Name the best closed headphones you have owned and why?
Jan 2, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #31 of 49
An update of my post (#3) in this thread. Note: I still own these. Best closed-backed h/p: ZMF Verite Closed (Ziricote), ZMF Eikon (Cocobolo), ZMF Atticus (Bocote).

EDIT: The Eikon (Cocobolo) has edged out the Eikon (Camphor) due to ‘faster’ transients. I will keep Eikon (Camphor).

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #32 of 49
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm (modded)

As for why, they sound very resolving and detailed with beautiful mids and vocals. There is a correctness to their sound that is hard to explain.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #33 of 49
I'm also updating my post (#6) as I've recently picked up a Verite Closed (Monkeypod). I love this phone. What really appeals to me is it's excellent soundstage both in width and depth, imaging, dynamics, fun sound, and overall tonality. I used to mostly wear closed-backs when the situation called for it. Now I listen to the Verite Closed because I really enjoy it. It's just as good as my open-back phones to my ears. I really enjoy my Eikon and Atticus also, but the Verite Closed just does things a little better overall.

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 49
For me it is the Z1R. Incredibly comfortable, gobs of deep bass (hello 70mm drivers!), and terrific build quality. May not be the most technically accurate, but for my ears has a pleasant tuning and responds to EQ without complaint. Last year I sold my D9200 (poor comfort for me), my Verite Closed (channel imbalance) and my Stellia (Focal models don't play well with my head shape). I will also add that the Z1R has a very respectable soundstage for a closed can.
wondered how many responses in these would be. Listening to mine right now and couldn't agree more. Also like the th900 and th-x00 but dont use them nearly as much.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 49
Beyerdynamic DT150 250ohms

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #38 of 49
ZMF VC

Sounds like an open back, slams hard, timbre to die for , warm never harsh.
I like it better than many open cans that I have heard.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #39 of 49
Focal Stellia. Easy to drive (have used them even connected to my PS5 controller), detailed, fast, punchy and addictive sound. Comfortable to wear and perfect to use at home when I need a closed back.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #40 of 49
Z1R but solely for HT use. For music then Stellia but not heard VC yet.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #41 of 49
Focal Radiance is my favorite. Smooth warm sound without a hint of fatigue. Great looks, comfortable, good passive sound isolation, and also versatile, being able to be driven off a phone.

Loved how the D9200 sounded but couldn't deal with the poor fit. Though I consider it a semi-closed as it does leak a significant amount of sound.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 49
Overall: VC (Stellia the runner up but VC when properly powered is on another level).

On-ear: Probably Audeze Sine but still have a soft spot for the underrated Aedle VK-1

"Mid-fi": Elegia (AQ Nightowl runner-up)

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #43 of 49
<$500

Beyerdynamic DT 150

Immense soundstage and sense of scale. With stock pads, hard-hitting bass with superb extension, crisp highs, and transparent mids; incredibly immersive, fun, and engaging, whilst presenting strong technical chops. With DT 100 velour pads, near-linear frequency response, organic and analog tone, open and inviting mids, refined and articulate highs; think a more linear closed-back Sennheiser HD 6-series with an expansive soundstage and better extension at both ends of the spectrum. Also built like a tank. A rare 'unicorn' headphone.

Blows away the DT 1770 Pro, T5p G2, Shure SRH1540 to my mind, taking into account both technicalities and tonality.

(Bonus) E-MU Teak

As noted by Tyll Hertsens, the most masterfully tuned of the Fostex biocellulose headphones. A gentleman's basshead can. At once euphonic, refined, and fun, with a tone that possesses a certain je ne sais quois.

>$1,000

Fostex TH900 MK2 Lawton Level 1

The legendary basshead can. Slams like a sledgehammer. Vast soundstage. Blinding clarity. Incisive and incendiary. Pristine mids. The Lawton Level 1 mod mitigates some of its most notable flaws: strident treble, recessed lower-mids, and tames the bass some.

Owned

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X
Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Generation
Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany
Klipsch HP-3
Shure SRH1540
ZMF Ori Cherry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread