NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Mar 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #766 of 1,623
Quick question, off the top of your head, does anyone know the sampling rate limitation of optical out on the M51. Is the the same as HDMI and USB or is that one more limited? I did a quick look up but I could not find it. I will try some more, but if anyone of you just knows this, please share.

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #767 of 1,623
Quote:
Quick question, off the top of your head, does anyone know the sampling rate limitation of optical out on the M51. Is the the same as HDMI and USB or is that one more limited? I did a quick look up but I could not find it. I will try some more, but if anyone of you just knows this, please share.

Thanks!

The limit of all Optical (TOSLINK) at the moment is 24 bit/192 hz. Theoretically, TOSLINK can handle HD audio stream like HDMI; but at the moment, the SPDIF specification is capped at 24 bit/192 hz. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #768 of 1,623
Quote:
The limit of all Optical (TOSLINK) at the moment is 24 bit/192 hz. Theoretically, TOSLINK can handle HD audio stream like HDMI; but at the moment, the SPDIF specification is capped at 24 bit/192 hz. 

Thank you very much. I am getting Audioquest Cinnamon optical today to compare to my starlight USB and Cinnamon HDMI. I am pretty much using the HDMI to feed music to NAD and HDMI to my receiver for speakers. Gonna check if optical beats USB

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #770 of 1,623
Quote:
Check out locus design cables

already got one, but will def keep that in mind. 
By the way, while i have not done precise comparison it seem that optical provides better separation, but the final this is far form final assessment. I will let y'll know sometime sunday what the differences are, 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #771 of 1,623
"I can say you made a very good choice, at a recent meet the M7 was the only dac that pulled ahead of the rest of the midrange dacs pack we had present. The Anedio d2, pwd mk2, and the lynx Hilo were all too close to call at the meet but the m7 proved itself superior. I would love to have one!"

THis is a quote from a member on the Audio GD Master 7 thread who proceeds to say, when i asked for comparison to m51: 
The m51 was present as well. It was the only dac that wasn't up to snuff with the rest I felt.
z

I would like to know why. I am asking her bc this exchange was in a thread not dedicated to M7 or m51. I happen to like my m51, I cannot tell anything wrong with it, but wonna know if I am in fact missing something. IF anyone has insights please share

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #772 of 1,623
He really didn't have enough time with it.  I'm letting him hold on to it for a week or so in order for him to do a proper comparison.  This still is a tough group of DACs to go up against.  I'll be getting the D2 and the Hilo myself to do my own comparison. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #774 of 1,623
Quote:
I will literally pay you to compare the M51 and D2 :wink:

It will get done by three of us.  So it's coming...
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #776 of 1,623
Quote:

It will get done by three of us.  So it's coming...
biggrin.gif

Can anyone compare the m51 with the metrum octave..and especially the new mk2 with usb module and only one box? Just like his bigger brother the HEX

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #778 of 1,623
Quote:
He really didn't have enough time with it.  I'm letting him hold on to it for a week or so in order for him to do a proper comparison.  This still is a tough group of DACs to go up against.  I'll be getting the D2 and the Hilo myself to do my own comparison. 

thanks Prepromam

I am sure looking forward to your comparisons 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #779 of 1,623
A quick comment on the M51 as a preamp -- I've been using it recently in this role, splitting my Luxman integrated to use only its power section. My initial impressions were that the Lux "LECUA" preamp stage provided more apparent body and texture (like a fine shampoo) and that I preferred it. But with more revealing speakers the NAD seems more transparent and accurate, and it may be a better preamp overall. This NOT the case, for example, with the McIntosh D100, which sounded brighter and more fatiguing as a preamp in all the systems we used it in.

This is all to say that of the "digital preamps" I've auditioned recently, the M51 had by far the best-sounding preamp stage. It may not be the finest standalone DAC for all systems and tastes, but I reckon it's a very solid solution for those looking for a simplified DAC-to-amp setup. I was frankly surprised by how well the preamp functionality is implemented and by how good it sounds long-term.

best,

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back