NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #3,032 of 3,345
Thank you for your input!

Today I tried the HP50 again. The sound is still impressive. But, now that the first rush of excitement is gone, the clamping force on these is really strong and I am afraid that I could not keep them on for longer than say 30 minutes at a time. Will recheck tomorrow though...

The Meze 99 Classics look really nice and should sound great but portability is lackluster at best.

Last resorts: Momentum 2.0 or B&W P7 (wired) if I can still grab one...

What a difficult hobby! :wink:

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3,033 of 3,345

And expensive! Ha.

But I just noticed the HP-50s now retail for $180?! Dang that's a good value. I paid $300 for them around the first year they were released. Have had them since December 2013 and have used them heavily, still sound great and I somehow managed to keep them in great shape. Does anything even compete with the HP50s at that price point of $180?

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,034 of 3,345
Or even below that price. In Singapore they retail at a "special" price of ca US$150 (S$199) which is a 50% discount. The special offer has been on for many months now. Absolut steal at that price, got myself one in January.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #3,035 of 3,345
And expensive! Ha.

But I just noticed the HP-50s now retail for $180?! Dang that's a good value. I paid $300 for them around the first year they were released. Have had them since December 2013 and have used them heavily, still sound great and I somehow managed to keep them in great shape. Does anything even compete with the HP50s at that price point of $180?
I don't think so. It's still one of the best closed headphones I've heard to date for midfi. The only others that compete IMO that I've heard- the B&W P6 (7?), and Momentum 2.0.

May 13, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #3,036 of 3,345
I just picked up a pair from a local guy who wasn't using them anymore. They are VERY impressive. The balance across the spectrum is perfect. What surprises me even more is the comfort, and the sound isolation. Best purchase in this price range. PERIOD.

May 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #3,037 of 3,345
I just picked up a pair from a local guy who wasn't using them anymore. They are VERY impressive. The balance across the spectrum is perfect. What surprises me even more is the comfort, and the sound isolation. Best purchase in this price range. PERIOD.
Heeeey! Nice to see you back!

May 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,038 of 3,345

What are you driving them with? Are you using them straight out of a smartphone, DAP, or...?

May 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,039 of 3,345
What are you driving them with? Are you using them straight out of a smartphone, DAP, or...?
I tried them straight out of my smartphone, as well as with my laptop -> ZHILAI USB DAC. Smartphone output was "meh" but I could tell it had more to reveal. Out of the DAC was SO MUCH better. I can only imagine how much better they would get if they were plugged into a higher end amp with more juice.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #3,040 of 3,345
In this price range of closed backs, check out the Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads (the velour pads make them nicely balanced) or the Beyerdynamic DT 250 - 250 ohms (they sound very similar, with the DT 250 being slightly brighter)

Both very realistic and balanced sounding headphones, more so than the HP 50 or Focal Spirit Pro, which I both found to be a bit grainy/edgy with synthetic sounds.

May 13, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #3,041 of 3,345
I have a lightly used set posted in the classifieds if anyone here is interested. I'd keep them but I don't have as much time for headphone listening now, and I could use more closet space, lol! The NADs definitely have a pleasing sound for me, but the fit is so-so.

May 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,042 of 3,345
I have a lightly used set posted in the classifieds if anyone here is interested. I'd keep them but I don't have as much time for headphone listening now, and I could use more closet space, lol! The NADs definitely have a pleasing sound for me, but the fit is so-so.
I'd be really interested (i miss these that much) but I don't have the money right now.

May 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #3,043 of 3,345

I might pick up another pair. I miss them.

Yeah. I'm going to start looking for a deal. Anyone know of any?

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,044 of 3,345
I might pick up another pair. I miss them.

Yeah. I'm going to start looking for a deal. Anyone know of any?

Guy above might be still selling his.

May 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,045 of 3,345
Thank you for your input!

Today I tried the HP50 again. The sound is still impressive. But, now that the first rush of excitement is gone, the clamping force on these is really strong and I am afraid that I could not keep them on for longer than say 30 minutes at a time. Will recheck tomorrow though...

The Meze 99 Classics look really nice and should sound great but portability is lackluster at best.

Last resorts: Momentum 2.0 or B&W P7 (wired) if I can still grab one...

Another headphone talked about alongside those two is the Bang & Olufsen H6. The newer 2nd Gen only has five reviews on here but it’s average rating is 4.5 stars...really good headphone. Just worth considering. I believe they are being discontinued as B&O is moving more towards wireless, it’s considered the gem of their headphone lineup. Very portable and balanced sound. The bass is solid and of pretty good quantity but has a less amount than the others you listed so they give a neutral presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back