NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
May 24, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,836 of 3,345
Soundstage seems more open, but sound signature turned too bright and hollow, as bass response became poor and some songs (especially modern pop) sound lack of body.

Other than the soundstage comment, this is identical to my experience. The HM5 pads are not a good sonicly with the HP50s. They become far too bright and lose bass. It's too bad because the HM5 pads are pretty darned comfortable. :)

Brian.

May 25, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2,837 of 3,345
Other than the soundstage comment, this is identical to my experience. The HM5 pads are not a good sonicly with the HP50s. They become far too bright and lose bass. It's too bad because the HM5 pads are pretty darned comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brian.

HM5 pads are far better than the stock one no doubt (comfort wise)

I changed from stock to the HM5's again because well.. the pain is too much sometimes..

This time I'm playing a Chinese 80-90s female solo, simple song without much low end. All of sudden the expanded soundstage and brightness seems desirable in this song. 

I then switched to Linkin Park - In the end. HM5 no no.
Hiromi - Kung fu world champion: fine with HM5's, though I prefer how it sound through the ori pad.
Melody Gardot - if the stars were mine: HM5's did a good job
Any other pop / electronica is simply a no.

Hit and miss, I guess I can still make use of the HM5 pad, just pick a suitable playlist to play whenever I have to switch pads. Anything soothing, without much low ends will do 
smily_headphones1.gif

=====EDIT=====
Surprise surprise
The HM5's are so much more comfortable lying on a pillow.
I also noticed something, my headphone is extended fully with stock pads, but I've adjusted to only 1 click wth HM5's.
Ok so I was just lying down on bed, eyes closed and queued a variety of tracks manually to see what the HM5 pad can shine.
Surprisingly everything sounds better now, I guess it's because 1 click make the fit and seal better.
Same bright open sound with less bass.
BIGBANG - Loser: sounds closer to the live concert I been to, due to the reduced bass thump I would say.
Justin timberlake - Mirrors: I've heard lot more details. I would say I'm very familiar with this song, yet it surprises me.
Black eyed peas - the time (dirty bit): reduced mid bass thump again, but this seems to shift the attention to more sub bass presence and other details.

Overall: I think the HM5 pad's openness, and reduced mid bass rly help extracting a lot more details (or should I say because you're not too busy with bass thump now hence focus more on other part of the song). Overall desirable, but I see myself switching to stock pads back and forth for difference sound signature from time to time.
I'll take back what I said, the £15 seems like I've bought another pair of headphone with a different sound signature lol.

May 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,838 of 3,345
I had a similarly bad experience with the HM5 pads of the NADs, but if you expand your collection of headphones at all, you will find the HM5 pads will come in handy at some point.  They're a good accessory to own in this game.. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,839 of 3,345
hey is anybody still alive in here? can NAD hp50 be considered end game with an o2odac? Is NAD a respected company? i want these cus they are comfy and have a less harsh sound, and i am treble sensitive and the pads on my hd650 hurt so i want to try these.

what level would you put the NAD hp50 at? like i assume they are better than beats - > better than stuff under 100$ -> better than m50x and its range of stuff? 

better than the 598HD level? 

not as good as the 600/650HD ? 

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,840 of 3,345
  hey is anybody still alive in here? can NAD hp50 be considered end game with an o2odac? Is NAD a respected company? i want these cus they are comfy and have a less harsh sound, and i am treble sensitive and the pads on my hd650 hurt so i want to try these.

what level would you put the NAD hp50 at? like i assume they are better than beats - > better than stuff under 100$ -> better than m50x and its range of stuff? 

Hi there -

I am listening to the Cousin of the NAD HP 50s right now, the PSB M4U 1 and while I don't consider them "end game", they are definitely awesome headphones. I've not compared them directly to the HD600/650 but my guess is that they're as good if not better SQ wise considering they are also almost half the price. Very strong, extended bass, a smooth midrange, and really nicely rendered treble. My PSB's beat my Sennheiser HD595s all-around which sound very good on the O2/ODAC. They are more comfortable headphones to wear and listen to for long stretches, but ultimately they are less detailed, less extended (at both ends of the spectrum), and just not as versatile if you listen to a lot of different genres.

Couple things, the NAD and the PSB don't really NEED an amp, being so darn efficient, particularly one as strong as the O2. So if you get one, you might want to ask for 1.0x "unity" gain. I find they do sound better with a good source/amp, but the improvement isn't as dramatic as it has been for me with other headphones. Something to keep in mind. Honestly, I got the impression that bass / treble both improved as with my devices the sound was a tad more "mid-centric" without the O2/ODAC.

If you had $400 to spend, I'd probably check out the OPPO PM3s. The planar headphones I've tried so far have been quite amazing - definitely taking the depth and realism up a notch. the Senn HD 600s are a classic and I am sure would be comfortable and all-around very good, but for my money the planars have been where it is at for really awesome SQ. I've heard that the Oppo's are a little soft in the treble, however, so if you want a more "forward" sound, stick with the NAD/PSB.

Finally, the NADs don't fit everyone's head that well. If you have a smaller head/ears, the PSBs will probably be a good fit. They have gotten a little more comfortable overtime, but I'd be lying if I said they got my "all day" seal of approval.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #2,841 of 3,345

I've got both the HP50s and the Sennheiser HD-650s, among others.

They're not really very comparable sound-quality wise.

The HP50s have great soundstage for closed phones, but can't match the 650s in that regard. Big lead by the 650s here.

The 650s have great bass for (non-planar) open phones, but can't match the HP50s in that regard. Big lead by the HP50s here.

They both have quality midrange, but the feel is very different. The HP50s are, as you might expect, more intimate. The 650s are more analytical. The HP50s can actually get a little too muddy in the mids on a few certain tracks, but generally speaking I personally prefer their mid presentation to the 650s. There is just something magical about the "roomfeel" HP50 mid's. They're full of life and energy and feeling. There's nothing wrong at all with the 650s mids, they're great. They're accurate, they're detailed, they're sweet. it's just what you prefer. My slight preference goes to the HP50s here.

Neither headphone leans on treble like say my Beyers or Grados do. Both have "enough". The HP50s are slightly more "exciting" than the 650s in the treble range, but that's only comparing the two of them. neither can hold a candle to the sparkle and treble detail my Beyer DT880s can bring. Fairly even. Maybe a slight lead to the 650s.

as for comfort? I can wear the HP50s for hours with no problems with them being uncomfortable, but they can get warm after a while. I do reposition the cups maybe once an hour. not a big deal. I can wear the 650s all day and then some and barely notice they're on my head. They're among the most comfortable cans I've ever had. The Beyer DT880s are about their equal, and my long-deceased Senn HD-590s are the only cans I've ever had I'd definitively call "more comfortable" than the 650s. The 650s take the lead here imo.

On balance, I think the HD-650s are slightly better cans overall, but the HP50s are right there with them. The HP50s are punching WAY above their retail price. I favored the HP50s almost exclusively for probably 6 months after I got them. Only recently (with new replacement pads) have my 650s gotten back into rotation. I probably listen about 60%/40% in favor of the 650s, but that's because I need open cans a lot of the time to be able to hear what's going on around me. Given my choice, it'd probably be 60/40 the other way in favor of the HP50s.

I want to mention the PSB M4U1 as well, the cousin cans of the HP50s. They are my work cans and I don't feel like I need anything else at all. I'm quite happy. They're almost identical in sound to the HP50s, but I'm on my 3rd pair ( <3 PSB 2-year warranty) due to the stupid plastic headband's tendency to crack. I don't know whose idea that was, but I'm glad they corrected it on the NADs. The PSBs are a hair more comfortable than the NADs, but I feel like I get a better seal with the NADs. It's a coin-flip, personally.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #2,842 of 3,345
Well, I went and got the hp50 and was quite looking forward to them when the first time i spread the cans apart I heard a crack in the right side of the headband, about where the metal part sleeves over it. Quite disheartened, as after giving it quite a few look and feel overs I tried them on and was very pleased. I can't reproduce even a creak from where i heard the quite distinct crack of plastic, and the clamping force seems to still be there.

Amazon will refund, but unsure. I could order another after i ship them back, but I just can't find anything wrong with them but I know something inside broke.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,844 of 3,345
I may not be able to wear these for long but there's something about these headphones that barely any other headphones seem to match. No grain compared to others.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,845 of 3,345
  Well, I went and got the hp50 and was quite looking forward to them when the first time i spread the cans apart I heard a crack in the right side of the headband, about where the metal part sleeves over it. Quite disheartened, as after giving it quite a few look and feel overs I tried them on and was very pleased. I can't reproduce even a creak from where i heard the quite distinct crack of plastic, and the clamping force seems to still be there.

Amazon will refund, but unsure. I could order another after i ship them back, but I just can't find anything wrong with them but I know something inside broke.

tbh i would return them. don't sit with that for 250$, i was gonna get the nad hp50 but thinking i will get the sennheiser ie80s instead (iems with amazing sound and good soundstage, and hopefully they will be comfy for me) 

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,846 of 3,345
My experience with headphones is very limited having owned only a few, namely Sennheiser HD 580, HD 598, Bowers & Wilkins P7, and now the NAD Visio HP50. I don't yet own a headphone amp outside of the Dragonfly Black 1.5 that I use with my iPhone and ALAC or FLAC files.

I am familiar with audiophile level audio gear however, having worked in the industry for many years. My home two channel gear is a Threshold T100 class A amp, a Nelson Pass designed preamp, Lexicon RT-20 CD/SACD player, Spendor S8e speakers, a REL sub and various DACs, interconnects, etc., etc. that switch in & out upon whim.

Prior to the HP50s I had been using the B&O P7 mostly for bedroom or portable listening and although I recognize they are colored, I enjoyed the color. I picked up the HP50s because they were inexpensive and well recommended by several here as well as good reviewers. When I first got them and put them on I was disappointed with the sound and was certain I would be returning them. They seemed anaemic through the entire range and lacked bass. But they had something I couldn't put my finger on in those first minutes. Rather than return them immediately I decided to run them in for 48 hours and take another listen.

After a couple of days, put them on again and they sounded good enough for me to have an extended listening session which lasted several hours. The bass had tightened up and they seemed more balanced overall. The other thing I was now able to identify was a soundstage that I'd never experienced with headphones before. With my home system, yes, speakers disappear and image way beyond the speakers, offering huge depth and width.
But not headphones that I had listened to before. These HP50s had much more of it than any other I had tried. The music was not just between my ears but outside of them. They had depth in the front with vocals centered in front and drum kits some distance behind the vocals and in some instances outside and slightly behind my ears like reflections in a small concert venue. It occurred to me that it was as though the recording had been engineered with Qsound (1990's) or some of the phase tricks they attempted in early experiments with 2 channel surround sound.

So far, I have not put the P7s on since and I think if and when I do, I am going to recognize how colored they are. The NAD HP50s are fairly well balanced across the range to my older ears and I feel the bass is adequate and offers the impact it should. Maybe not like a live concert with the impact of a bass kick drum or bottom end of an electric bass but with well recorded material it feels and sounds very listenable. Which brings me to my final and most important conclusion: these are very listenable headphones and they will not be going back. But they do make me wonder what else may be out there in a higher price bracket.

If anything the P7's may be up for sale.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,847 of 3,345
I have had the HP50's for 2 years now in daily use for 4-6 hours in various enviroments, including my car and at work, and they have not been treated very gently.

I must say I find your contention that you find the build quality 'average' contradicted by my experiences - they have gone from temperatures of -30 Celcius in winter to + 60 C (in a hot car with the windows closed) over and over again.

They have worked flawlessly and sounded great the entire time, and the only problem I have had was with the original cable giving up after 8 months and dozens of snag related disconnections(replaced with V-Moda cable - 3 thumbs up!).

Just because it uses plastic in it's construction is no reason to dump on it's build quality - these cans are mobile warriors, believe me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,849 of 3,345
I sadly had to sell these because of comfort issues. Shame, they were some of the best sounding closed headphones I ever heard.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #2,850 of 3,345
I like my HP50 quite a lot, though my enormous ears don't come close to fitting inside the pads.  I had to send my set back to retailer however, because the hinge on the left cup started tearing up inside, with a lot of horizontal movement and a loud snapping sound coming out of the cup every time I put it on my head.  New set is on its way now.  I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so maybe an isolated problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back