NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 17, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,086 of 3,345
  Okay. To be honest, you should try to find a place where you can demo both of these but no, the mids are less harsh then Spirit Pros to my ears (might be because I'm using the Chord Hugo so like I have said, try to listen yourself). One major difference between the Focal and the NAD is that the NAD has more spacious sound that is more resolving and a bit more lively treble (but neither are too lively).
Anyway, yes I do have to agree that the Focal's highs are even a bit dark compared to headphones with lively highs. If you're not used to neutral headphones, this may seem a bit too "monitor" like.

The momentum 2, phillips X2, and the PSB M4U1 are all not as good as the NADs for sure. Between the Yamaha and the NAD, I would take the NAD. Overall, the NAD is more neutral and less "glaring" like you said. In the end, if you have to use it straight out of a computer, the NADs are a good choice imo. Focals are just about as easy to drive but it's not as good out of lower quality sources than the NADs are.
In the end, I don't think the NADs will be bad for you but I think you should attempt to find a place to try them out before buying. That is the only way to make sure that it suits your taste.

Have you heard all those headphones, like the Momentum 2, Philips X2, PSB M4U1 and Yamaha MT 220? And did you also hear all of them without a dedicated amp/DAC?

I will try to go to my local headphone store this weekend, hoping if they have the NAD Viso HP50 but I doubt it. But that certainly doesn't mean they can be there though.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,087 of 3,345
   (ofc not as much as HD800s but then HD800s are not smooth at all). hth.

I don't think that the HD800s, properly driven, are not smooth, quite the opposite.The NADs while sounding quite good, have a much more relaxed approach, but that comes at the expense of the detail and fast transient decay that you find on better headphones. If you listen to the HD800s with a well recorded piece of music on a decent rig, you will instantly understand what I am talking about. 

My maximum budget is $225. Do you know a headphone in that price range that is very clear and natural, but also forgiving with decent recordings as well?

If you can get the NADs at that price go for it. They will fit your requirements perfectly!

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,090 of 3,345
  Have you heard all those headphones, like the Momentum 2, Philips X2, PSB M4U1 and Yamaha MT 220? And did you also hear all of them without a dedicated amp/DAC?

I will try to go to my local headphone store this weekend, hoping if they have the NAD Viso HP50 but I doubt it. But that certainly doesn't mean they can be there though.

I have heard all of those except for the momentum 2 but I do not expect much looking at the latest reviews and I hated the last version.
I do all my demo with my DAP or with my Hugo.

Hope you get to listen to the HP50. I bet you'll like it.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,091 of 3,345
  Is ''ListenUp'' a reliable dealer on Amazon?

These guys are excellent. I bought my HP50s from them as open box. They were in perfect condition in every way, basically brand new, and you still get the warranty. Don't hesitate to get this deal!

My opinion on these vs the Focal and CAL is that the HP50s are better than both, by a pretty good margin. They beat the Focals on build, because you WILL be replacing your Spirit Pros in a year because of a poor design of the spot where the clamping pressure is focused. They crack and can no longer clamp sufficiently. 

Similarly, the CALs are cheaply built. Though the HP50s are not the beefiest design, I haven't heard of very many problems with defects from poor build quality. They will last longer than the other two if well taken care of.

Also, they are just outstanding sounding cans. I thought they were better than the Spirit Pros, thought I only spent a few minutes with them. They are better than the CALs in every way. Just my opinion.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,092 of 3,345
The NAD HP50 and Yamaha MT 220 are the headphones I can afford that seem to be a great deal. But ofcourse don't know how they'll sound unamplified and without a DAC.

I use my HP50s every day straight out of my iPad. I am happy with the sound quality from Tidal HiFi, and Netflix. Never have to crank up the volume beyond 75%.

I had to bolster up the ear pads for comfort however. See

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton/2070#post_11672165

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,093 of 3,345

The NAD HP50 and Yamaha MT 220 are the headphones I can afford that seem to be a great deal. But ofcourse don't know how they'll sound unamplified and without a DAC.

I use my HP50s every day straight out of my iPad. I am happy with the sound quality from Tidal HiFi, and Netflix. Never have to crank up the volume beyond 75%.

I had to bolster up the ear pads for comfort however. See

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton/2070#post_11672165

Yeah, I did the same thing with an old worn out ethernet cable. It definitely helps.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #2,094 of 3,345

SIMPLE MOD TO IMPROVE COMFORT:

I inserted a ring of 5mm shock-cord to bolster up the ear pads.  Now my big ears are more comfy.

No significant change in SQ

Very cool. I love my HP50s, but they hurt my ears after an hour or so and I have to take breaks. Can you detail a tiny bit how you did this? Is the shock cord just kind of a spacer that makes the pads stick out further? Any good details are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,095 of 3,345
I agree with you that the CALs highs are more prominent than the Spirit Pros. However, even though they're quite a bit brighter, they're just as smooth in the highs as the Spirit Pros, but a lot smoother in the uppermids. I believe this is because the quality of the highs/uppermids is a lot better than that of the Spirit Pros.

And btw, the Focals highs are indeed smooth, and even a bit dark imo. It's the uppermids, especially with clap like instruments (which there is a lot of in rap/hiphop music, the genre I listen to the most) that's glaring.

So the NADs are even harsher than the Spirit Pros to your ears?

The HD650 is out of my price range, because I can't afford to buy both the HD650's and a amp/DAC with them.

My maximum budget is $225. Do you know a headphone in that price range that is very clear and natural, but also forgiving with decent recordings as well?

I can get the NADs second hand on Amazon for $200, that's why I asked my question here. The Momentum 2, Philips X2, PSB M4U1 (didn't look much into those, because they're said to have a bit sibilant highs) were also on my radar, but those are too expensive for me as well.

@dakanao, my 2 cents is don't discount the PSB M4U1 based on some comments that they're quite sibilant or stringent. I don't know if they've improved/tweaked M4U1 without any announcements, but I find them to be actually better than the HP50 now and the FR graph not reflective of its sound at all. If I'm to guess, the FR of my M4U1 now is pretty much like the HP50.

I still have 2 pairs of HP50s (gave them to my kids) and I don't find any reason to set aside the M4U1 for the HP50 at all, including the supposed stringency of the M4U1. And note the M4U1 is much more comfortable IF you have a bigger head or top of your head is higher/farther from your ears.

The M4U1 is more articulate on the bass department, and more punchy/impactful; but the HP50 has more of that "enveloping" bass, less impactful and defined, sorta like more "generic" if compared to M4U1.

HP50 is clearer or cleaner in the mids and treble though, this time the M4U1's treble is the one bit more "generic". Maybe this is the reason some people find the treble stringent, or edgy ecause they're a bit "scattered", or less clean or more dirty. But they're not emphasized nor peaky at all.

But since the PSB and NAD are brothers, I could hear their SQ and sound signatures to be very close. So I suggest you really hear them if possible. The PSB's bass quantity and articulation, definition, impact, are better than the HP50, and, dare I say, even better than the LCD-2.2.

So don't mind the "sibilant" and "stringent" comments on the M4U1 is my suggestion. Good luck.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,096 of 3,345
@dakanao, my 2 cents is don't discount the PSB M4U1 based on some comments that they're quite sibilant or stringent. I don't know if they've improved/tweaked M4U1 without any announcements, but I find them to be actually better than the HP50 now and the FR graph not reflective of its sound at all. If I'm to guess, the FR of my M4U1 now is pretty much like the HP50.

I still have 2 pairs of HP50s (gave them to my kids) and I don't find any reason to set aside the M4U1 for the HP50 at all, including the supposed stringency of the M4U1. And note the M4U1 is much more comfortable IF you have a bigger head or top of your head is higher/farther from your ears.

The M4U1 is more articulate on the bass department, and more punchy/impactful; but the HP50 has more of that "enveloping" bass, less impactful and defined, sorta like more "generic" if compared to M4U1.

HP50 is clearer or cleaner in the mids and treble though, this time the M4U1's treble is the one bit more "generic". Maybe this is the reason some people find the treble stringent, or edgy ecause they're a bit "scattered", or less clean or more dirty. But they're not emphasized nor peaky at all.

But since the PSB and NAD are brothers, I could hear their SQ and sound signatures to be very close. So I suggest you really hear them if possible. The PSB's bass quantity and articulation, definition, impact, are better than the HP50, and, dare I say, even better than the LCD-2.2.

So don't mind the "sibilant" and "stringent" comments on the M4U1 is my suggestion. Good luck.

The M4U1 are out of my price range... The HP50s are a lot cheaper second hand on amazon

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,097 of 3,345
Is ''ListenUp'' a reliable dealer on Amazon?

I have been dealing with them here in Denver for at least 15 years. They are a solid company with good customer service... of course I generally just walk into their store...

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #2,098 of 3,345
The M4U1 are out of my price range... The HP50s are a lot cheaper second hand on amazon

I remember someone posting here who got it brand new for a real bargain, $150 IIRC. But yeah, hard to find someone selling a M4U1.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,100 of 3,345
I prefer my mids and treble over the bass..

Yes. The HP50 is better on those departments IMHO. But the difference is very small, but to me noticeable still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back