
I'm hoping the whole deal is scripted, 'cause I want Blake Griffin in a Thunder uni next year. I digress.

--

Carry on.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 258
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't follow the NBA...more of a hockey fan this time of year. In any case, the Nuggies will go down in the first round. Colorado sports teams are known for choking. And, yes, I am bitter....
frown.gif

You know, we could have had the Birdman as he was worked out and called back, a superb shotblocker, and we certainly could have used that length. Mikkie Morre is who Ainge and management signed instead, to my dismay...
frown.gif

Freaky lookin' 7 foot dude is Anderson(sp?), with a lot of hustle and great timing on those blocks(which I believe he leads % in the league).

Best of luck ~

Oh, Sixers tied it up now, coming back from 18 down vs Orlando...lol

Update: Sixers upset da Magic...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back