*Narrowed Down to Dt 880 pro or pro 2500* Looking for headphones
Dec 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #91 of 103
Unfortunately, guitar center pushed the shipping date back by weeks, so I am still open to suggestions and may end up buying other headphones if it doesn't work out.
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #92 of 103
HOLY CRAP, sorry guys, I'll be in heaven for a while
biggrin.gif

Hey, where's the Ultrasone smiley?

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #93 of 103
forget the hd555 the 595's are on amazon for 117 right now this is the best deal you can get around 100 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293755048&sr=1-1

I own this sound card personally and it's amazing

http://www.amazon.com/Essence-STX-Channels-Interface-Headphone/dp/B001OV789U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1293755133&sr=1-1

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #94 of 103
I'll take it that you received your Pro 2500s.  Congrats and enjoy.  I wish there was an Ultrasone smiley as well haha

Quote:
HOLY CRAP, sorry guys, I'll be in heaven for a while
biggrin.gif

Hey, where's the Ultrasone smiley?

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #96 of 103
So you did get the Pro 2500 any thoughts about them?

If you liked them out of box you'll really start loving them after some burn in time.
They really do change burn in is real with Ultrasone's.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #97 of 103
ULTRASONE PRO 2500

Well, I don't really have the vocab and terminology down yet, so cut me some slack.

I am surprised with the comfort, there's just the right amount of pressure on my head, the padding up top was stiff at first but got better.  I can easily wear these for hours, I even fell asleep with these on today.  The ear pads are soft and  my ears don't touch the metal inside.

As long as you keep the volume down, they don't really leak.  The only way I can hear them from the outside is if I put my ear directly on the outside of the cups.

Onto the sound...
The sound of the instruments is very nice.  I think the better word might be tonality, the voice of the trumpets and other instruments, is great.  Detail is loads better than my old cans,  I can hear more and the instruments and voices are separated, not mixed into a big pot.  Sound is more natural, especially the male voices and their unique tone.  The soundstage depends on the song, it can go from being very adhesive, small, to being nice and spacious.  It's not an artificial soundstage, it isn't always big and echoed, unless the song is.  It sounds pretty good with Pink Floyd's signature sound.  The texture seems fairly well on the bass guitar, but I'd like to see how it could improve even more.  The drums sound like drums, but I don't really know how to describe the cymbals.  They also are revealing of the recording and compression faults.  I had a scare when I heard a crackle on the high notes of Layla by Eric Clapton, but by turning my speakers up loud and putting my ear right on it - I still heard it.  Thank god, I thought with relief.  They sound more, well, open than my other cans.  They are well suited for rock.  Tom Petty sounds great with Damn The Torpedoes Deluxe edition.  The vocals on Pigs On The Wing along with the guitar sounds fantastic.  Susie Q. by CCR sounds great with the different instruments coming in at different times and in different places.  Bohemian Rhapsody with the harmonies and piano with the guitar sounds excellent.  Supertramp sounds good, but the singers voice seems behind the instruments, the piano being in front.  The Traveling Wilburys guitars, drums and harmonies in the vocals sound great.  Expecting to Fly by Buffalo

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #98 of 103
I am jealous of your Ultrasone smiley!  A FiiO e7 might be a great investment for you. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #99 of 103
I found the same crackle that was in Clapton on Tom Petty's Here Comes My Girl between 48 and 60 seconds.  It is an alac version and I know my internal DAC can't entirely handle it, but should it be there

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #100 of 103
I did the speaker tests and it seems to only be on the headphones.  I assume the worst.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #101 of 103
The Pro 2500s don't require an amp, but definitely could use one.  Any crackling or distortions you hear could be due to underamping them and then listening to a complex passage that the headphone cannot handle due to a lack of power.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #102 of 103
So would an amp or a dac be best to get, or a combo like the ibasso d4.  Is too much information going to the dac and getting jumbled once in a while due to overload, or they just need more power?

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #103 of 103
If you have money, I'd get both.  If you are on a budget though, The D4 or any other D-series from Ibasso would be a great place to start.  They all have good DACS (specifically the D4 though) and most of them output enough power to drive the 2500s properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back