NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #871 of 3,345
I don't understand why EQ'ing is so discredited and criticised. I recognize that the R&D team puts in a great deal of time, money and energy into perfecting the frequencies of the headphones or equipment, but if you personally feel it could use a slight bump in the mid-bass region, why not? If you're happier as a result, why not? We bastardize the physical aspects of a headphone by replacing the ear pads, bending and twisting the headband, swapping the cable with our preferred manufacturer, yet no one bats an eyelid; in fact it's encouraged.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #872 of 3,345
  I don't understand why EQ'ing is so discredited and criticised. I recognize that the R&D team puts in a great deal of time, money and energy into perfecting the frequencies of the headphones or equipment, but if you personally feel it could use a slight bump in the mid-bass region, why not? If you're happier as a result, why not? We bastardize the physical aspects of a headphone by replacing the ear pads, bending and twisting the headband, swapping the cable with our preferred manufacturer, yet no one bats an eyelid; in fact it's encouraged.

probably because most folks have no idea what they are doing when it comes to eq.
biggrin.gif
  Sonic Defender seems to have a very good approach.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #874 of 3,345
I grew up in the 80s with huge Pioneer HPM 100 speakers and 12 band graphic equalizers with that nice old U sweep and never realized just what the heck I was doing! Now I finally understand there is so much that can be done with only the most minor of changes. Who knew?

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #875 of 3,345
Tracking looks like I will get mine tomorrow....can't wait.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #877 of 3,345
Yah, that's the one!

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #879 of 3,345
Yeah, but remember headphones are highly subjective, even though I prefer the M500 it's not certain that you will, they are both very good, what you prefer is up to personal preference.

I do know this, already. That's why I asked you to compare the HP50 to a headphone I already own and like (M500). You just confirmed that the HP50 is more neutral than the M500... which is not what I'm looking for in a portable. So... yeah... I'll be passing up on the HP50 based on my research (which you helped with)... not your personal preference... 
wink_face.gif

Either way, had to put up my M500 for sale for financial reasons. Later down the line I'll look into another portable, or just re-buy the M500 for a third time 
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #880 of 3,345
Just came back here to say that after 4 months using these headphones for 8 hours a day, these are still going strong! 

When I first got these headphones, they didn't really wow me but they are sort of neutral so I guess that comes with the territory. When I randomly switched back to my sister's M-Audio Q40, I noticed how much better the NADs rendered the vocals and then it hit me. Still wish that the NADs had a little better dynamics, meaning a little more V-shape to them, just a little more though. Maybe the P7s can be the best of both worlds. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #881 of 3,345

Either way, had to put up my M500 for sale for financial reasons. Later down the line I'll look into another portable, or just re-buy the M500 for a third time 
tongue.gif

Get the Mikros 90's from newegg for $60. You won't regret it. Even if they are not as fun as the M500's, you may very well end up liking them more. Seriously. And they're only $60...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mikros+90&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #882 of 3,345

Get the Mikros 90's from newegg for $60. You won't regret it. Even if they are not as fun as the M500's, you may very well end up liking them more. Seriously. And they're only $60...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mikros+90&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I might just look into it, ma'sa' wayne! Gotta sell some gear, first, and make up for some finances. I'm in a but of a bind, at the moment...

Sorry guys! Continue on with your HP50 talk...

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #883 of 3,345
Just got my HP50's today. ...
Makes a nice change of style to my other cans. I can see how they can be worn for a long-time....very smooth slightly dark signature....no upper region fatigue.
Can get the micro-detail from my planars when I need that slant. They are also as others mentioned, forgiving of audio mastering quality that can really show up for better or worse with planars.
The headband is not so bad as I imagined looks-wise. They may not be for everyone, but they are certainly for me.
Thanks to previous posters who reviewed them in a positive light....

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #885 of 3,345
I've read some of this thread.  Not all of it just yet.  Was wondering, how well do these headphones seal out external noise?  I'm considering using these on my PC for atmospheric first person games like Stalker, Skyrim, and Bioshock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back