NAD Viso HP20 In-Ear
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 43
So lately I have been considering buying a pair of these as a secondary pair for listening on the go. I already own a pair of PSB M4U2 which I love and use for everything (music, TV/movies and gaming), and seeing as these are designed with the same RoomFeel (which, from what I understand is all about EQ tuning) tech, the sonic character (and here's the caveat) should appeal to me. I live in a country with cold winters, so a mid priced pair of IEM:s would be great for when I am wearing a cap to protect against the cold. I haven't been able to try them out yet, as local stores have (for obvious reasons) are not demo:ing these IEM:s.

How do these stand up to, say Shure SE215/315? Those are the alternatives I am looking at so far. I'm looking for something in the way of mostly neutral, yet musical sounding phones. That is how I'd like to describe my M4U2:s, neutral with a tad warmth and very pleasant in character.

These are colored compared to the HP50 which is already colored when compared to the M4U... Just a heads up. The RoomFeel IMO is just a marketing thing that says they wanted to put layering and soundstage into these.

As for wearing them under a cap, I think this is going to be the biggest factor for you. They stick out quite a bit :/ might be a little uncomfortable :frowning2: I've been sitting in a polar vortex (some The Day After Tomorrow stuff) for the last month, these aren't comfortable to wear under anything that covers the ears.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 43
Thanks for the input! Too bad to hear that these are not very cap compatible. 

Yeah, I am ofc aware of the power of marketing words when it comes to sound (I am a musician), but the information regarding EQ and such came directly from an interview with Barton himself, hence why I am a bit more prone to believe this particular bit of marketing. :)

Are the Shure IEM:s less intrusive? They seem to sit more flush against the ear when in use.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 43
Thanks for the input! Too bad to hear that these are not very cap compatible. 

Yeah, I am ofc aware of the power of marketing words when it comes to sound (I am a musician), but the information regarding EQ and such came directly from an interview with Barton himself, hence why I am a bit more prone to believe this particular bit of marketing. :)

Are the Shure IEM:s less intrusive? They seem to sit more flush against the ear when in use.

I haven't personally used a Shure IEM, but I would have to say yes because they should sit more flush. You really just want to find something that doesn't stick out so much.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #34 of 43
 Bought one last week. compare with the Shure SE215, the bass is better, but the comfort part not that good. Kind of hard for me to get a good seal tip from the box. Anyway still in the burn in process will see how it work out later.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #36 of 43
Aug 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #38 of 43
Used these for close to 2 weeks. Overall I was impressed with the sound. These earphones are under appreciated for what they deliver. They're built like tanks and seem like they could take a serious beating (though I baby my IEMS). I find the overall sound very powerful but never lacking in either bass, mids or treble. If anything, each of these are are very well represented. On my first few listens I did think the treble was a little edgy, but with the right tips I found the treble to be on the good side of bright...

My only issue with this iem was the somewhat holographic sound they produce. I think NAD call it 'roomfeel'. Once you pickup on it you can focus too much on it. Its not bad per se, but it does leave you feeling that the sound has been manipulated over and above what you're supposed to hear... almost like switching on a slight reverb preset on your music player. If this doesnt bother you, then I'd whole heartedly recommend this, for the price I think the overall sound and build is great value.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #39 of 43
I auditioned the HP50 and was very impressed with the sound, if not with the comfort and styling (they're only average in comfort and downright hideous). It's too bad the HP20 don't stack up. As much as I like the HP50 I have no use for a closed full sized headphone - if only there was an IEM that actually sounded like the HP50. A bump in the 2-3.5k area is an absolute deal breaker for me - I don't mind boosted bass or treble as long as the 200-8k area is smooth and free of audible bumps and peaks.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #40 of 43
I auditioned the HP50 and was very impressed with the sound, if not with the comfort and styling (they're only average in comfort and downright hideous). It's too bad the HP20 don't stack up. As much as I like the HP50 I have no use for a closed full sized headphone - if only there was an IEM that actually sounded like the HP50. A bump in the 2-3.5k area is an absolute deal breaker for me - I don't mind boosted bass or treble as long as the 200-8k area is smooth and free of audible bumps and peaks.

I've owned the HP20s for about 6 months now and sonically, these are my favorite IEMs. I agree with you though that in terms of comfort they need some patience (to put it lightly). I have resorted to using some Sony tips with a do-it-yourself custom molded silicone filling I got from Amazon. I absolutely love the soundstage of the headphones, although I would not describe it as holographic, I really think its spacious and open. Yes the treble is slightly boosted (I don't mind it at all) but the mids are so good and the bass complements the entire experience. I've tried so many headphones that it's crazy; I ultimately go back and compare them to the HP20s and nothing stacks up. I own the B&W P7s, the original B&W P5s, Beats Studio 2.0, Bose SoundTrue Over the Ears, Bose Freestyles, Jaybird BlueBuds X, UE 4000, UE 350vi and some Klipsch R6i. The closest to these and not even kidding are the Jaybird Bluebuds X. Of course the HP20s sound much better but the sound signature is reminiscent. The highs on the HP20s are crisp and detailed, the mids are vibrant and lively while the lows are rich and powerful yet tight and controled. Needless to say, I'm seriously enjoying this IEM.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #41 of 43

You may want to look at the DUNU DN-1000. I own the NAD's and to me the DN1K's are my HP50 in ear equivalent. Or as close as you can get to that sound signature. The highs are a little clearer/brighter plus slightly more bass but everything else is very similar.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #42 of 43
Reviving an old thread for a day at least. I bought a pair of HP50 again a month or 2 ago as they go on sale here in Canada at Visions Electronics quite regularly. For $98 I figured they were a steal. So after using them and starting to really appreciate their sound I started to wonder if the HP20 were really not worth buying. So again Vision Electronics kept tempting me as the HP20 go on sale regularly for $68. Today I finally gave in and bought a pair.

These things have a damned impressive sound. Very good sound stage and excellent detail retrieval while staying dynamic and enjoyable. I get the comfort issues as I have played with the stock tips and then switched to some JVC spirals and may try some Sony hybrids. They also suffer from the bullet design that might turn some people off but damned if the sound doesn't trump most of those short comings. Are they worth their full retail?... probably not but at $68 they offer a darned nice sound well worth the money.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 43
I was digging around in a drawer and found my old, neglected HP20 IEMs. I probably have not used them since 2018 when I bought my BQEYZ K2 IEMs which are still in my rotation.

They don’t sound too bad 10 years later. Has anybody still got theirs and tried them recently, considering the wealth of IEMs that we have now. How do you feel that they sound compared to a modern IEM in your collection?

I’ve never regretted getting these because I got them on points from some rewards card or other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back