NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,016 of 3,345
Hi all,
so i had a case of bad luck and my right earcup broke off from the headband while i was taking them off.
hbqTjkJ.jpg

So these are essentially useless now. The cable wasnt damaged inside but right earcup is basically just hanging on that cable.

What would mighty Head-Fi suggest to do with these? I contacted NAD to see what are my options, but I would like to have a second opinion from users here.

Maybe someone has one the headband and it is not needed any more? or just the broken part?

So I ordered a complete headband for sony 7506 and will try to attach all this together with the broken HP50. NAD apparently does not have headband parts so I am being adventurous :) .

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #3,017 of 3,345
I still miss this headphone a lot even though I sold it due to comfort issues. I really hope NAD can make a second version with the comfort issues resolved.

Recently got into the world of speaker audio and I can say my JBL LSR305 remind me a LOT of this headphone.

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #3,018 of 3,345
I still miss this headphone a lot even though I sold it due to comfort issues. I really hope NAD can make a second version with the comfort issues resolved.

Recently got into the world of speaker audio and I can say my JBL LSR305 remind me a LOT of this headphone.

Same here, Whats going with the HP70? is has different design that should be more comfortable.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #3,021 of 3,345
it can be wired, im sure Tyll will have this and the PSB version reviewed soon.

Point is, I do not want the electronics to be in my headphones at all. I think it would add weight ...and cost... for something that I would not use. I have no interest in bluetooth at all.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3,022 of 3,345
Point is, I do not want the electronics to be in my headphones at all. I think it would add weight ...and cost... for something that I would not use. I have no interest in bluetooth at all.

I generally agree, though my big issue with bluetooth headphones is that the majority have a custom lithium-ion rechargeable battery in them that is unlikely to be user-servicable (and with the rate electronics drop off the market and new models come out these days, unlikely to be serviced by the maker either). Right now I have a Creative SoundBlaster E3 Headphone Amplifier with Bluetooth - it has support for headphones up to 600ohm, has an internal mic, can use the mic on headphone wires that have an integrated mic, has a second headphone jack to drive two headphones at once, has call control and media control buttons, can connect via USB to computers and phones and act as a DAC, and when the battery eventually dies, guess what? I still have all my wired headphones that will be working great and I can plug into the next great wireless adapter I get then. (There are lots of other portable Bluetooth adapters out there as well.)

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #3,024 of 3,345
Does anybody have some news about the release date of the HP 70? I really want to get a 2nd ANC headphone for an upcoming trip in March. (My girlfriend will use the Bose QC35.) I never had the chance to try the HP50, but according to the reviewers I trust, I would have risked a blind purchase if it weren't for the glossy finish and the weird headband - both seems to have been fixed on the HP70.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #3,025 of 3,345
I have the HP50 and if Paul Barton somehow manages to make it Bluetooth (even if no NC is added), improve a bit the comfort (not too much of a problem for me), all while keeping the same sound, NAD will have my money!

From the NAD website:

"The HP70 employs Tri-Mode operation that simply means the headphone can be operated in three different ways: Active with ANC, Active only or Passive mode. In environments where noise is audible, Active with ANC is recommended while some may choose Active without ANC where ambient noise is not an issue."

I think that if in passive mode is a tweaked HP50 we have a winner here since this mode is meant to be used like the HP50 and an amplifier is mentioned

I hope tyll reviews it soon!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,027 of 3,345
Hello all!

Currently, I am looking for a replacement for my IEM as they drive me crazy. They (RHA MA750i) are supposed to be rather comfy. But I tried all the tips that came with them through the last one and a half years and it just does not work. My right ear canal seems to be very peculiarly shaped.

I looked into many different portable closed-back headphones. This weekend I „auditioned“ the HP50s at a local reseller and was rather impressed. I could get them for a nice price (200 EUR).

Now, here I read about a design fault where plastic rubs plastic inside the earcup, producing a crackling noise. A broken headband has been shown as well.

My question is; are these exceptions or rather the rule? Could owners please shortly state their experiences?

If the problems are common; what are similar cans? My budget would be 400 EUR tops. 200 to 300 EUR would be much better. The MSR7 from Audiotechnica rub me the wrong way (maybe too bright). The Momentum 2 from Sennheiser sound too congested and bassy. Same for the M50x from Audiotechnica. I read about the Meze 99 here. The B&W P7 look good but might sound more like the Momentums.

Some input would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #3,028 of 3,345
Hi, I have the HP50 and no problems at all. I do find the headband a bit small, but I have a big head

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #3,030 of 3,345
Now, here I read about a design fault where plastic rubs plastic inside the earcup, producing a crackling noise. A broken headband has been shown as well.

The sound of the plastc creaking really annoyed me so I fixed it. It does involve opening the cups. My posts are somewhere in this thread along with links to photos and carefully detailed instructions from another headfier who figured it all out.

If the connection in the headband breaks due to agressive stretching, you can use a dual entry cable as there are jacks in both cups. I have struggled with too tight clamping force and have had to carefully stretch the band.

They do sound great but I have a love/hate relationship with them because of my struggles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back