NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Mar 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #781 of 1,623
I'm not a fan of the pre amps / volume control being in my DACs.  I would rather them be build into the amp to take advantage of the superior analog volume control.  Although the NAD has one of the best digital volume control out there.  It's still not better than analog.  

Just my thoughts..

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #782 of 1,623
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the pre amps / volume control being in my DACs.  I would rather them be build into the amp to take advantage of the superior analog volume control.  Although the NAD has one of the best digital volume control out there.  It's still not better than analog.  

Just my thoughts..

what do you gain with analogue volume control? Thanks Prepro..

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #784 of 1,623
I look forward to your comparison of the D2 and M51!  Did my own some time back, would love to swop notes

I would literally pay you to share your impressions of your own comparison...please?

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #787 of 1,623
Quote:
I would literally pay you to share your impressions of your own comparison...please?

Right now the m51 is with Happy Camper.  He's doing the m51 vs. Lynx Hilo comparison first.  Then the m51 is going to SoupRKnowva so he can do his m51 vs. D2 comparison.  I can tell you this.  SoupRKnowva is not a big fan f the m51.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #788 of 1,623
Quote:
that was great! Thanks Preproman!

biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #789 of 1,623
Quote:

Right now the m51 is with Happy Camper.  He's doing the m51 vs. Lynx Hilo comparison first.  Then the m51 is going to SoupRKnowva so he can do his m51 vs. D2 comparison.  I can tell you this.  SoupRKnowva is not a big fan f the m51.

popcorn.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #790 of 1,623
It would be nice to have an android (or other mobile OSes) application to control the nad :)
I'm thinking of it because I'm lazy and I use smartphone with "squezeebox controller" to control Touch and other logitech players or to shutdown/restart/wake up computer with Logitech Media Server.
Of course additionally there must be a computer or other hardware (with server part of such application) that can receive commands from mobile and should be equipped with serial port to communicate with nad.
But it would be very nice :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #791 of 1,623
People have reported degraded SQ beyond firmware 1.39. Mine functions perfectly on that version and I love how it sounds. The only thing that would make me consider updating from 1.39 is DSD playback.

edit: I hate when people use edit to completely change their original post (eg the guy above). It distorts the context of the response.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #792 of 1,623
Wow. Listening to this level of DAC makes hearing differences very hard. It's a learning experience. Putting the thing on the balanced side has blossomed to it's full sound. So far, pretty evenly matched. I'm learning to listen again so I'll not comment further until a few days of experience between the two have been done.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #793 of 1,623
Wow. Listening to this level of DAC makes hearing differences very hard. It's a learning experience. Putting the thing on the balanced side has blossomed to it's full sound. So far, pretty evenly matched. I'm learning to listen again so I'll not comment further until a few days of experience between the two have been done.

Wait. You've been imparting impressions and you've gimped one of the components? Amateur shenanigans. :wink:

I call shenanigans here too.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #795 of 1,623
Of all he's heard, prepro has yet to disclose his choices and opinions in confidence.

Amateur - guilty. :xf_eek:

That's what makes this of some merit. No experience with previous gear of note. Just a relative snapshot of time to a relative noob to this level of DACs (from a CAL Sigma II).

Prepro has generously offered time with 4) $2k+ DACs and nothing more. No agenda, no profit. Well, other than the listening experience. :cool:

Project 86 warned this would be a hard task and I wouldn't find much difference but slight preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back