NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
May 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,056 of 3,345
3.5mm.

May 31, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,057 of 3,345
Wait a sec here... I was about to order these but I think (from what I've seen on Amazon.com) the plugs that plug into the headphone are 2.5mm not 3.5mm. The cable plug that plugs into the HP50 is 3.5mm not 2.5mm right?

Yeh the hp50 uses a 3.5mm socket, I was sure that sol Republic uses the same size as well, I'll have to double check it.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,058 of 3,345

Bear with me, English is not my first language, but I'll give an explanation a stab...

Here is an illustration representing the original state.   Metal headband (orange), ear cup arms (purple), and wire (green) are all aligned in a squary arc.  Notice the clips (light blue) that anchor the arms to the headband.

... here's a pic of the parts.  Notice the small metal tubes (pointed by yellow arrow),... the wire connecting the left cup to the right passes through those metal tubes.

Now, when you bend the headband, this is the tendency...

.... the earcup arms (purple) and the headband (orange) would separate (at the encircled points) because the arms are non-pliable plastic and the metal tubes are rigid; the tiny clip (light blue) will get unhooked from the headband or worse, it could break.  

The wire has enough slack to tolerate a little bend on the headband top, but it will reach a snapping point if you bend the headband too much.  Even if the wire does not snap, if it becomes too snug you cannot pull the ear cups down anymore (like this, see pic below), because there will be no more remaining slack.  Force it and the wire snaps.

Now, let's go back to the break point (encircled) ...

While you are bending the headband, it will keep springing back to original form because the metal tubes are rigid, and the leather wrapped around the headband will have an ugly bulge.  The ear cup arms (purple) will create a bulge in the leather under the headband.  If the clip (light blue) gets unhooked from the headband, good luck hooking it back, because you can't see it as it is inside the leather.  If it breaks, creak galore!

Bottom line?  Leave it the "f" alone  :)  if you are not ready to replace the headband altogether.

Hope this helps.

Sadly, this is exactly what happened to me and now I'm trying to look for double-entry cables as a solution instead of fixing the HP50. I'm thinking of getting a custom cable from Forza-Audioworks atm.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,059 of 3,345
There is yet any news to come about the upcoming TOTL headphone from PSB designed by Paul Barton yet but there is other news.
That is, M4U4 is coming out! It's a in-ear, not a headphone, to my disappointment (but headphones will come out later).
Still, it's really cool stuff because it's still got the Roomfeel and Paul Barton is probably still using his research regarding the target response curve. Also, it's a hybrid in-ear! I did not expect this at all. It's got one dynamic driver and 2 BA drivers and will be priced at $300.
I'm not a universal in-ear fan but I still am excited! :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,060 of 3,345
  Sadly, this is exactly what happened to me and now I'm trying to look for double-entry cables as a solution instead of fixing the HP50. I'm thinking of getting a custom cable from Forza-Audioworks atm.

Yeh it looks like i was mistaken and the sol republic cable terminates in 2.5mm unfortunately :frowning2:
You could always get a simple stereo splitter cable and connect a couple of 3.5mm cables to it, might not look the best but should be fairly cheap.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,061 of 3,345

Yeh it looks like i was mistaken and the sol republic cable terminates in 2.5mm unfortunately :frowning2:
You could always get a simple stereo splitter cable and connect a couple of 3.5mm cables to it, might not look the best but should be fairly cheap.

Everything's fine because I'm getting a custom cable from Forza-Audioworks :).
Thanks for the idea regarding the double entry cable. Hope everything works out. Cheers.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #2,062 of 3,345
  There is yet any news to come about the upcoming TOTL headphone from PSB designed by Paul Barton yet but there is other news.
That is, M4U4 is coming out! It's a in-ear, not a headphone, to my disappointment (but headphones will come out later).
Still, it's really cool stuff because it's still got the Roomfeel and Paul Barton is probably still using his research regarding the target response curve. Also, it's a hybrid in-ear! I did not expect this at all. It's got one dynamic driver and 2 BA drivers and will be priced at $300.

Lets hope its better than the hp20, while it wasn't bad it definitely wasn't as good as the hp50.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,063 of 3,345

Is it out already? Read somewhere it will be released June 2015.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,065 of 3,345
if someone doesnt mind, cld you measure & post the earcup dimensions (height, width, and depth) of the nad hp50 onto this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones/0_20

there was someone asking abt comfort comparisons of this headphone. i think it wld be helpful to consolidate that info here. if you guys have any other headphones wld greatly appreciate inner dimension measurements! :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,066 of 3,345
Jun 6, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,067 of 3,345
I think there's a reason why the cups are that small, compared to let's say an Audeze. First, it increases probability of a perfect seal. Second, it minimizes effects of acoustical resonances. Third, it removes the variable of driver distance/positioning relative to your ears, especially the ears' flaps (auricle). So with these, you've got a more consistent sound and that which the designer intended.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #2,068 of 3,345
I think there's a reason why the cups are that small, compared to let's say an Audeze. First, it increases probability of a perfect seal. Second, it minimizes effects of acoustical resonances. Third, it removes the variable of driver distance/positioning relative to your ears, especially the ears' flaps (auricle). So with these, you've got a more consistent sound and that which the designer intended.

4th, you sell them because ultimately the cups are too small even for average ears. 5th, the build quality is a little suss. I regrettably just sold mine. Loved the laid back sound especially after a spliff but they had to go. Had these headphones say the look and build quality of the Momentum's with the larger cups and same sound signature, well, that's another story.

Took a risk and ordered the ATH-M50X's to replace them.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #2,069 of 3,345
4th, you sell them because ultimately the cups are too small even for average ears. 5th, the build quality is a little suss. I regrettably just sold mine. Loved the laid back sound especially after a spliff but they had to go. Had these headphones say the look and build qiuality of the Momentum's with the larger cups and same sound signature, well, that's another story.

I have ears on the larger side. My ears fits perfectly. It's just a getting used to issue, I came from Audeze and it's really feels small. But you realize your ears actually fits perfectly.

What doesn't fit on me is the shape and size of the headband, too small for me. Cups aren't down enough, so I have to pull them down. And it hurts on top of your head for a few minutes with that.

Can't wait for their upgrade.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,070 of 3,345
  4th, you sell them because ultimately the cups are too small even for average ears. 5th, the build quality is a little suss. I regrettably just sold mine. Loved the laid back sound especially after a spliff but they had to go. Had these headphones say the look and build qiuality of the Momentum's with the larger cups and same sound signature, well, that's another story.

I found the m50x wasn't as laid back sounding as the hp50, it can be a little bloated down low and sharp up high at times although for the price they are quite good and much more comfortable. I was quite impressed with the m70x actually, a bit more neutral than the hp50 i think but a comparable sound, unfortunately they're a bit on the expensive side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back