NBA Finals Thread!!
Jun 9, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #16 of 60
Lakers were lucky to pull game 2 out........it took the best player in the NBA today Kobe Bryant (forget Garnett's MVP) to single handly rescue a floundering team, I have the highest admiration for Kobe he plays 110% both ends of court and has huge heart to make up for many slackers on Laker team......elevates game to ridiculous levels under pressure, very much like vintage Jordan.

Giant sucking sound coming from Payton & Malone ......what a huge disappointment both games (Payton should return his minimum salary, the glove sucks bad). Really Malone should not be playing he has no mobility with tweaked knee, but bench is so weak can you win with major minutes from Devan George, or Medvenko......not likely.

What are you ****ting me LUKE WALTON was playing like a freakin all star! Why has he never played like that before, huge factor in Lakers win expect to see him get more minutes for rest of series, really gave team a lift.

Jun 9, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
Here's a little math:

Shaq takes 16 shots, hits 13

The rest of the team takes 57 shots (27 from Kobe), hits 16

Perhaps Shaq should get the ball more and Kobe should shoot less? I mean, 16 fg attempts for Shaquille O'Neal in the finals is a disgrace! Especially with Bryant launching up 27! What?

The lakers never cease to amaze me by having the single most potent, unstoppable force in basketball, and never using it!

Coz it wouldn't be fair otherwise.
biggrin.gif

btw, I haven't caught a single game of NBA playoffs, so you can disregard anything I say
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 9, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 60
IMO last night's game was lost due to a bad decision by the players. With 10 seconds left Detroit let the game slip away. When the Lakers inbounded the ball they should have fouled either Shaq or Kobe well before they ever got a chance to take the 3-pointer. By fouling you only give them two shots, and the clock is at under 10 seconds. By response the Lakers foul whoever gets the ball on the Pistons side, and you still go up by 3 points once again. Eventually the clock will run down and you win the game.

What a sad game!
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #19 of 60
I agree. That game was almost unbearable to watch towards the end. They should have fouled. Worst that could have happened is that it would have gone into overtime. And that overtime performance was pathetic. It was like they just laid down and let the Lakers have it. Oh well, we'll win the next two at home hopefully.

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Oh well, we'll win the next two at home hopefully.

They actually play the next three games in Detroit. The series now runs 2-3-2, not the usual 2-2-1-1-1. Less travel stress on the players.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 60
Yes Detroit "should" have fouled last play on Laker inbound, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Another rip on Payton........notice how Billups had mediocre series against Indiana, now with Payton guarding him he looks like 1st team allstar.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 60
Yah, Game 2 was painful to watch at the end. What a golden opportunity blown...if anyone fouls anyone in the last 30 seconds of regulation (except Kobe on the shot, of course), the Pistons win that game...and likely the series.

Big mistake by Larry Brown to not foul Shaq so hard that the ball doesn't go in. If you're going to foul anyway, take him to the FLOOR!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh well...there's always game 3...Pistons might still win it all, but they really needed a victory last night. To lose that way could haunt them.

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 60
I really hated Doc Rivers calling game 2 "amazing" and "legendary". Yeah right. I've watched some legendary games, this wasn't one of them.

Anyway, I still didn't see as much Shaq as I would have liked. I really think the lakers are going to need at least 35-40 points from him and around 25 or more from Kobe for game three. Luke Walton getting 8 assists in his first finals game ever to tie Magic's record was special, but Luke Walton is no Bill Walton, the Lakers need their stars to play like stars. I don't see the problem with pumping it in to Shaq 40 or more times per game. It's not like he's stoppable once he gets the ball. So, there'll be a few more turnovers. Big deal when every other possessions ends in a dunk or a trip to the line, and we all know Shaq can make free throws "when he needs to".

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 60
A little tonguelashing by shaq after the game:

"It amazes me how he [Luke Walton] can give me the ball and guys that have been playing with me four, five, six years can't give me the ball," O'Neal said. "He got it about six, seven times to me."

It amazes me too. I'd almost like to see the Lakers without Kobe next year, as long as they have someone who know's that the best thing to do in every situation is give the ball to Shaq.

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 60
Well, I was wondering how the dagger in the heart by Kobe in Game 2 would have affected my Pistons. It appears that it's pissed them off.

They are man-handling the Lakers by 20 points right now. It's a thing of beauty to watch.
icon10.gif

I'm still nervous about the series as a whole - Game 2 shows that the Lakers have a lot in the tank. However, it appears that the old canard that "great defense beats great offense" may be true after all.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
They are man-handling the Lakers by 20 points right now. It's a thing of beauty to watch.
icon10.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
That game way definitely a thing of beauty. Nothing satisfies me more than seeing the Lakers lose. Okay, maybe the Yankees. But you get the idea.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 60
LOL, Shaq and Kobe are slackers! They expect opponents to roll over and play dead for them. The Lakers more or less come to life with their backs against the wall. This is why they sucked during the regular season--they only begin to try to play well in the playoffs.
It would serve them right if Detroit outworks them and wins!

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 60
Well, Game 4 is in the books, and it sure looks like the Pistons are going to prevail in the series.

Kobe Bryant's need to be "the man" is costing the Lakers any chance that they might have of winning this thing. Now they have to win the next three in a row, and I don't see how that's going to happen.

One thing I've enjoyed watching is the way that this Pistons team hangs together and truly does play as a team. They have no Shaq, no Kobe, and maybe that's why they are able to do what they do. It's clear to me that Kobe is costing his team a shot at the title, but he either can't see it or doesn't care. Oh well...

I saw the interviews after the game last night...Shaq seemed very pissed, but Kobe was smiley and joking. Maybe it's just a difference in styles, but I get the impression that Kobe is already contemplating life in NY or some other venue after this season (Colorado Correctional League?). My advice - buyer beware...

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #30 of 60
Well, eventhough I root for Pistons right now, I believe Lakers should be able to win yesterday if they don't have Kobe. Their strategy to rely on Shaq is good enough until Kobe messed things up. BUT What the Hell, GO PISTONS GO PISTONS GO PISTONS
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back