natural sounding headphones <$450
Dec 3, 2006 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

nothing101

500+ Head-Fier
im looking for headphones as an upgrade from my LDII+ and k501.

im looking for something that sounds nicely believable with a great midrange and nothing poking or being hidden. (bass on the 501)

im looking very closely at the stax 2050 system but im not sure if it is the right choice. mostly because i need another amp. if i could start again i would definitely jump on the stax. (not literally)

i havent heard the 701 so that might work.

My musical tastes are too broad for grados or most senns. i like music from rock and electronica to classical, new age and blues and so on

id like it to be open and portability is not a concern.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 46
Have you thought about the Sennheiser HD-650? It might be what you're looking for.

It does have a certain darkness to it, but it's fairly neutral overall. To explain that, think about the difference between looking at something with and without sunglasses on. HD-650s are like sunglasses, making everything darker. Everything is still there in relation to each other, but a little darker than it should be.

On the other hand, a pair of Grados is more like rose-colored glasses. Things do look better, but the colors are off. Still, they're pretty enjoyable.

I haven't heard a pair, but I've read that the HD-600 is a little more tonally neutral than the HD-650. Maybe you'd be interested in those.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 46
i know there are heaps of natural dynamic cans but i havent really heard any of them and im asking how they compare to electrostats.

by the way natural and neutral arent the same

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 46
K701 is the benchmark of neutrality.
I can't think of another current-production headphone that is more neutral.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for some natural cans you can't beat the 701s, or possibly even the SA5k's if you want to pick apart your tunes.

Add sunscreen if using the SA5000..

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im looking for headphones as an upgrade from my LDII+ and k501.

im looking for something that sounds nicely believable with a great midrange and nothing poking or being hidden. (bass on the 501)

im looking very closely at the stax 2050 system but im not sure if it is the right choice. mostly because i need another amp. if i could start again i would definitely jump on the stax. (not literally)

i havent heard the 701 so that might work.

My musical tastes are too broad for grados or most senns. i like music from rock and electronica to classical, new age and blues and so on

id like it to be open and portability is not a concern.

Maybe the DT880. Although has a touch of brightness..

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the DT880. Although has a touch of brightness..

well i havent heard any beyers but i hear that the 880 is slow and that has scared me away from it.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 46
SA5k's are far from natural sounding. I also wouldn't recommend STAX if you want a realistic, natural sound (Don't get me wrong, my SR-404s sound wonderful and very ethereal...but I would never call them realistic/natural). Though you may still end up liking the electrostat sound if you don't care for bass thump and have some sort of affinity for a slightly brighter sound than neutral.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 46
why does everyone think but me think stax is bright??? i thought the 2020 and 3030 had a warm, smooth seamless sound when i listened. maybe it was that i was listening to the 501 before that. it had waaay more bass than the 501.

i havent heard a more balanced sound than stax maybe cause i the most high end dynamic can ive heard is the sr325i.

maybe what i think is natural is a midrange focused sound. maybe its because i listen to quads. still i really like stax.

maybe i should compare better dynamic headphones to electrostats?

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 46
basically, what i am looking for is a realistic tonal balance. the least of a sound signature. is this the 701? or is there a headphone with less of a sound signature within this price range?

btw, thanx for all the suggestions!

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 46
I think the HD650s are very natural and realistic sounding, perhaps just a tad warmer than neutral, though. I also don't feel that they are dark per se, just...not bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back