NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,096 of 3,345
I need a dedicated at home headphone. I was considering hp50 and then senn hd600 (with e12 amp). Or the fidelio x1.
How does the soundstage of the hp50 compare to the hd600?
How does the midrange compare?
If I seriously amp the hd600 and boosted the bass could I achieve the level of bass impact (with quality and tightness) of the denon d2000?

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,097 of 3,345
You have to take advantage to go open design if the opportunity is there and you aren't bothering anyone else with the leakage.
Depends on the price you pay for HD600 compared to the Fidelio x1, the x1 soundtsage is one of the best out there plenty of slam feels like you're in a cinema at times.
The 600 and 650 vs the fidelio x1 is a close battle but if the x1 is significantly cheaper whereever you can get cheapest then I'd get those.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,098 of 3,345
  You have to take advantage to go open design if the opportunity is there and you aren't bothering anyone else with the leakage.
Depends on the price you pay for HD600 compared to the Fidelio x1, the x1 soundtsage is one of the best out there plenty of slam feels like you're in a cinema at times.
The 600 and 650 vs the fidelio x1 is a close battle but if the x1 is significantly cheaper whereever you can get cheapest then I'd get those.

in the US Amazon has 18 open box X1s from $170-$180.  Lots cheaper than the 600 at $399

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,099 of 3,345
  I need a dedicated at home headphone. I was considering hp50 and then senn hd600 (with e12 amp). Or the fidelio x1.
If I seriously amp the hd600 and boosted the bass could I achieve the level of bass impact (with quality and tightness) of the denon d2000?

This isn't something that I am an expert in, so bare with me. I would think that even with EQ adjustment a headphone's limitations can only at best be somewhat mitigated. A great deal of the sound signature will be determined by the crossover design plus the damping approach. If the headphones are different in these two critical areas I fail to see how any amount of EQing will matter. For a poor analogy even if you took me, pumped me up on the very finest steroids and nutrition, kept me in the gym for years I would never become Arnold Schwarzenegger as the genetic blueprints are just so different.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,100 of 3,345

The biggest question would be do you want to block outside sounds and prevent leakage or do you want to be able to hear outside sounds and allow leakage?

Which is why I have both closed and open headphones for home use.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,101 of 3,345
Loving these 'phones so much I am enjoying my music collection all over again.  I had smile on my face playing the entire Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions.  The train ride to work and back is not only more bearable, but rather looked forward to.  :)

Anyways, I am now in search of an in-ear that has similar or near-similar sound to HP50.  My budge is in the $150 range, I can stretch to $200 if worth it.  More bass extension would be very welcome, as long as it doesn't muddy-up the clear mids.  I understand this thread is for HP50, if this cannot be discussed here, any link will do.  Thanks in advance, friendly folks.

(By the way, I read this is NAD's first foray into the headphones battlefield?  Kudos!  Go NAD! Go NAD! Go NAD!  LOL.)

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,102 of 3,345
  Loving these 'phones so much I am enjoying my music collection all over again.  I had smile on my face playing the entire Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions.  The train ride to work and back is not only more bearable, but rather looked forward to.  :)

Anyways, I am now in search of an in-ear that has similar or near-similar sound to HP50.  My budge is in the $150 range, I can stretch to $200 if worth it.  More bass extension would be very welcome, as long as it doesn't muddy-up the clear mids.  I understand this thread is for HP50, if this cannot be discussed here, any link will do.  Thanks in advance, friendly folks.

(By the way, I read this is NAD's first foray into the headphones battlefield?  Kudos!  Go NAD! Go NAD! Go NAD!  LOL.)

Try the Zero Audio Tenore.  They are good, cheap and they are the FOTM (if you don't like them, you can sell them quickly).

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,104 of 3,345
Well it's goodbye NAD HP50 and hello Denon D2k.

The NAD has something unique to it in the sound signature and if it were just that bit bigger/deeper in the cups 30% with an HFMan new generation style headband they'd be my main dynamic cans for a good while.

Thanks for any tips/help in the thread guys.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,105 of 3,345

Try the Zero Audio Tenore.  They are good, cheap and they are the FOTM (if you don't like them, you can sell them quickly).

Thanks, elvergun.  From reviews here about Carbo Tenore, they seemed to be what I'm looking for.  Then after reading dsnuts' comparison of Carbo Basso to JVC FX3X, which I have, made me think twice.  Now I can't decide, but I'm leaning towards Basso so slightly.

Oh, man.  Now I understand what they meant when they said 'sorry about your wallet'.  Another one bites the dust here,... albeit a happy one.  :)   I need a second job.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,106 of 3,345
Obvious answer: Why not try the NAD HP20?
http://nadelectronics.com/products/headphones/VISO-HP20-In-Ear-Headphones

Being a Novice (with a capital 'N'  :) , I thought HP20's sound maybe inferior to HP50's considering the former is ie and the latter an oe?  Oh, well, I am eyeing a pair of ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso at amazon.ca.  

Peeps from Canada, any recommended ebay or amazon vendor?

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,107 of 3,345
The biggest question would be do you want to block outside sounds and prevent leakage or do you want to be able to hear outside sounds and allow leakage?

Which is why I have both closed and open headphones for home use.

TBH it doesn't matter. They can leak or not, I won't be disturbing anyone lol. Just want the sq, soundstage, and comfort.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,108 of 3,345

Being a Novice (with a capital 'N'  :) , I thought HP20's sound maybe inferior to HP50's considering the former is ie and the latter an oe?  Oh, well, I am eyeing a pair of ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso at amazon.ca.  

Peeps from Canada, any recommended ebay or amazon vendor?

I bought mine from headphone bar in Vancouver. Good service inexpensive and fast shipping to me in Ottawa. They have a flat shipping rate. Very fair.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,109 of 3,345
Tackled the ridiculously short cable situation today. Just ordered from Blue Jeans cable a 12 foot cable for $51. These are good enough headphones for more than portable application (in fact they really aren't that portable, too hot as well now that it is hot here). Just thought I would mention that in case others would like to d the same.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,110 of 3,345
  Tackled the ridiculously short cable situation today. Just ordered from Blue Jeans cable a 12 foot cable for $51. These are good enough headphones for more than portable application (in fact they really aren't that portable, too hot as well now that it is hot here). Just thought I would mention that in case others would like to d the same.

I did that about a year ago and found unfortunately that the termination fittings (I think they're by Canare)
were very large and just made the entire cable very unwieldy.  (BTW, I'm a fan of BJC in general and have
been for years).  

Perhaps they're handling the mini-to-mini differently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back