Natural tranquilizers
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 30
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
explore the world of cannabis, i usually feel pretty tranquil when it's in my system and it's 100% natural!

Please don't mention anything illegal on these forums. It will only get head-fi in trouble with the law. And, if I may say so, self-incrimination is hardly a good idea. We don't live in a free society, and posting anything online is pretty much akin to yelling something in the middle of a city street. You never know who's listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people have neurochemical dysfunctions that can easily and frequently trap them in a feedback loop where working out problems is impossible - or at the very least highly unlikely.

I think that in this particular situation it is safer to assume, to start with, that this is not the case, and attempt a behavioral/social solution, rather than automatically trying meds, which may not be necessary and which may cause complications and side effects. If a behavioral approach doesn't work, then it's time for meds.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't mention anything illegal on these forums. It will only get head-fi in trouble with the law. And, if I may say so, self-incrimination is hardly a good idea. We don't live in a free society, and posting anything online is pretty much akin to yelling something in the middle of a city street. You never know who's listening.

You're right, he probably wants to say SWIM or something along those lines, and probably not on Head-Fi.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is political and should be stricken from the thread.

[removed before the mods have to]

The man needs a sedigive.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 30
Herbal remedies are bogus. If you're really having problems, there are practical ways of dealing with it, and then perscription ways of dealing with it. I suggest you try some practical things first (increase exercise and sleep), but nothing you're going to buy at GNC is going to help you. I remember hearing about this lady who tried to commit suicide by swallowing an entire canister of those herbal sedatives, then called her friends up crying and admitted it, so they rushed her to the hospital, but nothing happened at all because herbal remedies are bogus.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 30
I have a degree in Western Medicine, and am studying Ayurveda (traditional medicine of India).

I know there's so many opinions and suggestions expressed already, but here is a holistic long-term regimen for you:

Do a full body massage every day with warm organic sesame oil or a special herbal oil as described here. Pay attention to the head, ears, heart center, navel and soles of the feet.

Massage a little of the above medicated oil to the forehead and soles of the feet before sleeping. Wipe off excess with tissue.

I highly recommend this Ayurvedic herbal extract formula. It is more potent and balanced than any single herb (kava, valerian) and will promote restfulness and reduce anxiety without making you feel dopey. Take one spoonful twice daily, or more as needed. If this formula causes excess drowsiness, use this alternative in the daytime (it's also very complementary otherwise).

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herbal remedies are bogus. If you're really having problems, there are practical ways of dealing with it, and then perscription ways of dealing with it. I suggest you try some practical things first (increase exercise and sleep), but nothing you're going to buy at GNC is going to help you. I remember hearing about this lady who tried to commit suicide by swallowing an entire canister of those herbal sedatives, then called her friends up crying and admitted it, so they rushed her to the hospital, but nothing happened at all because herbal remedies are bogus.

It depends on what you mean by herbal remedies. You really can't group them all together. Here are a few that could (unpleasantly) kill you:

Ephedra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Digitalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atropa belladonna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yohimbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (stems and leaves)

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #23 of 30
it was a joke, and talking about weed is not going to stir any trouble with the law, that is the dorkiest response i've read on here yet...

it's rather pathetic to be expressing this kind of issue on a tech forum to begin with. he obviously just needs some affection from real life friends/ladies/etc.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Yeah, like Penicillin,vitamin C, Aspirin (comes from tree bark), etc.
Deprimine is made from St Johns Wort, and alot of other medications are actually made from herbs, but obviously you must be a doctor, so you know best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Doctors also say vitamins are totally unnecessary because americans eat so well and were not in a third world country.
Yayyy MacDonalds!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love herbs, theyre totally bogus dood!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #25 of 30
Some herbal remedies are bogus. They are created as a money making scheme. But, when I tried Relax-all I couldn't believe the warmth that moved into my lower back and extremities. I don't recommend anyone drive while using it. The most active ingredient is Phenibut.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut

Quote:

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 30
Chadbang, the first thing that came to mind was melatonin. Not really a tranquilizer, but it does a great job of getting you to relax and fall asleep. I've used it in the past and it worked as advertised. Might be worth a try.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, like Penicillin,vitamin C, Aspirin (comes from tree bark), etc.
Deprimine is made from St Johns Wort, and alot of other medications are actually made from herbs, but obviously you must be a doctor, so you know best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Doctors also say vitamins are totally unnecessary because americans eat so well and were not in a third world country.
Yayyy MacDonalds!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love herbs, theyre totally bogus dood!
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I didn't phrase my post right. I wasn't referring to plants like those above that naturally contain toxins or drugs of interest to the body, I was referring to the kind of thing they market in stores like GNC that are supposedly "herbal relaxants/stimulants/revitalizing agents" or any of that other mumbo-jumbo, bottom line, the kind of things that consumers buy because of the placebo effect that have no toxicity or any value to the body whatsoever. I suppose there's no set way to distinguish it, but there is a difference between an herbal remedy that I'm referring to and an actual drug.

I synthesized aspirin in lab this year... it's not hard, and at this point, people aren't boiling the salicylic acid out of bark to make aspirin, I hate to say it. Most importantly, it's marketed as a drug, not an herbal remedy. You can hurt yourself if you take too much of it, and there are warnings to tell you this. Look, I'm not a doctor, I'm a chem major, but I have a finely tuned BS detector for stuff like this and my point is that a lot of these marketed, pre-packaged herbal remedies do absolutely nothing beneficial for you. For the OP, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be wasting your time trying to find some kind of "herbal tranquilizer" that's probably bogus when you need to solve your problems another way.

Actually, what you say about vitamins is absolutely true. Many people don't realize that most of the stuff you get in a multivitamin is used catalytically by the body, so you don't necessarily need to "replace" everything on a daily basis, and yeah, a balanced diet will do you just fine in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that humans did just fine before we found chemical engineers to make multivitamins for us.

Also, penicillin was discovered in blue-green mold, not a plant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back