NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,101 of 3,345
Very cool. I love my HP50s, but they hurt my ears after an hour or so and I have to take breaks. Can you detail a tiny bit how you did this? Is the shock cord just kind of a spacer that makes the pads stick out further? Any good details are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

The shock cord (bungee cord) is available at Mountain Equipment Coop (my local outdoors supplier).

I cut two 8" (205mm) lengths. Make a circle, and tuck it under the pads.

I used some shrink wrap tubing to hold the ends together, but that is not essential.

Any 1/4" cable will do, but the shock cord has a nice soft feel.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #2,102 of 3,345
My HP50's are starting to clamp very hard that it hurts my head, even after several mins.  This did not occur before, and I know after long use, the clamp shouldve eased up.  Then I realized something... I am getting fat :S  Seems my head size got larger that the HP50's are starting to hurt me.  I am getting a lot of weight coz I had too many heavy dining out.  Now I realize why big heads cant stand these, ugh they hurt bad now.

This is the trigger for me to really lose weight.  No way will I sell these to get larger fitting cans, their sound has grown so much on me.  I cannot afford to be obese, being hypertensive and close to diabetic, and I wanna have my NADs fit my head again!  

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,103 of 3,345
  My HP50's are starting to clamp very hard that it hurts my head, even after several mins.  This did not occur before, and I know after long use, the clamp shouldve eased up.  Then I realized something... I am getting fat :S  Seems my head size got larger that the HP50's are starting to hurt me.  I am getting a lot of weight coz I had too many heavy dining out.  Now I realize why big heads cant stand these, ugh they hurt bad now.

This is the trigger for me to really lose weight.  No way will I sell these to get larger fitting cans, their sound has grown so much on me.  I cannot afford to be obese, being hypertensive and close to diabetic, and I wanna have my NADs fit my head again!  

This is what NAD meant when they put the words "We don't care about your lifestyle. We care about your ears." on their box haha.
Hope you get back to enjoying HP50's back in no time! :)

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,105 of 3,345
The shock cord (bungee cord) is available at Mountain Equipment Coop (my local outdoors supplier).

I cut two 8" (205mm) lengths. Make a circle, and tuck it under the pads.

So the idea is to make the pads stand up higher off of the body of the headphone? Did you have any trouble getting the thin lip of the pads to tuck back into the plastic housing when you were done?

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,106 of 3,345
@bgently

"So the idea is to make the pads stand up higher off of the body of the headphone?"

Yes

"Did you have any trouble getting the thin lip of the pads to tuck back into the plastic housing when you were done?"

No.  The 1/4" shock-cord tucks in with no effort

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,107 of 3,345
  This is what NAD meant when they put the words "We don't care about your lifestyle. We care about your ears." on their box haha.
Hope you get back to enjoying HP50's back in no time! :)

Well. I guess they dont care with lavish eating lifestyles either.  Sliding the cans further down helps ease the clamping though, yet, these make a surprising motivation to lose weight.  

Question though, how do you clean and take care of the pleather earpads?  Hoping to make these last and not crack on me

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,108 of 3,345
  Well. I guess they dont care with lavish eating lifestyles either.  Sliding the cans further down helps ease the clamping though, yet, these make a surprising motivation to lose weight.  

Question though, how do you clean and take care of the pleather earpads?  Hoping to make these last and not crack on me

To be honest I have no idea.
I would search google "take care of plastic leather" or something.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #2,109 of 3,345
Hello All.

I decided to sign up here after reading through this thread. I got these cans as a present, and I spent weeks at the different audio shops in town looking for my first pair of proper headphones. It's basically this and a bunch of Apple earpods for me; I was always too nervous to invest the money/care in anything more sophisticated. :)

My question: has anyone else found the cables out of the box to be really lacking? I have to keep jiggling the input into the phones--particularly with the cable with the mic--just to get stereo.

Is this normal behaviour, or did I just get lemon cords with my headphones?

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,110 of 3,345
Hello All.

I decided to sign up here after reading through this thread. I got these cans as a present, and I spent weeks at the different audio shops in town looking for my first pair of proper headphones. It's basically this and a bunch of Apple earpods for me; I was always too nervous to invest the money/care in anything more sophisticated.
smily_headphones1.gif

My question: has anyone else found the cables out of the box to be really lacking? I have to keep jiggling the input into the phones--particularly with the cable with the mic--just to get stereo.

You sure you're pushing the cable fully into the earcup? When i got my oppo pm-3's i thought they were faulty but it turns out i didnt have the cable in fully, the socket was very tight. Also do you have the same issue on both earcups or just one?

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,111 of 3,345
Hello All.

I decided to sign up here after reading through this thread. I got these cans as a present, and I spent weeks at the different audio shops in town looking for my first pair of proper headphones. It's basically this and a bunch of Apple earpods for me; I was always too nervous to invest the money/care in anything more sophisticated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes they are quite cheap, but this is not normal. You can try other 1/8 cables and see, they can be picked up off amazon for $5. Also, as Chailee mentioned, make sure you are pushing it in all the way, that can be a problem with some of these cans, though I haven't had it personally with the NADs, I did with my UE6000s.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,112 of 3,345
I'm trying to get a double entry (both earcups have cable entries) custom cable from Forza Audioworks because the cables inside my headphones disconnected because of my big head (it happens overtime slowly). One thing is stopping me from getting the cable and that is I do not know what headphone jack to order. I'm talking about the cable plugs that go into each headphone earcups so two in total. The cable that NAD supplies (only one side, not double entry) has a TRRS (3 tips) plug for the plug that goes into the earcups. I'm not sure if I should order TRRS like the cable that NAD supplies or if TRS (2 tips) works fine for the NADs (as for the plug that goes into the headphone, not the amp). The plug that goes into your ipod/audio player is TRS (2 tips) for the cable that NAD supplies so I'll get TRS (2 tips) for that end but I'm not sure about the plugs that go into the headphone cups. I appreciate the help.
I know I have been repetitive but please understand.
Thank you.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,114 of 3,345
I'm trying to get a double entry (both earcups have cable entries) custom cable from Forza Audioworks because the cables inside my headphones disconnected because of my big head (it happens overtime slowly). One thing is stopping me from getting the cable and that is I do not know what headphone jack to order. I'm talking about the cable plugs that go into each headphone earcups so two in total. The cable that NAD supplies (only one side, not double entry) has a TRRS (3 tips) plug for the plug that goes into the earcups. I'm not sure if I should order TRRS like the cable that NAD supplies or if TRS (2 tips) works fine for the NADs (as for the plug that goes into the headphone, not the amp). The plug that goes into your ipod/audio player is TRS (2 tips) for the cable that NAD supplies so I'll get TRS (2 tips) for that end but I'm not sure about the plugs that go into the headphone cups. I appreciate the help.
Thank you.

A TRS cable works just fine. I bought several after market cables that are TRS cables and have no problems. You would need to have the two plugs wired properly for the side you plug them into.
If they have followed standard wiring for an audio TRS, the tip and sleeve (closest to the connector body) would be for the left side and the first ring and sleeve would be for the right side.
The plug that goes into your source would be, tip Left plus, first ring right plus, sleeve, common ground.

http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/Tele35s_pinout.shtml

So Three TRS 3.5 mm (1/8) plugs wired properly will do what you want.

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,115 of 3,345
Thank you.

A regular 3.5mm cable works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back