natural sounding headphones <$450
Dec 6, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #46 of 46
I have not heard many of the other reccomendations here, but I have heard K701 on my Headfive and HA-1, as well as 325i, which I now own, and HD590 which I've owned for years. The K701 is a really good all around phone. A little more laid back than the 325i, and less bass. Has better sound stage and sepperation. I think the 325i has a sweeter tone, and especially shines with female vocals. The 325i with Sennheiser 414 pads, which I also just recieved, is a possible option. They make the phones a little less bright and a lot more comfortable. detail loss is minor, and sibilance is also reduced. Search for my thread on the 325i for more. I'll be punching some holes in the 414 pads to try and make them even better.

The K701 are hard to drive, so they're a poor choice for portables. The 325i is a lot easier and sounds fustratingly close to the Headfive, just coming out of the phone jack on my sound card. (Terratec card with breakout box, probably one of the better sound card phone jacks FWIW.)

By comparison to the 325i and K701, my 590s suck. Way too dark, no detail, and not much energy. And these are supposed to be the brighter, livelier Senns.. Well, they served me well, but now they just don't cut it.

All this said, if Stax makes a portable phone you like, it's probably your most practical option. Try to audition a few different things. Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back