NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #901 of 3,345
  So I've had my HP50s for a couple of days now. I can confirm the V-Moda audio cable fits perfectly and works without an issue, so if you need a longer cable for desktop use it's perfect.

Otherwise, I'm actually very happy with these headphones. They do sound very good indeed. Quite spacious and coherent. They also don't look anywhere near as bad on my head as they do on other people I've seen. I think it depends greatly on your hair and the shape of your head, and it works OK with my noggin! Comfort is good, maybe not quite at the level I'd want for all day desktop use, but certainly passes for listening for a few hours. I think I want to make this my portable headphone (once I get contact lenses).  

Do your ears touch the drivers ? Mine do and my ears are not that big !

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #902 of 3,345
Hmm, they do a little bit but they're not squashed by them or anything. My right ear is fine, but after a few hours my left ear gets slightly sore. I've had that issue with other headphones though, My left ear must just be sticking out a fraction more than my right. 

But like I said, for portable use I think the comfort is great. It's not quite there for me for serious desktop listening, but it's obviously more of a portable / lifestyle / consumer headphone so that's to be expected. When I can afford it I think I want the SRH1540 as my desktop headphone and this one to use with my phone. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #903 of 3,345
  Hmm, they do a little bit but they're not squashed by them or anything. My right ear is fine, but after a few hours my left ear gets slightly sore. I've had that issue with other headphones though, My left ear must just be sticking out a fraction more than my right. 

But like I said, for portable use I think the comfort is great. It's not quite there for me for serious desktop listening, but it's obviously more of a portable / lifestyle / consumer headphone so that's to be expected. When I can afford it I think I want the SRH1540 as my desktop headphone and this one to use with my phone. 

I think if they scale up the size of the cups/earpads by a %-age and made a suspension headband like HiFiMAN they'd really have an excellent headphone. I think they took their design cue off of B&W or some other company.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #905 of 3,345
It's been 2 weeks since I got the HP50. I can say by far it is the best closed headphone I've heard. It's so comfortable and so light, I can wear it for hours. Centrance DACPort and HP50 is now my ultimate laptop setup.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #906 of 3,345
  Hi,
I wonder if anyone compared the nad hp50 vs the focal spirit classic/professional?
I think the price in eu is a bit steap i can only find it here for 300 euro while it should be around eur220 if the retail price is 300 dollar.

Are there any places that sell it for cheaper in eu (dont see it on thomann) or international places that ship to eu?
I was thinking about the original momentums but i cant easily find those here only the on-ear version.
Greetings, Anouk,

I haven't tried the Focal Spirit Classic or Professional, but the earcups are definitely smaller on the Focal so may not be as comfortable for one as it is to another.

Also, the HP50 has remained at £250 for quite some time. I assume there are restrictions on its pricing. Some companies disallow any discounting unless a certain amount of time has passed, or don't allow it at all. And the reason why $300 is not €220 might be because of taxes. $300 is probably including Canadian taxes, where I assume they are made since that's where the company is based, so when they're shipped to another continent or country, like Europe or Australia, import duties and taxes of that respective country is applied. Also, dealer mark-up.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #907 of 3,345

I haven't tried the Focal Spirit Classic or Professional, but the earcups are definitely smaller on the Focal so may not be as comfortable for one as it is to another.

Also, the HP50 has remained at £250 for quite some time. I assume there are restrictions on its pricing. Some companies disallow any discounting unless a certain amount of time has passed, or don't allow it at all. And the reason why $300 is not €220 might be because of taxes. $300 is probably including Canadian taxes, where I assume they are made since that's where the company is based, so when they're shipped to another continent or country, like Europe or Australia, import duties and taxes of that respective country is applied. Also, dealer mark-up.

There is, NAD restrict discounting "wars" on the retail front. I think they had an article on their site about that.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #909 of 3,345
Guessed so. It happens sometimes. Apart from certain companies believing wholeheartedly their product is worth the RRP, they also don't want the bigger distributors, like Amazon or Newegg, who can both afford to discount heavily, to encroach on the smaller distributors, or 'mom and pop' stores, so they set limits and restrictions. If the producer sees a discounted product, they are stripped from the dealer manifest.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #910 of 3,345
It's sad - from what I've heard, these have great sound - but I can't help but hate the design.

It's just so... square. Square headband, square cups, square logo. It really does look odd on the head, doesn't it?

If they had designed them better, they'd be flying off shelves, methinks.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #911 of 3,345
Had an opportunity to spend some more time with these today and I'm loving them more. True to say I was a basshead before purchasing these. Used to have the gain switch on my iBasso D6 on. After a few Stella's and some SRV today, I gotta say these headphones are simply marvellous.

I hate you headfier's because now I'm also considering another DAP, Pico Portable Power amp and Fidelio X1's, as I don't own an open set of headphones.

Just kidding of course, stumbling upon this site has given me much joy and thanks for that.

Cheers and a happy upcoming Easter to all.  

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #913 of 3,345
I just got the refurbished HP50. Very brief impression is that the sound is quite good. However the problem with the headband is immediately evident. The pressure point on the top of my head won't be comfortable for more than an hour or two. Also the cup is rather shallow, making my ears sweaty.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #914 of 3,345
Yeah, they sound great, but uncomfortable for me, so I sold them.

They are ugly too, and build quality is not great.

1) Agreed - Sound Great

2) Haven't comfort issues , at lease not enough to sell them

3) The headband is ugly on some heads but it seems fine for some, I wish they had a different look but oh well

4) No issues with my build quality yet

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #915 of 3,345
I just got the refurbished HP50. Very brief impression is that the sound is quite good. However the problem with the headband is immediately evident. The pressure point on the top of my head won't be comfortable for more than an hour or two. Also the cup is rather shallow, making my ears sweaty.

Try raising the headband a small notch or 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back