Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #241 of 695
I've only used the Atom with a thumb drive with no problems. Maybe check for firmware updates.

Also, from what I understand NAIM has great customer support.
Seems to happen every 2 or so months and a power down and on again seems to cure the problem. Could be like a cache build up that has to be cleared every now and then ?

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #242 of 695
Seems to happen every 2 or so months and a power down and on again seems to cure the problem. Could be like a cache build up that has to be cleared every now and then ?
I think it is worth reaching out to Naim. If it is a common or uncommon problem they can help more than a forum. Plus if you wait too long, it could get worse out of warranty.

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #243 of 695
I’ve had my Atom HE nearly a year now, since launch and i’ve noticed when i listen to a hard drive connected to it after few weeks it starts to now and then have an audio drop out. Today it got more frequent then it just froze with no audio just the album cover. Unplugging it and let stand for a few minutes seems bring it back to normal. Should i be concerned ?

I also have an early HE and what you are experiencing is not normal. It is rock solid, like perfection, in normal operation.
Perhaps make sure your control device and Naim app and firmware are right up to date (assuming you use same - my remote is just a dust magnet). Change and bug eradications are constant. Do a cold restart of everything in any way connected to your HE.
The Naim Forum typically follows the changes closely and has some semi-official Naim support. Many highly knowledgeable users there.
IMHO a SSD is preferred to a hard drive for hanging off the USB ports but all aspects of user experience are better if you have NAS and feed your HE with ethernet.
In sum, you should be concerned, but I would bet the solution will be simple and not involve a Naim hardware fault.

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #244 of 695
Dumb question as I am thinking about this. Is there anyway to update the menu on the front of the Atom? I know you can customize the app menu, but I’d love to have that edited in the unit’s screen. Take off Spotify, etc.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #245 of 695
I also have an early HE and what you are experiencing is not normal. It is rock solid, like perfection, in normal operation.
Perhaps make sure your control device and Naim app and firmware are right up to date (assuming you use same - my remote is just a dust magnet). Change and bug eradications are constant. Do a cold restart of everything in any way connected to your HE.
The Naim Forum typically follows the changes closely and has some semi-official Naim support. Many highly knowledgeable users there.
IMHO a SSD is preferred to a hard drive for hanging off the USB ports but all aspects of user experience are better if you have NAS and feed your HE with ethernet.
In sum, you should be concerned, but I would bet the solution will be simple and not involve a Naim hardware fault.
My primary listening is 99% using the sandisk SSD and i use it every day, so thinking about it there must be some sort of periodically build up of cache ? Sometimes my i-pad and PC need a re-start to make things run smoothly again, could this be similar ?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #246 of 695
If the Atom HE was fully balanced from its inputs thru to its outputs, then it would be worthwhile to use the balanced headphone output around the back of the unit. I don't believe it is though, so think of that output's existence as a mere convenience (if you can even call having to connect a headphone to the back of a component, a convenience), as opposed to a sonic advantage over the single ended output.

The only way to find out for sure, is to try them both out. But I sure wouldn't be spending good money to re-cable in order to use the "balanced" out in this particular instance.
When using the stock Focal Utopia 2020 cables on the Naim, the XLR cable delivers a noticeably fuller bass than the 1/4 inch cable does. Not sure if this is due to the cable, the output, or a combination of the two, but since I discovered this I only use the 1/4 inch cable for recordings that are too dark sounding for me, and the XLR for everything else. A Moon Audio Black Dragon cable for the 1/4 inch output proved to have a poor synergy for the mids on the Naim. Especially vocals seem to fall flat. (It worked a lot better on my Chord Mojo 2, though)

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #247 of 695
Hello Atom Lovers 😁

After 2 weeks with my Atom i just love this device. It sounds wonderful and the usability is outstanding.

I was just wondering if the Atom has different gain settings for the headphone output?

Thanks for your help
Best
Dominik

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #248 of 695
Hello Atom Lovers 😁

After 2 weeks with my Atom i just love this device. It sounds wonderful and the usability is outstanding.

I was just wondering if the Atom has different gain settings for the headphone output?

Thanks for your help
Best
Dominik
No true gain setting but using the audio settings to set maximum outputs (pre amp and headphone are separate), and input trims to deal with your sources, you can do almost anything you desire. Dig into the setting menus and experiment. Takes but a few minutes and with a little care you won't hurt anything. I use the Naim app for this. The remote might be tricky in comparison.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #249 of 695
So I’ve has my unit for almost a year and still love it. I finally took some advice on the Naim forum and upgraded the stock power cable. Picked up a Vovox excelus and have done a few back and forth comparisons with the stock. First thing I noticed was better bass slam and sub-bass. The vocals are smoother and soundstage is more clearly defined. It has less of change than replacing headphone cable with Danacable, which did wonders for clarity and midrange. The power capable has more to do with fuller sound and better energy. Just more immersive.

I’ve read the back and forth about how power cables should’t affect the sound but I’m hearing the differences. And Naim seems big on how power affects their other systems with option for additional power supply, so I can assume better power cable could have some affect too

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #250 of 695
Question to the round.. When connecting an USB drive to the rear USB port, is the Naim supposed to be able to display the artwork? If so, what format or filename should I use?

May 16, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #251 of 695
I haven’t tried that on my Uniti Atom HE (Roon user), but I have on my mom’s Uniti Star and it does display the artwork. These were hi-res downloads from HD Tracks, so whatever format they use.

May 17, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #252 of 695
Can someone explain in what way is Uniti Atom "high end"?

May 17, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #253 of 695
Question to the round.. When connecting an USB drive to the rear USB port, is the Naim supposed to be able to display the artwork? If so, what format or filename should I use?

If you go via the Naim app, Server, Local Storage it works... But in my case with a regular HDD that holds 3tb worth of audio files it takes forever.

May 17, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #254 of 695
"Uniti Atom Headphone Edition" is a much improved amp specifically for headphones and is much better than the "Uniti Atom".

I've had and still have a lot of Chords DACs with MScaler, HQPlayer, OpticalRendu with many different power supplies. The Atom HE competes with all of these and in most cases (to my ears / Meze Elite) betters them. You just need to add a good power cable and you're done. The sound quality is very good with HE and it has great 3d soundstage and clear precise layering. While the TT2 has the edge on detail (although I find the Atom HE does very well in this area) I think the HE sounds more musical and engaging than the TT2. I think the Atom HE's better amplification more than makes up for the DAC.

Away from sound quality, you have amazing functionality... so easy to flip from Airplay, Roon or any other input. Just press play on the device and it switches over automatically on the HE, no need to do anything on the amp.

I personally use ethernet as I have a close access point with good cables etc but I've tested WiFi and it also works flawlessly and no matter where it's placed, receives a strong 5ghz signal and the stats on my Uniti network say it maintains a 100% signal experience while a lot of other hardware fluctuates a lot. I can even place it in areas with a weak signal and it still doesn't drop from 100%. This tells me it's receiver is very good and I'd heard that the large cooling fins are used as aerials... this would make sense.

The remote, volume dial and looks are also top notch but it's not a perfect device. For that I'd want to see some digital outs so you could use it as a streamer into an alternative DAC. I'd like to see an OLED screen and possibly an option (like many Naim systems) the option for an external upgraded power supply.

But... as it stands, it's an amazing system that I can just unplug, pickup and carry to any seat in the house and in the space of a minute be listening to incredible music. How many systems at this level can do that with all the multiple boxes and cables?!?

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #255 of 695
Simply in that the originator of this thread considered it to be so?
There are other items in this forum category, among others, that are probably placed incorrectly in an almost random fashion. Makes visiting Head-Fi like hunting Easter eggs... Back to my Atom HE and Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back