NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 1, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,866 of 3,345
On the topic of "upgrade from HP50", I think it's pretty clear to me...

Between myself and my Wife, we've got (among others) the HP50s, Senn HD-650s, HE-400i, and Oppo PM-3.

Now, I've never heard HD-600s, but I don't think that my 650s sound much like the HP50s. They're closer to the HE-400i, and yeah I think the 400i are a shade better than the 650s, or at least I prefer the less-laid back sound. I generally prefer the HP50s to either the 650s or the 400i, but the open cans are a nice change of pace from time to time. I wore open headphones for 10 years but in the past few years it's become clear to me that I favor the fullness of the closed sound over the soundstage space of open cans, especially since better closed cans can get pretty decent soundstages themselves with a good tube selection.

Which brings me to the PM-3. I've spent 90% of my headphone time in the past year with the HP50s, and with the PM-3s in hand, I'm really not sure I'll be putting the HP50s back on my head any time soon. The NADs are better un-ampd than the PM-3s, they do slightly better presence with vocals, and... well.. that's about it. The PM-3s are better at just about everything else. Considering how much I love the Barton twins (I've also got a pair of PSB M4U1 at work, that were my primary cans for a year and a half prior to the NADs), I was amazed that the PM-3 topped them pretty much across the board.

If you don't believe me, there's a PM-3 loaner program thread.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,867 of 3,345
Hi, would anyone recommend a cable upgrade for the HP50? Will auxiliary cables with normal 3.5mm connectors work on this phones?

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #2,868 of 3,345
Hi, would anyone recommend a cable upgrade for the HP50? Will auxiliary cables with normal 3.5mm connectors work on this phones?

Yeah, any 3.5mm cable will work

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,871 of 3,345

I use this: V-MODA Extended Audio Cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTR7NS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sounds as good as the stock cable. It doesn't influence the sound at all but is better built and longer which is what I desired.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,872 of 3,345
Thank you guys! I didn't realise someone actually a thread created for it. Sounds like you both already like the stock sound, and just wanted something longer and/or stronger. I'm looking for exactly the same things, although a bit more bass would be a nice bonus too. : )

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,873 of 3,345
On the topic of "upgrade from HP50", I think it's pretty clear to me...

Which brings me to the PM-3. I've spent 90% of my headphone time in the past year with the HP50s, and with the PM-3s in hand, I'm really not sure I'll be putting the HP50s back on my head any time soon. The NADs are better un-ampd than the PM-3s, they do slightly better presence with vocals, and... well.. that's about it. The PM-3s are better at just about everything else. Considering how much I love the Barton twins (I've also got a pair of PSB M4U1 at work, that were my primary cans for a year and a half prior to the NADs), I was amazed that the PM-3 topped them pretty much across the board.

If you don't believe me, there's a PM-3 loaner program thread.

My observation was quiet the opposite, the PM-3 is long gone, and my HP50 is on my head right now.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #2,874 of 3,345
Thank you guys! I didn't realise someone actually a thread created for it. Sounds like you both already like the stock sound, and just wanted something longer and/or stronger. I'm looking for exactly the same things, although a bit more bass would be a nice bonus too. : )

Cables won't alter bass, unless they have some messed up resistance, in other words faulty. I use some boost on my Onkyo HF player's excellent EQ at the lowest octaves without messing with the nearby FR's.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,875 of 3,345
I decided to go with a QED Profile J2J. Listening to it after an hour of playing, the sound is significantly better. Soundstage is wider and instrument separation is clearer. Previously congested music pieces are no longer so. Overall tonality is also bigger and richer, with more information/music coming through with ease, and bass feels weightier and more authoritative. And one thing I'm thankful for, one side of the jacks is 'stepped' to accommodate mobile in cases so it fits perfectly into the HP50. Here are some pics. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,876 of 3,345
LOL whatever works.:)

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,877 of 3,345
I ordered a pair of these and a pair of Shure 1540s. Hopefully I'll end up keeping at least one of them. For referece, I have also owned the PM3, and while I loved the detail and tonality, I found the soundstage claustrophobic, which kind of spoiled it for me.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,878 of 3,345
I love the punchy sound of the HP50, that regularly gives me goosebumps. It's much more fun to me than the neutral sound of say a Sennheiser. Now, I am looking for some speakers, preferably towers, with a similar sound signature in the range of $1-2k per pair. What are your favorite speakers, fellow HP50 enthusiasts?

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #2,879 of 3,345
I love the punchy sound of the HP50, that regularly gives me goosebumps. It's much more fun to me than the neutral sound of say a Sennheiser. Now, I am looking for some speakers, preferably towers, with a similar sound signature in the range of $1-2k per pair. What are your favorite speakers, fellow HP50 enthusiasts?

PSB would be a good start since it bears the initials and chief design of Paul Barton, who also designed this headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back