NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Dec 6, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #556 of 1,623
Can anyone update me on the following:

1. Is it possible to integrate the M51 as a preamp in a multi-channel home theatre system? I like the DAC very much but without any analogue in I cannot figure out a way to integrate it, the HDMI in I understand is for stereo only.

2. Will NAD ever consider adding DSD over HDMI capability to it, or is it a done deal dead end?

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #561 of 1,623
Firmware 1.41 is attached - and can be downloaded below.

Disclaimer: Can't understand why the file itself can not be linked directly. Those downloading it, take own responsibility for any use of it. I.e. no "US I'll sue you if it fails, et al.". 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #562 of 1,623
Very interested in this new technology. I'm keeping an eye on the NAD C390DD, an integrated digital amp described as a DAC with a 150watt output, but first more reviews and some more time for the manufacturer to iron out the mistakes that are always in complex new products.
Price of this technology will probably go down too, I think this is the future of amps.

I agree. In fact, I ordered the DD390 yesterday. Very interested to give it a try in my system.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #563 of 1,623
Quote:

Disclaimer: Can't understand why the file itself can not be linked directly. Those downloading it, take own responsibility for any use of it. I.e. no "US I'll sue you if it fails, et al.". 
biggrin.gif

Thank's for a file. You haven't a changelog? 

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #564 of 1,623
Cheers for that.

Update instructions copy and pasted from Stereo.net.au
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-nad-m51-listening-impressions/page__st__1125#entry759023

Quote:
Hold left button when powering up, load hex file onto usb and insert into upgrade usb slot, from off position hold down left button below nad sign and switch m51 on,when u see bootloader message release button and wait for m51 to go to standby,then do a factory reset and thats you,ive sent file with instructions to you Gordik and will help anyone who needs update just drop me an email

I read this as:
1) Turn M51 off
2) Place USB stick w/hex file on into USB update slot
3) Turn on M51 holding down left button on front of display
4) When bootloader message pops up, release button and wait for M51 to go into standby
5) Perform a factory reset (I take it USB can be removed at any time after this)

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #565 of 1,623
Hi seems my m51 firmware file is old now 1.39 so will update but if anyone needs nads update instructions i can send them or loevhagen i can send to u if  u want to post with your update file thanks

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #568 of 1,623
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Many thanks for this, and to Somnambulist for the instructions. I've now installed this update and my Mini-based server works beautifully! There also seems to be slightly less bass bloom but I'm guessing that's a warmup thing and not an artifact of the update.

best,

o

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #570 of 1,623
Hi Danik97 ive updated but cant comment on sound improvements as yet as have only listened to two albums and used squeezebox touch as source so havent done any serious listening as yet but will hook up pc to m51 later and have a good listen,would like to see logs of changes made since 1.39 thats two updates we no nothing about,wonder if issue with squeezebox touch edo usb app has been addressed with new firmware,can anyone shed some light on changes please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back