NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #916 of 1,623
Quote:

Is their support for this device waning? I would have expected more fw updates/advances than have been released so far. Although I remain completely satisfied with the sound.

FW updates are there to correct known issues that can be corrected via FW. If there are no more updates then there are no issues to address. It doesn't indicate that support is waning. I happen to be a former drinking buddy and close friend of the designer and I know him well enough to say that he will revisit his design to see what else he can squeeze out of it. It's just that he got promoted to a director so he hasn't got as much time as before to sniff soldering fumes.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #917 of 1,623
FW updates are there to correct known issues that can be corrected via FW. If there are no more updates then there are no issues to address. It doesn't indicate that support is waning. I happen to be a former drinking buddy and close friend of the designer and I know him well enough to say that he will revisit his design to see what else he can squeeze out of it. It's just that he got promoted to a director so he hasn't got as much time as before to sniff soldering fumes.

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #918 of 1,623
Late to the NAD M51 party.  Love the M51 DAC!!  It pairs well with my BHSE+SR009 combo.  Very nice DAC that is considerably better sounding than my W4S DAC-2.  Pretty even par with the April Music Eximus DP-1 with the DP-1 being a tad sweeter over all while the M51 is more neutral and transparent.  Love the M51's bass - very fluid with excellent low levels details.  The brush aluminum faceplate matches my silver BHSE perfectly.  Pictures soon to follow.  

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #919 of 1,623
Quote:
Late to the NAD M51 party.  Love the M51 DAC!!  It pairs well with my BHSE+SR009 combo.  Very nice DAC that is considerably better sounding than my W4S DAC-2.  Pretty even par with the April Music Eximus DP-1 with the DP-1 being a tad sweeter over all while the M51 is more neutral and transparent.  Love the M51's bass - very fluid with excellent low levels details.  The brush aluminum faceplate matches my silver BHSE perfectly.  Pictures soon to follow.  

Nice impressions!!! I was tempted for the April. Glad to hear what you think, as I would prefer a more neutral presentation. And not to mention, now that I am used to it, I could not do without a remote volume control.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #920 of 1,623
So some time after trying out Somnambulist's m51 at the UK meet I finally decided to grab one for myself and I'm loving it. Well worth it's price and dominates the M-DAC it replaces.

Just one question, does anybody know how to check the firmware that is currently on a unit? I've read that you just have to hold the input button while powering on but that doesn't work for me.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #921 of 1,623
I have a question. I want to use M51's RCA and XLR output at the same time, so I need to make a XLR to RCA converter.
I know that the positive(+) and ground of the XLR connect directly to RCA's (+)&G, the problem is I am confuse that the negative(-) of XLR is suppose to connect to the ground or should I just leave it intact?
It seems that if I connect (-) to the ground then the Left&Right XLR(-) would short circuit...

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #924 of 1,623
Minimal, if any impact.  The XLR and RCA connections are most likely connected internally in the DAC anyway, they are not fully seperate outputs. 

A splitter is no different than having a loop out... 

Anyway, you can certainly make adapters.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #925 of 1,623
Does anyone experience any ringing noise in the background when you set the DAC on sound properties to 24 bit/192khz. The ringing is gone when you set it to 16 bit/44hz. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #926 of 1,623
You can't set NAD M51 to 24 bit/192 KHz.
It's determined by the signal from source component (or from source material).
And there is no ringing noise then, no other issue.
Mus be the fault of source or material

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #927 of 1,623
Picked up a M51 recently...simply an awesome device.
Amazing sound and funcionality.  I love it's ability to take an HDMI from my pc (GTX680) for audio and video.  It allows me to use my tv a fourth monitor and get HQ audio with one cable...sounds even a bit better over HDMI vs usb imo.  Perfect solution for me.  The place I got it from allowed me to exchange my AV receiver (SR6006) for it and gave me full credit twards the M51...there upgrade program is awesome.  Now I just need to get an integrated amp that has two speaker outs (A/B) so I can easily switch between my PC and HT/listening room.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #928 of 1,623
Glad you like it.  I wanted to get M51 but couldn't find it cheap enough so I went with Onkyo p3000r DAC, which seems to stack up fairly well against M51.  I'd have tried to find comparisons but no luck.  With the Onkyo, there is no HDMI port and you have download some sort of driver from Onkyo onto your computer to use USB port.  But I like the build quality and it sounds great.    

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #929 of 1,623
When you say it stacks up fairly well do you mean comparing sound quality or features?

I really like the analog inputs on that Onkyo.  That's a feature I wish the NAD had.

Quote:
Glad you like it.  I wanted to get M51 but couldn't find it cheap enough so I went with Onkyo p3000r DAC, which seems to stack up fairly well against M51.  I'd have tried to find comparisons but no luck.  With the Onkyo, there is no HDMI port and you have download some sort of driver from Onkyo onto your computer to use USB port.  But I like the build quality and it sounds great.    

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #930 of 1,623
I meant the Onkyo and the NAD have similar features.  Unfortunately, I never found any information on a comparison between the two.  I would guess they are similar in sound quality with the NAD besting the Onkyo to a small degree.  We'll never know.  The analog inputs on the Onkyo do give it a bit more flexibility.  But, it does not have the HDMI inputs.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back