natural sounding headphones <$450
Dec 3, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My musical tastes are too broad for grados or most senns. i like music from rock and electronica to classical, new age and blues and so on.

Well....that's the bottom-line problem, isn't it?

Yup.

And where the phrase "sorry 'bout your wallet" really hits home!

Not one set of cans currently available to us mere mortals with reasonably priced source and amplification devices can do the job.

As an example...ok, what I'm going to try anyway; is attempt to cover all the bases with only two sets of phones for main listening duties. I currently have MS2i for all forms of rock other than the most exciting varieties, then on through jazz and into light classical. I'll then be picking up a pair of HD600s to slide in from the other side and cover most of the heavier forms of classical, then heading back through jazz and toward classical rock. Between these two more-or-less neutral choices of cans should be the right phones to cover most everything in my CD collection.

Well....maybe.

But, speaking of the originally quoted <$450 price, this is just an example, but both of these cans may be purchased used, and stay within that price!!

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 46
What about the AT-AD2000 that can be had for approx. 500 or less sold around here.

BTW, what is natural to you may be something else to someone different.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 46
I listened to the AT-AD2000 yesterday..Very nice set of cans

Compared it to the HD-600, similar signature, but the ad2000 is a bit faster, and not quite so dark

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #20 of 46
For neutrality I feel that the K701 are at the top of the pile. At least they are at the top anywhere near the stated price.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 46
I ended up going DT880 recently, I felt was actually more neutral than the K701. Check headphone.com frequency response graphs for yourself. K701 tends to be a bit toward the darker side.

If you think DT880 is slow because of a couple of posts, I should remind you that there have been many other posts stating how tight and fast it is as well. And see this review:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1348;pt;1

They state:

what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. The DT880s have quick, tight bass that has great impact. It may not have the booming sound some people like for their rap and rock music, but we found it to be both powerful and accurate at the same time. Bass-heads may be a little disappointed but the rest of you will find the bass on this model to be of exceptionally high quality.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 46
If you like the STAX, get the STAX. They just might be a bit brighter and leaner than most people would like, but you don't seem to have a problem with it.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

im looking very closely at the stax 2050 system but im not sure if it is the right choice. mostly because i need another amp. if i could start again i would definitely jump on the stax. (not literally)

Why do you need another amp? The SRM-252A included with the 2050 system isn't too shabby.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you need another amp? The SRM-252A included with the 2050 system isn't too shabby.

And it can be portable with a DC pack, too! I wish I had an SRM-252A
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

im looking for headphones as an upgrade from my LDII+ and k501.

im looking for something that sounds nicely believable with a great midrange and nothing poking or being hidden. (bass on the 501)

im looking very closely at the stax 2050 system but im not sure if it is the right choice. mostly because i need another amp. if i could start again i would definitely jump on the stax. (not literally)

i havent heard the 701 so that might work.

My musical tastes are too broad for grados or most senns. i like music from rock and electronica to classical, new age and blues and so on

id like it to be open and portability is not a concern.

I highly recommend the senn's Hd600's I have not heard the 650's but Ray from RSA says they are too bassy and he has not steered me wrong yet. and I was a noobie some 500+ posts ago. They were my first real set and I still like them the best or equally to my UE-10's. You get an airyness from the senns you just cany get with IEMS! Just my 2 cents
rs1smile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

My musical tastes are too broad for grados or most senns. i like music from rock and electronica to classical, new age and blues and so on

Actually, IMHO, having a pair of Senns and Grados can give you the best of both worlds. Santa came early for me.....my 650s arrived today!!!!!!! Initial impression over the HD600 is favorable. I don't find them too bass heavy.....there is some more treble extension....some details are different, and it can really get some bass slam for music such as Massive Attack. Going through my DAC1, it has a good sound signature for even a general can. More so then the HD600 actually. I had been using HD595s for most classical because of it's brightness, but the HD650s seem a bit better for symphonies then the HD600s. I'm looking forward to getting a Single Power PPX Extreme (my current wish item)....it should give the HD650 some more speed and overall detail.

Senns are considered bass heavy, while Grados are the opposite and are considered treble heavy. They can be "faster". So I'm thinking I might need to get the 325i as my next can. Once I get one, I think I'll be done with this head-fi stuff for awhile!!!! (except getting cables and that PPX extreme).

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it can be portable with a DC pack, too! I wish I had an SRM-252A
frown.gif

Indeed, a battery pack in on my list. Should be good in a "portable" system.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
For neutrality why not the Sen 595's?

They're sound signature is somewhat neutral but they're not that fast and they don't expose every last bit of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back