Nan-6 planar headphone ?
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #31 of 204
Ok, measurement time folks. A short note on how to read my graphs: headphones are measured on an IEC-60318:4 compliant coupler with a silicon ear and cheek simulator. Measurements are done in 84db with five position averages to simulate best case scenarios of perfect seal. All measurements have been compared to Oratory1990's target (dotted lines in the graph), which I personally find to be closest to perceived neutrality.

Let's get started with channel matching, I must say that results are exemplary here.

NAN6 channel matching.jpg

For comparisons, this is how the NAN-6 stacks up with the HD800S.

vsHD800S.jpg

And with HE6SE V2:

v6sev2.jpg

Finally, the velcro mod for the ear pads versus the original:

velcro mod.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #32 of 204
You saying some sharpness due to the air gap of the earpad?

I am suggesting that it could be the case, although I am not sure if the pair you auditioned have had the velcro mod applied. Personally I find the NAN6 the less sibilant or sharp than both the Hifimans I have. But that again is with the default hybrid pads and no velcro mod.

Dec 5, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #33 of 204
I´m intrigued if this is in fact an actual homemade diaphragm based on the HE6. If it is, is it based on the OG HE6 or the HE6SE?

And also want to see pictures that the drivers are in fact made at home, as I suspect this headphone is just a reshelled he6se. (Good price tough, 600$ for a grill upgrade and audeze headband)

If it's HE6se diaphragm assembled at home, why not use stealth magnets?

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 204
Ok, measurement time folks. A short note on how to read my graphs: headphones are measured on an IEC-60318:4 compliant coupler with a silicon ear and cheek simulator. Measurements are done in 84db with five position averages to simulate best case scenarios of perfect seal. All measurements have been compensated with Oratory1990's Optimum Hifi target (dotted lines in the graph), which I personally find to be closest to perceived neutrality.

Let's get started with channel matching, I must say that results are exemplary here.

For comparisons, this is how the NAN-6 stacks up with the HD800S.

And with HE6SE V2:

Finally, the velcro mod for the ear pads versus the original:

Nan6 FR (vs HE6se), nearly same profile than HE6se with velour pads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-16672914

Nan6 has same drivers and magnets than HE6se, except the grill and pads, I don’t really see the point of getting this headphone when HE6se v1 is available from Hifiman at 699$.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 204
Nan6 FR (vs HE6se), nearly same profile than HE6se with velour pads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-16672914

Nan6 has same drivers and magnets than HE6se, except the grill and pads, I don’t really see the point of getting this headphone when HE6se v1 is available from Hifiman at 699$.

Not really, although both use double sided magnets and gold-coated diaphragm there are also important differences. The distance between magnets and the position of the diaphragm within the magnetic field are also different. Driver tension is similar but the air gap behaviour reveals different resonance frequncy in the bass, albeit not far off.

In fact, the difference is can be proved by the fact that the NAN-6 and HE6SE V2 measure very differently even with the same pads, as I have shown in the graphs. I also have the Hifiman round velour pads and they measure quite differently to the post you mentioned.

I believe NAN-6 manufactuer their own drivers and Hifiman makes their owns. IMO the tuning of NAN-6 is different to HE-6, HE6SE or Susvara, which I think is a good thing. I will explain more in the upcoming full review.

But you're absolutely right about the amazing value the HE6SE V2 offers. At $549 the price performance ratio is just nuts. give them enough power and you get TOTL performance back. Couldn't have imagined this a few years back.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #39 of 204
Not really, although both use double sided magnets and gold-coated diaphragm there are also important differences. The distance between magnets and the position of the diaphragm within the magnetic field are also different. Driver tension is similar but the air gap behaviour reveals different resonance frequncy in the bass, albeit not far off.

In fact, the difference is can be proved by the fact that the NAN-6 and HE6SE V2 measure very differently even with the same pads, as I have shown in the graphs. I also have the Hifiman round velour pads and they measure quite differently to the post you mentioned.

I believe NAN-6 manufactuer their own drivers and Hifiman makes their owns. IMO the tuning of NAN-6 is different to HE-6, HE6SE or Susvara, which I think is a good thing. I will explain more in the upcoming full review.

But you're absolutely right about the amazing value the HE6SE V2 offers. At $549 the price performance ratio is just nuts. give them enough power and you get TOTL performance back. Couldn't have imagined this a few years back.
I would like to see some proof of manufacturing and the differences you mention about the drivers.

EDIT: I forgot to include the graph comparison between NAN-6 and HE6SE V2 with the same pads. It's the one below:

NAN-6 (red) vs. HE6SE V2 with NAN-6 Pads (green).jpg
This just look like normal difference in driver to me.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #40 of 204
I would like to see some proof of manufacturing and the differences you mention about the drivers.

This just look like normal difference in driver to me.
The info on manufacturing differences were translated from the descriptions of NAN-6 on the Chinese store product page. Unfortunately I won't be able to verify or show you the differences physically as it would require taking the unit completly apart, which I am not going to do lol (not rich enough unfortuanately).

On the seoncd point, not sure if I got you right, but do you mean normal difference in driver as in the sense of unit variation? To me the difference between 1-2khz is defintely significant though. And a difference in this region normally suggests differences in diaphragm tension and 'breathability' of the structure, for the lack of a better word. We also have to bear in mind that open-back planars tend to have a linear bass-mid presentation ie. basically flat from 20hz-1khz (compare Audeze, HFM and DCA open planars). So treble differences play a key role, especially to the ear since FR doesn't always tell the whole story. Most planars have linear bass, but I am sure you have heard differences between planars with the same flat bass measurement. At the end of the day the NAN-6 was allegedly modelled on the initial version of the HE-6, so a high degree of similarity is not unexpected.

What I like most about the NAN-6 is that it does not simply follow the tuning of the HFMs. It's got its own character, just look at how they compare to the HE6SE V2 in stock form. For the most part this is due to the pad design, and secondly those physical differences. I'll talk more about this later.

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #41 of 204
Full review here for those interested.

-------------Build, comfort, etc.--------

Reasonably well built, certainly so for a DIY product. No weird design flaws, no squeaks around the yoke. Comfort is very good thanks to manageable weight (some 430g), and oh boy, what a nice big chunk of leather on the headband. It literally looks like a piece of really premium leather meant for luxury handbags lol. Structurally it is very similar to the Audeze suspension headband, so imagine a pair of Audezes on the head but much lighter. Aesthetically the NAN-6 look quite good to me, with the gold accent matching the colour of the diaphragm coating. The main housing is plastic though, would be nice to see CNC metal here. All in all no complaints here.

---------------Sound-------------------

Bass: Great planar bass with extension right down to 20hz. Impact, punch and dynamics are exellent. These slam slightly harder than the HE1000V2 and even the HE6SE V2, although they do not have the bass presence (quantity) of the HEKV2. Sometimes I feel the HE6SE V2 have slightly better bass definition, but this could be the trade-off for slam and impact.

Mids: Full-bodied and pleasant. Hifiman headphones especially the more recent breed tend to have a slightly scooped midrange and a minor boost in the upper mids. The NAN-6 does the opposite: a small bump in the lower parts of the mids and a more conservative upper mids. In this sense it's like the NAN-6 blends in some of the Audeze tuning: vocals are full-bodied but not in-your-face or aggressive.

Treble: Very neutral, only a tad darker than the HE6SE V2. Despite the two measure very similarly in treble above 5khz the actual difference is quite audible, which IMO is because on the one hand differeces in upper mids inevitably colour the presentation of treble, and on the other hand our hearing is most sensitive in the treble. The biggest difference is NAN-6 has less upper treble, which can be good or bad. It sounds less shimmery or sparkly than the HE6SE V2, but is also therefore smoother and more relaxed. A good example to showcase the difference is cymbal hits, if you find Hifiman planars a bit too sharp in presenting cymbal strikes and crashes then the NAN-6 is probably better for you.

Technicalities: The NAN-6 is about 4-5db more efficient than the HE6SE V2 when measured at 1khz on my measurement rig. Resolution is basically on par with the HE6SE V2. Macrodynamics on the NAN-6 is a strong point IMO, whether it's due to the seal or the differences in placement of the magnets the NAN-6 just slams a bit harder. Try the drum hits in the jazz arrangement of Little Fugue in G Minor (BWV 578) by Jacques Loussier.

Soundstage width, depth, and imaging:
Big differences here. Swapping from NAN-6 to HE6SE V2 you immediately feel that stage presentation completly changed. NAN-6 is more intimate, emphasising width while the HE6SE V2 is more laid back with an amazing depth. The HE6SE V2 is still the king of soundstage depth, with an unbelievably deep stage that allows exellent layering of instruments. I don't know how the 6SE does that but it just has this amazing quality. In terms of horizontal stage, although the width is about the same, I somehow feel the decay of instruments on the NAN-6 extend a bit further than the HE6SE V2, probably due to its more open back vent design.

Overall sound profile and genre pairing (default hybrid pads): Balanced with an ever-so-slightly tilt towards a mellow midrange. Great for guitars and vocal oriented music, classic rock, folk, country, etc. With these pads the NAN-6 is somewhere between HE6SE V2 and Audeze, with the latter's vocal and bass.

Overall sound profile and genre pairing (round velour pads): Balanced with more emphasis in the mid-bass and upper treble than the default pads. Soundstage opens up a little. Slams a bit harder. More of an all-rounder for all music genres.

---------------Concluding remarks--------------

No, you don’t need the NAN-6 if you already have HE6 or HE6SE. I bought my HE6SE V2 for $699 and thought it was the best buy I ever had. The NAN-6 is just as good with a few delightful tweaks.

It’s nonetheless very nice to see that more competent manufacturers emerging. Tuning-wise I was happy to see that it wasn’t a clone of the Hifiman entirely, because there would be no point.

IMO the upshot is that the NAN-6 showcases the manufacturer's ability to engineer and tune a pair of planar headphones. I was also informed on the Chinese forums that the manufacturer is now working on new proprietary models. After hearing what the NAN-6 offers I am quite excited about those.

IMG_6648.JPEG

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #42 of 204
Full review here for those interested.

-------------Build, comfort, etc.--------

Reasonably well built, certainly so for a DIY product. No weird design flaws, no squeaks around the yoke. Comfort is very good thanks to manageable weight (some 430g), and oh boy, what a nice big chunk of leather on the headband. It literally looks like a piece of really premium leather meant for luxury handbags lol. Structurally it is very similar to the Audeze suspension headband, so imagine a pair of Audezes on the head but much lighter. Aesthetically the NAN-6 look quite good to me, with the gold accent matching the colour of the diaphragm coating. The main housing is plastic though, would be nice to see CNC metal here. All in all no complaints here.

---------------Sound-------------------

Bass: Great planar bass with extension right down to 20hz. Impact, punch and dynamics are exellent. These slam slightly harder than the HE1000V2 and even the HE6SE V2, although they do not have the bass presence (quantity) of the HEKV2. Sometimes I feel the HE6SE V2 have slightly better bass definition, but this could be the trade-off for slam and impact.

Mids: Full-bodied and pleasant. Hifiman headphones especially the more recent breed tend to have a slightly scooped midrange and a minor boost in the upper mids. The NAN-6 does the opposite: a small bump in the lower parts of the mids and a more conservative upper mids. In this sense it's like the NAN-6 blends in some of the Audeze tuning: vocals are full-bodied but not in-your-face or aggressive.

Treble: Very neutral, only a tad darker than the HE6SE V2. Despite the two measure very similarly in treble above 5khz the actual difference is quite audible, which IMO is because on the one hand differeces in upper mids inevitably colour the presentation of treble, and on the other hand our hearing is most sensitive in the treble. The biggest difference is NAN-6 has less upper treble, which can be good or bad. It sounds less shimmery or sparkly than the HE6SE V2, but is also therefore smoother and more relaxed. A good example to showcase the difference is cymbal hits, if you find Hifiman planars a bit too sharp in presenting cymbal strikes and crashes then the NAN-6 is probably better for you.

Technicalities: The NAN-6 is about 4-5db more efficient than the HE6SE V2 when measured at 1khz on my measurement rig. Resolution is basically on par with the HE6SE V2. Macrodynamics on the NAN-6 is a strong point IMO, whether it's due to the seal or the differences in placement of the magnets the NAN-6 just slams a bit harder. Try the drum hits in the jazz arrangement of Little Fugue in G Minor (BWV 578) by Jacques Loussier.

Soundstage width, depth, and imaging:
Big differences here. Swapping from NAN-6 to HE6SE V2 you immediately feel that stage presentation completly changed. NAN-6 is more intimate, emphasising width while the HE6SE V2 is more laid back with an amazing depth. The HE6SE V2 is still the king of soundstage depth, with an unbelievably deep stage that allows exellent layering of instruments. I don't know how the 6SE does that but it just has this amazing quality. In terms of horizontal stage, although the width is about the same, I somehow feel the decay of instruments on the NAN-6 extend a bit further than the HE6SE V2, probably due to its more open back vent design.

Overall sound profile and genre pairing (default hybrid pads): Balanced with an ever-so-slightly tilt towards a mellow midrange. Great for guitars and vocal oriented music, classical rock, folk, country, etc. With these pads the NAN-6 is somewhere between HE6SE V2 and Audeze, with the latter's vocal and bass.

Overall sound profile and genre pairing (round velour pads): Balanced with more emphasis in the mid-bass and upper treble than the default pads. Soundstage opens up a little. Slams a bit harder. More of an all-rounder for all music genres.

---------------Concluding remarks--------------

No, you don’t need the NAN-6 if you already have HE6 or HE6SE. I bought my HE6SE V2 for $699 and thought it was the best buy I ever had. The NAN-6 is just as good with a few delightful tweaks.

It’s nonetheless very nice to see that more competent manufacturers emerging. Tuning-wise I was happy to see that it wasn’t a clone of the Hifiman entirely, because there would be no point.

IMO the upshot is that the NAN-6 showcases the manufacturer's ability to engineer and tune a pair of planar headphones. I was also informed on the Chinese forums that the manufacturer is now working on new proprietary models. After hearing what the NAN-6 offers I am quite excited about those.

IMG_6648.JPEG
Newer model is still in doing for 1-2months release. Is more expensive than nan6. Did you use the velour or the thicker leather one to listen?

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #43 of 204
Newer model is still in doing for 1-2months release. Is more expensive than nan6. Did you use the velour or the thicker leather one to listen?

The thicker leather hybrid one. What do you mean by new model still in doing? I have the Edition XS incoming though can share measurement and impressions if anyone’s interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back