Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Aug 7, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #271 of 695
Hello,
I recently reached out to Naim to have some specs i can’t find, it is Preamp output voltage.
Indeed at first i have been listening to Meze Elite directly from the Naim atom HE. This summer i had the chance to listen again to a great amp i i use to own, the Auris ha2 with Utopia and it was really nice.
Si i just got this amp back to my set-up, and yes the amplification is improved to my ears. There’s more transparency and impact.

But setting the volume at 100% with the Naim i got clipping with the headphone. The sweet spot is around 70% volume and the result is very good. Anyway, there’s a load the Tube amp can’t take, and i am interested to know how many volts come out from preamp…if someone has this information could you please share?

Meanwile they gave me an information about headphone power output i share here:
« The maximum single-ended power outputs are 89mW/600ohm (voltage limit), 1190mW/32ohm and 2225mW/8ohm (current limit) »
I would have thought the way to use the Naim as a preamp would be to set your headphone amp at a set volume and just the the Naim to control the volume.

I’m pretty satisfied would the build in headphone amp but I wouldn’t doubt you could improve things more with a nice tube amp.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #272 of 695
At first i wanted to skip the preamp of the Naim. Usually by setting the volume at 100%, you can get that. When i tried i got distortion with my headphone. Another option i tried is set the volume of the tube at 100% and control the volume on the Naim.
But the result was not optimal to my ears.
After some tests, setting the volume of the Naim around 70% is fine.
But you’re right, with this balance i can adjust the volume with the Naim using Roon, more convenient!
Note i didn’t say the amp on the Naim is bad quite the contrary. Adding a tube amp just gives you another flavor, depends what you need, a more relax distant sound or an impactful more forward presentation..

Aug 8, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #274 of 695
How does the the Naim HE perform as a dac/streamer only?
I plan on feeding the Naim HE to my Feliks Euforia. I will primarily be using it as in all in one but would like to know my options.
I use the Naim to feed an Auris ha2 amp, and it is very good at being a streamer/dac only.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #275 of 695
Based on your signature, it seems you've ordered an Uniti Atom HE? Curious to hear your opinions on the sound quality.
Had one, loved it all but………Did not do as good a job on mix of head phones. IMO it needed more power. If that was done I think this would be a STEAL with how good it is in comparison to stuff priced 4 or 5 times that

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #277 of 695
Sorry if this has been discussed already but has anyone tried Atom HE with Dan Clark headphones which have lower than 16ohm impedance? Naim recommends Atom HE to be used with headphones of 16ohm and upwards.

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #278 of 695
Sorry if this has been discussed already but has anyone tried Atom HE with Dan Clark headphones which have lower than 16ohm impedance? Naim recommends Atom HE to be used with headphones of 16ohm and upwards.
You might want to search the Naim HE thread on Naim’s forum. I believe I saw a few people mention they had the Stealth and it was excellent.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #279 of 695
I’ve not heard the Dan Clark but if you want closed back the Focal Stellia / Atom HE is a wonderful pairing! I tried them against the HD820S and the Stellia was (in my opinion) a hundred times more enjoyable

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #281 of 695
I’m also curious about how the Uniti Atom HE pairs with the Stealth, which I assume, would also translate to the new Expanse from Dan Clark.
I just did a quick search over at Naim forum and found this response.
———
DCA Stealth amazingly superb with Atom HE

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #282 of 695
I just did a quick search over at Naim forum and found this response.
———
DCA Stealth amazingly superb with Atom HE
I’m actually curious about the Expanse but worried it won’t have the bass slam of the Utopia. I like that they say it blocks out a lot of noise. That’s my biggest issue with open headphones. Don’t have as much worry as the noise leaking out since it just my family listening to their own stuff. I also heard Meze Elite works great with the Naim HE but not sure if it gives me anything over the Utopia. Possibly a sweeter sound.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #283 of 695
I’m actually curious about the Expanse but worried it won’t have the bass slam of the Utopia. I like that they say it blocks out a lot of noise. That’s my biggest issue with open headphones. Don’t have as much worry as the noise leaking out since it just my family listening to their own stuff. I also heard Meze Elite works great with the Naim HE but not sure if it gives me anything over the Utopia. Possibly a sweeter sound.
I haven't tried the Meze Elite ... but have a slight preference to the LCD-5 over the Utopia with the Naim HE. There is something softer about planar headphones that I enjoy. And the technical detail, soundstage is a smidge superior on the LCD-5 over the Utopia. Yes, the mids are a tad forward and I am using stock cables without EQ for now. You get used to it. I quite enjoy the LCD-5.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #284 of 695
I have the Elite with the Atom HE and it is a very good combination. Very natural sounding, great level of detail with superb bass. As in, tight bass with great control, texture and detail rather that just db volume.

Soundstage is very good, not so big to be unbelievable but very easy to pinpoint musicians and instruments. A sounds move seamlessly from side to side front to back. You never feel it’s a left / right etc. it reminds me of speakers really, they tend to disappear. Since buying them nearly a year ago now, I’ve never considered any other headphones… I might do at some point but just don’t feel the need.

The combination really benefits from spending a bit on the power cable side. I had a standard Furutech Rhodium setup and when I upgraded to the NFC variants it improved again in terms of texture, detail and stage. Downside is they take an age to burn in.

A good silver headphone cable between the Elites and the Atom HE also provides a very nice boost indeed.

At some point I may add a pair of closed backs but I have a feeling I’ll just miss that Meze Elite sound. One day!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #285 of 695
Well I went an ordered an Expanse. The Meze Elite does appealing to me but something about having a very technical headphone on a fun setup seems like it might be best of both worlds. I’m also hoping it blocks a little bit of room noise. If I like it more than the Utopia, I’ll put those up for sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back