Name these phones...
May 31, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I had the SPs for 3 months, and finally sold them and bought the legendary HD25-1 cause I was just too curious. I feel like the SPs are one of the most underrated headphones on head fi do to the fact that his brother is so awesome. If you are impressed by the HD25SP, you will be even more impressed by the HD25-1 cause there is a reason it costs twice as much.The isolation is also far better on the HD25-1 because of the different headband and the cable is far superior. The HD25SP actually has a higher impedance and benefits more from an amp than its big brother. The most noticeable difference between the two is definitely the clarity, the amazing clarity, and the tighter and more prominent bass. They are both just as transparent and there is not much improvement in soundstage between the two. As much as I love the SP, I am not sure anyone who listened to both of them could possibly choose it over its much more refined brother. Sell your HD25SP and get the big brother if you got the money.

May 31, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 7
I can do this one too, because I sold my m50s because of my HD25SPs. If you are using an amp, I actually like the HD25SPs a lot more than the m50s. However, I am sure many people will disagree with this cause there are many m50 lovers out there. The m50 definitely has a much more pronounced bass and a wider soundstage, but the HD25SP had more clarity and detail. I tend to like brighter more analytical headphones so this may be the reason for my preference. I also found the m50s to be very uncomfortable when compared to the simple HD25SP.

If you are leaning toward the m50, grab them before June 1st cause they can be had for $110.

May 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks - there's a lot of good info here!

To put some real context around it.  I found these headphones (the SPs) on my desk when I moved office and have never been able to find the owner!  With that in mind I've been using them for about 2.5 years so they are well run in.

I've just got a bonus from work so decided to buy a decent set of headphones (not knowing how decent the SPs are!) to use unamped via my iPod / office PC.  With that mind and your rating of the SPs I've just grabbed some HD FLAC files from a site and am amazed at what these SPs are capable of (I've been running MP3s ripped at 192KB) and am now doubtful if I should spend £150 on the M50s as these sound really great.  However you've now turned my eye to the HD25-1!  I'm sorely tempted to stick with the SPs and save the cash to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back