NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Aug 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,336 of 3,345

I don't even have a large head and I've found headband design to be one of the biggest failings with a lot of otherwise extremely good headphones. It's like most companies are allergic to anything more than paper thin foam padding or headbands with reasonably sized contact areas.

The headband design is poor and puts a lot of pressure on a small portion of the head which makes them uncomfortable quite quickly. Hopefully, they have taken the feedback to improve the design.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,337 of 3,345

I have no issues with overall comfort when used up to 4 hours. The comfort thing is very personal. It is based on head shape and size, of course. It is also based on expectations and sensitivity to pressure. These all vary extremely widely  (if not infinitely) among users! I would think that all manufacturers do extensive testing across a sampling of people for the comfort parameters based on a given design. They then decide on the cost to implement various methods, and make a decision based on the price point they aim for as to what is practical. Sure, less is more when looking at profits, but they all surely want to put something on the market that will make the most people happy. Of course, there is no "one size fits all" solution that will make everyone happy!

The only thing that bothers me at all when wearing these is the "Sweat Factor". I make sure ambient temps are relatively low before wearing them for long periods.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,338 of 3,345

I have no issues with overall comfort when used up to 4 hours. The comfort thing is very personal. It is based on head shape and size, of course. It is also based on expectations and sensitivity to pressure. These all vary extremely widely  (if not infinitely) among users! I would think that all manufacturers do extensive testing across a sampling of people for the comfort parameters based on a given design. They then decide on the cost to implement various methods, and make a decision based on the price point they aim for as to what is practical. Sure, less is more when looking at profits, but they all surely want to put something on the market that will make the most people happy. Of course, there is no "one size fits all" solution that will make everyone happy!

The only thing that bothers me at all when wearing these is the "Sweat Factor". I make sure ambient temps are relatively low before wearing them for long periods.

Parrot Zik hugs the entire head yet these are a balancing act on the crown. They need a tiny revision just to remove this ergonomics problem for a %-age of users.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,339 of 3,345

Temperature is why I sold mine. I had bought them for use on the bus, but they are just too hot! Shame, such a nice sounding headphone. My XS should arrive this week so hopefully the heat issue will be taken care of.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,340 of 3,345

Temperature is why I sold mine. I had bought them for use on the bus, but they are just too hot! Shame, such a nice sounding headphone. My XS should arrive this week so hopefully the heat issue will be taken care of.

You could have suede-topped the ear contact point of the earpads. I've done that on all my headphones

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,341 of 3,345
Can anuone confirm the differece in sound between the stadard cable (with remote) and with the spare cable?

The reason I'm asking is that was forced to use the spare cable (the main has been broken by my daughter :/ ) and the sound seem to change quite a bit - it became louder and moved to the brighter side of the spectrum.

So I'm curious if anyone had the same experience as I did.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,342 of 3,345
What sonic changes or improvements would I expect with the HP50, coming from RE-400?

The RE-400 is well-regarded among IEMS and I'm loving every bit of it. With the HP50 costing at least 2.5x that of the RE-400, I'm expecting at least a noticeable, not subtle, improvement.

Am I in for a disappointment?

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,343 of 3,345

You could have suede-topped the ear contact point of the earpads. I've done that on all my headphones

Maybe you are more heat tolerant than I am (not sure what part of Asia you live in). The heat was too much and even if I had a different contact material I would still think the heat would not change unless I am missing something. Anyway, my NADs are now being very well appreciated by their new owner who got a great deal as I also purchased some 10' replacement cables for the stupidly short excuses NAD sends with the HP 50. I mean NAD, WTH?

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,344 of 3,345

Maybe you are more heat tolerant than I am (not sure what part of Asia you live in). The heat was too much and even if I had a different contact material I would still think the heat would not change unless I am missing something. Anyway, my NADs are now being very well appreciated by their new owner who got a great deal as I also purchased some 10' replacement cables for the stupidly short excuses NAD sends with the HP 50. I mean NAD, WTH?

No, I think suede rocks for the humidity here...anything else just beads to sweat in 5 minutes....also not too sure they are using real leather on the HP-50's so pleather will not be same even as leather...just grab a square of suede off of ebay, and find an alteration tailor or leather-smith. It is the first mod I do on new cans...hybrid pad.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,345 of 3,345
The frequency response graph on HP50 looks very much like my favorite GR07BE, that's why I'm very curious about the sound of HP50.
Can someone compare them to Fidelio L2. Most comments are that L2 is slightly better, but I wonder what you guys think if heard them both.
Thanks

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,346 of 3,345
I'm not sure if this has been covered in the thread somewhere. I have a pair of HP50s and the cable with the Apple control only produces sound out of one ear. The other cable works just fine and it's what I have been using all this time. Is the cable defective or do I really have to jam it in there? I've tried a few times and it seems like it is secure. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,349 of 3,345
  Thanks that's what I figured. Strangely, it always produces sound out of only the right cup, regardless of which ear the cable is plugged into. 

Sounds like some solder that attaches to the jack for the left channel is missing and the connection isn't made.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,350 of 3,345
Do you think there could be something wrong with the headphones? They sound good with the other cable but these are the only HP50s I've heard. I may sell them (once I get a new cable). I wouldn't want to move a possibly defective pair of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back