NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 28, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #2,131 of 3,345
  I asked this question in the Oppo thread, but in the spirit of neutrality, I'll ask here as well.

Between Oppo PM-3 and NAD VISO HP50, which has the better tonality, bass response (tight and impactful), comfort, and lack of sound leakage?

I have tried both. They are like apples and oranges in a way. The Oppo is more holographic sounding and has more impactful bass although its tightness is about the same. HP50 is more neutral and midrange is a bit more forward with more linear highs. Oppo's highs are more airy. Oppo is more comfy for sure but I can't say anything about sound leakage because when I tried them, I didn't really pay attention to that.
hth

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #2,132 of 3,345
  I have tried both. They are like apples and oranges in a way. The Oppo is more holographic sounding and has more impactful bass although its tightness is about the same. HP50 is more neutral and midrange is a bit more forward with more linear highs. Oppo's highs are more airy. Oppo is more comfy for sure but I can't say anything about sound leakage because when I tried them, I didn't really pay attention to that.
hth

Wow, the PM-3 has more bass? I had been reading they are fairly neutral, so I assumed the amount of bass would be far lower (seeing the +10 dB bass curve of the NAD at http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph).

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2,133 of 3,345

Wow, the PM-3 has more bass? I had been reading they are fairly neutral, so I assumed the amount of bass would be far lower (seeing the +10 dB bass curve of the NAD at http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph).

Yes, they certainly are more punchy (given the right amplification) especially in the mid-range version. The presentation of the bass itself in the NADs are more linear and 3D but ultimately, they are not really in your face or fun (relatively) compared to other headphones. This does help the NADs deal with all types of music since bass blends in with other frequencies better this way (due to roomfeel probably).

graphs: they can be deceptive.

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,134 of 3,345
Yes, they certainly are more punchy (given the right amplification) especially in the mid-range version. The presentation of the bass itself in the NADs are more linear and 3D but ultimately, they are not really in your face or fun (relatively) compared to other headphones. This does help the NADs deal with all types of music since bass blends in with other frequencies better this way (due to roomfeel probably).

graphs: they can be deceptive.

No they're not deceptive. The NAD just don't emphasize the mid-bass relative to the mids and sub-bass, while the PM-3 emphasize the mid-bass relative to its sub-bass; another way of putting it is the PM-3 lacks sub-bass. The sub-bass ain't impact, it's rumble.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,136 of 3,345
Have you signed up for the PM-3 loaner program? It would at least give you the chance to listen to the Oppo headphone 
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,137 of 3,345
No they're not deceptive. The NAD just don't emphasize the mid-bass relative to the mids and sub-bass, while the PM-3 emphasize the mid-bass relative to its sub-bass; another way of putting it is the PM-3 lacks sub-bass. The sub-bass ain't impact, it's rumble.

I think you slightly misunderstood my badly worded sentence. I'm trying to say what you have said but what I meant is that graphs aren't too easy to really understand when you don't have much experience looking at graphs (which I really enjoy doing).

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #2,138 of 3,345
Back to square one then! It's hard to decide between HP50, PM-3, and Shure 1540 for a good closed "bass impact" can!

For bass "impact" go for the PM-3 imo. HP50's got really good sub-bass but mid-bass's impact is not the strongest.
I would not consider Shure 1540's either because they don't fit my head hehe. I've listened to them before as well but they're not as airy as the Oppos.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2,141 of 3,345
Jun 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #2,142 of 3,345
For bass "impact" go for the PM-3 imo. HP50's got really good sub-bass but mid-bass's impact is not the strongest.
I would not consider Shure 1540's either because they don't fit my head hehe. I've listened to them before as well but they're not as airy as the Oppos.

Interesting. Isn't sub-bass + mid-bass better than mid-bass alone? I've not listened to either headphones though! I've had the Senn HD-600, Beyer T1, Ultrasone Sig Pro.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,145 of 3,345
I think you slightly misunderstood my badly worded sentence. I'm trying to say what you have said but what I meant is that graphs aren't too easy to really understand when you don't have much experience looking at graphs (which I really enjoy doing).

All I'm saying is the HP-50 doesn't lack anything on the mid-bass. It's very accurate in there. I've compared its sub-bass to mid-bass to upper bass to speakers and I find it to be very accurate. I'm saying its just that it doesn't emphasize mid-bass nor lack sub-bass. So if the recording has sub-bass, it wouldn't sound like an impactful mid-bass, it would sould like a more rumbling or enveloping kind of sub-bass, which is what it should be.

Again, haven't heard the PM-3, but I haven't heard a HP that is inconsistent with its FR graph. Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back