NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 5, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #3,301 of 3,345
My stock pads are finally starting to degrade. I have scoured this thread and other places but am yet to find any definitive options for aftermarket pads that don't negatively affect the sound quality. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I'd be willing to pay for a decent pair if available anywhere. I love these headphones.
Brainwavz sheepskin angled pads sound fine. Much more comfy too.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #3,302 of 3,345
My stock pads are finally starting to degrade. I have scoured this thread and other places but am yet to find any definitive options for aftermarket pads that don't negatively affect the sound quality. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I'd be willing to pay for a decent pair if available anywhere. I love these headphones.

If you want the same sound then try to get factory replacement pads from your local NAD dealer:

NAD_Viso_HP50_earpad.jpg

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,303 of 3,345
If you want the same sound then try to get factory replacement pads from your local NAD dealer:

NAD_Viso_HP50_earpad.jpg
As I mentioned a few messages up, I bit the bullet and ordered replacement pads from NAD's North American distributer and they sent the pads that you pictured. However, those "original" replacement pads actually sounded very different than the pads that came with the phones when I purchased them years ago; the replacement pads had lots of flabby boomy bass and badly rolled off treble. I ended up going back to my clapped out original pads with q-tips inserted inside them to expand their height a bit and make up for the partially collapsed foam. Not great, but at least they are listenable.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #3,304 of 3,345
As I mentioned a few messages up, I bit the bullet and ordered replacement pads from NAD's North American distributer and they sent the pads that you pictured. However, those "original" replacement pads actually sounded very different than the pads that came with the phones when I purchased them years ago; the replacement pads had lots of flabby boomy bass and badly rolled off treble. I ended up going back to my clapped out original pads with q-tips inserted inside them to expand their height a bit and make up for the partially collapsed foam. Not great, but at least they are listenable.
Interesting.
A buddy of mine ordered these pads. He said that their actual size was a bit different than the original ones, but he did not notice any striking difference in the sound.

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #3,305 of 3,345

It's possible that you're so used to the sound of your broken-in pads that the brand new pads sound off in comparison

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,306 of 3,345
It's possible that you're so used to the sound of your broken-in pads that the brand new pads sound off in comparison
No, I don't think so. First, the broken-in pads sounded awful, and with the addition of the Q tips they still sound pretty mediocre. It's not like I somehow got used to the sound and came to like it. More significantly, I'm comparing the sound over my NAD phones to the sound of my well-set-up ProAc 1SC speakers, which I love. When the NAD phones were new, the sound was very close to the ProAc speakers (which is the reason I chose the NADs in the first place). A year or two ago, as the pads deteriorated, the phones started sounding very different from the speakers (basically, the bass disappeared from the phones if I remember correctly). When I replaced the broken-down pads with new "original" replacement pads, they still sound very different from the speakers, but now with too much poor-quality bass and rolled off treble. There have been no other changes in my system and my room is unchanged, so I think I'm safe saying that the sound through my speakers is a reliable reference.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,307 of 3,345
As pads break in they physically will end up altering the sound of the headphones. In some cases it'll go from meh/good (new) to good (conformed appropriately to your head) to horrid (no longer can conform to anything, used).

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #3,310 of 3,345
Anyone tried HP70 pads? The original replacement pads for the HP50 are no longer available from NAD. NAD told me HP70 pads are different in some way. What's the latest on the best aftermarket replacement pads anyway?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #3,311 of 3,345
Jul 5, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #3,312 of 3,345
Thanks, I shall order these, the HP70 pads are $50 plus tax, a bit spendy for an unproven solution. I zipped the case on my gently used HP50s right after the Covid started, pads were intact, took them out recently and pads are shedding like crazy. (Unhappy emoji)

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,313 of 3,345
Thanks, I shall order these, the HP70 pads are $50 plus tax, a bit spendy for an unproven solution. I zipped the case on my gently used HP50s right after the Covid started, pads were intact, took them out recently and pads are shedding like crazy. (Unhappy emoji)

When I took out my old Sennheiser px100 i discovered the foam ear pads had turned to dust and the little headband cushions had turned to sticky goo. They had been stored for probably about 10 years. I finished restoring them just last week and they sound way better than I remembered. I will actually use them with a small dap around the house.

I hope you will enjoy your HP50 again. You have made me want to get mine out. I have way too many headphones.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,315 of 3,345
Especially compared to a denon ah d5200? Who’s the winner 🏆?
Here in Hungary the D5200 is triple priced compared to the HP50. Same applies to the 2nd hand market.
Soundwise I prefer the HP50. It has an outstanding sound quality in its price range and very easy to drive.
The D5200 is more comfortable, nicely built with zebrawood cups. Sound is good, but there is strong competition in its price range. E.g.: Final Sonorous II-III-IV-VI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back